LFA Model (2012)

...so i test drove a white lf-a this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 10:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA was never made to be a speed demon. And if you want to track the car, get some better tires like the GTR has. Of course the GTR will pull harder, it's AWD. The GTR is a great car, but it's in a total different 'category' compared to the LFA. Every thread turns out the same. GTR is the measuring stick by which the LFA should be measured. I wonder why? Because it's Japanese? Maybe Lamborghini and Ferrari should be judged with the GTR in mind as well.

I don't care for these arguments, but your test drive sounds like you went in a straight line back and forth, then you did the same with a GTR and concluded that it's better because it launched faster and is 'trackable'. There's no reason the LFA can't be tracked either. And it also includes Launch Control. GTR's have been around for a while, but they've been regarded as cars that lack the 'feel' of other cars like Porsche's and Ferrari's. Their racing counterparts have won some races, mostly in Japan, but Toyota has won just as many if not more races than Nissan.

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue anything here, but this just seems like another bait thread to me. LFA<GTR, slower in a straight line, more expensive etc. Same story as usual.
Old 02-06-12, 10:55 PM
trackrat11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice points
Old 02-06-12, 11:00 PM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

Originally Posted by TF109B
The LFA was never made to be a speed demon. And if you want to track the car, get some better tires like the GTR has. Of course the GTR will pull harder, it's AWD. The GTR is a great car, but it's in a total different 'category' compared to the LFA. Every thread turns out the same. GTR is the measuring stick by which the LFA should be measured. I wonder why? Because it's Japanese? Maybe Lamborghini and Ferrari should be judged with the GTR in mind as well.

I don't care for these arguments, but your test drive sounds like you went in a straight line back and forth, then you did the same with a GTR and concluded that it's better because it launched faster and is 'trackable'. There's no reason the LFA can't be tracked either. And it also includes Launch Control. GTR's have been around for a while, but they've been regarded as cars that lack the 'feel' of other cars like Porsche's and Ferrari's. Their racing counterparts have won some races, mostly in Japan, but Toyota has won just as many if not more races than Nissan.

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue anything here, but this just seems like another bait thread to me. LFA<GTR, slower in a straight line, more expensive etc. Same story as usual.
good points indeed, i really don't care for these arguments as well, my opinion was strictly based on a personal experience and the result of said events. in all it's honesty, i really like the lfa, but i feel like it's overprice. think of it as acura or infiniti asking $400k for their top car, insane. the gt-r is not, in my opinion the measuring stick, it is simply a capable competitor, for much, much less. one can track an lfa, but i don't see many owner doing so. who tracks their $350k scuderia, or lp640? certain cars fit a bill for just an exclusive purpose. a gumpert apollo or veyron are not cars to be tossed at an scca event. a gt3 rs, viper acr, zr1 vettefit the bill to be apex monsters...just like the gtr. i admire all cars, yes toyota has an extensive racing history, in all forms of motorsport... jgtc, baja, pikes peak, rally, indy, LeMans and the famous GT1 race car, nascar and even the stout land cruiser for the harsh australian outbacks and artic expeditions.

i admire all cars, and to the fella that assumes i have "common taste", i respect your opinion, but you, sir...are far off in your assumptions. again, it's simply my observation, but let's say this, if the lfa ranged in the $150-200k mark, i would prefer the lfa over the gt-r....it is just godly overpriced !
Old 02-07-12, 03:19 AM
js619858
Pole Position

First yes it's overprice but they are selling and have sold what they are making. If people are willing to buy a Ford Mustang for $500,000, Ford would be selling them for $500,000. Plus most people that buy the LFA are really rich and $400,000 is nothing to them.
Old 02-07-12, 03:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

When it comes to supercars, you are not buying just performance, you are buying a driving experience.

On the same argument, as you have here, did you ever see the EVO FQ400 vs Lamborghini video from Top Gear UK? Here we have a Lambo that just can't get away from a 4 door 4 cylinder Mitsubishi that costs $60k new.

Both the GTR and LFA are very capable cars, no doubt. IMO, the LFA and GTR are not cars worthy of comparison. The LFA is a true exotic, with a build quality higher than any exotic on the planet. I mean really, your type of comparison is really just along the lines of the same argument we see here and every other internet forum on a daily basis - that is, the comparison of cheaper cars vs. more expensive cars. Hell, find an old Supra for less than 20k, spend 10k on it, and you have a car faster than a GTR or an LFA... Does that mean the GTR is overpriced too? No, it just means it is not a good comparison.

When taking price into the factor, certain things like exclusivity and bragging rights are definitely part of it. My guess is that if you had enough money that it didn't matter, you wouldn't be ragging on the cost of the LFA... Lets get real, most people who could easily afford either are going to buy the LFA...

Here is the real test... Car payments... Someone with enough income (much less than you would imagine) can buy a GTR and finance it, try that with an LFA...
Old 02-07-12, 04:45 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
i admire all cars, and to the fella that assumes i have "common taste", i respect your opinion, but you, sir...are far off in your assumptions.
I didn't exactly say that, but no biggie. Your opinions are shaped by your preferences, expectations, prejudices, personal experience and so on. The notion that the LFA doesn't offer much for the money is a very common opinion. The factors that led up to this conclusion such as getting an equal performing car for less, or "think of it as acura or infiniti asking $400k for their top car", or "for the price/performance it does not stack up", is also a very common opinion. You raise some valid concerns that the general automotive base shares.............and there are counter-arguments for those. Unfortunately, they're not strong enough to sway what many have already agreed upon.
Old 02-07-12, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
First yes it's overprice but they are selling and have sold what they are making. If people are willing to buy a Ford Mustang for $500,000, Ford would be selling them for $500,000. Plus most people that buy the LFA are really rich and $400,000 is nothing to them.
nop, quite a few of them available for sale
Old 02-07-12, 04:53 PM
gtrnaisf
Rookie

i never understood why these arguments always come up, they are both amazing machines and should be appreciated for what they are. and as of price, for those who want to pay it, let them pay it. at the end of the day no body forces you to pay 100k for the gtr or 400k for the lfa.
Old 02-07-12, 10:23 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

OP mentions performance throughout, but only when coupled with price or in the context of lower-priced cars. I'm truly starting to wonder if we will ever get away from this absurd perspective of thinking about performance cars, as quite frankly it is not a point worthy of discussion. There is no such thing as "value" in performance vehicles, or else cutting-edge technology and short production runs would never exist in cars.

It also flabbergasts me to no end how an auto enthusiast could possibly get into any exotic - much less a legendary one like the LFA - and keep thinking "this car costs so much" or "I need to contextualize it with this other car that costs 1/5 the price". Like, seriously? You're looking at, getting into, and/or driving an LFA and that is what is really going through your mind? I still remember the first time I drove a Ferrari, and even though I could only dream of owning one at the time, any thoughts like those were certainly the furthest from my feelings.
Old 02-07-12, 10:40 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I am sure most of you have seen this already, but if not then at least it is an interesting vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5R-oi91bd4
Old 02-07-12, 11:54 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^thanks for the video..^
Now can I have the white LFA please...