LFA Model (2012)

Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]

Old 08-11-11, 01:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]

I wish it was Nurburgring edition merely because of the huge grip level differences of the super sport versus S001 tire.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9X2...mbedded#at=115

http://youtu.be/xYTWt9C77WE

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...lfa_video.html

Ferrari 599 GTO or Lexus LFA, V12 v V10: which screaming hypercar would you have? Let this video battle help you decide...

It's the battle of 2011's ultimate hypercars. The high-revving, sonorously-soundtracked V10 Lexus LFA and V12 Ferrari 599 GTO battle it out in the epic Scottish Highlands and on track. Which do you think sounds the best? Full story in evo issue 161, on sale Weds September 17.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-01-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 01:26 PM
Rolotomasu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, I really miss Border's....off to Barnes & Noble! Thx for the tip.
Old 08-11-11, 01:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

In the video, the top speed test was conducted on a crappy surface and LFA's light internal inertia will suffer due to the continuous jerks.

Anyway, good to see them using the real launch control system of the LFA.
Old 08-11-11, 01:46 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
In the video, the top speed test was conducted on a crappy surface and LFA's light internal inertia will suffer due to the continuous jerks.

Anyway, good to see them using the real launch control system of the LFA.
Bro give it a rest! The times for both cars seem a bit off, but the excuses are just ridiculous.
Old 08-11-11, 01:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Bro give it a rest! The times for both cars seem a bit off, but the excuses are just ridiculous.
Excuses for what?? It is my observation. No matter what the outcome is, Lexus is the one that should feel privileged for its car being the company of the halo Ferrari with a GTO badge on it. All I hope is, LFA holds its own and seems like a true competitor.

My post implies, LFA will be more affected because much like the Carrera GT, it has much lighter internals meaning it stores far less inertia in favor for more response. I should know because I run a 7 lbs Fidanza flywheel on my car. Unless, you understand the differences in the engine design, you would not know what I am talking about.

Look at the needle shaking and compare the two, if you still don't get it. LFA's tach needle is shaking a lot more.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 02:19 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

My post implies, LFA will be more affected because much like the Carrera GT, it has much lighter internals meaning it stores far less inertia in favor for more response. I should know because I run a 7 lbs Fidanza flywheel on my car. Unless, you understand the differences in the engine design, you would not know what I am talking about.

Look at the needle shaking and compare the two, if you still don't get it. It looked to me 185 mph for the LFA vs 194 mph for the GTO.
This guy! You have a lightweight flywheel and now you're an expert on engine design! All of what you are saying, no matter the merit of it, is moot and of no relevance to the absolute performance of this thing wrt to this particular test. Testers will never get lab-perfect conditions, surfaces, etc., so imo, you are wasting your breath.
Old 08-11-11, 02:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

My point is, it should have been conducted on a smooth track surface as it is normally the case, which is also where a car with light internals is designed to perform optimally since it trades inertia that is used to stabilize engine speed for better response. Case in point, LFA's tach needle should not be vibrating that badly since it disrupts power. If it does not make sense to you then stop talking smack already.

This guy! You have a lightweight flywheel and now you're an expert on engine design! All of what you are saying, no matter the merit of it, is moot and of no relevance to the absolute performance of this thing wrt to this particular test. Testers will never get lab-perfect conditions, surfaces, etc., so imo, you are wasting your breath.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the video.
No comments about the performance.
Might make what was already said worse.

I'd take either car. Since neither would get much track time from me, which is faster mean less to me.
Old 08-11-11, 04:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

3.8 secs and 4.2 secs. Obviously, both cars are capable of much quicker times on a suitable surface plus without the passenger sitting in the passenger seat, which is what my gripe is about this test that they should have picked a properly surface to get their best possible performance numbers out so that a proper picture can be painted.

Originally Posted by Ice350
Love the video.
No comments about the performance.
Might make what was already said worse.

I'd take either car. Since neither would get much track time from me, which is faster mean less to me.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-11 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 04:26 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Seems kinda unfair to have the regular LFA against the hardcore version 599 GTO. It would have been great to see the LFA Nurburgring Edition for a apples to apples comparison. Can't wait to read the entire review though.
Old 08-11-11, 04:30 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

It has nothing to do with me not understanding your concerns and theories. I do, but at this point it's just you nitpicking. I mean, it's just getting out of hand. This was a fair test in that the conditions were the same, same track, same drivers, etc. Maybe not an apples comparison, but it is a real world simulation on what the average owner might experience. People just don't have access to the best conditions, elevation, tires, or tarmac at their disposal. Neither do testers. Every time the LFA "fails" to meet YOUR expectations and standards, a theory or excuse is made for it. If all you are looking for is that perfect number to be showcased and advertised, you're just going to have to live with the fact that you're not gonna get it.

My point is, it should have been conducted on a smooth track surface as it is normally the case, which is also where a car with light internals is designed to perform optimally since it trades inertia that is used to stabilize engine speed for better response. Case in point, LFA's tach needle should not be vibrating that badly since it disrupts power. If it does not make sense to you then stop talking smack already.
Old 08-11-11, 05:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Relatively, the 599 actually ran a worse 0-60 in this test considering that Ferrari claims a 3.3s time. I wonder if the 599 was a special Ferrari-prepped media car. Either way, I'm glad that the LFA is still making the rounds and I'm looking forward to the comparo.
Old 08-11-11, 06:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Like in my previous post I had mentioned, two reasons:

1 - The surface is a very old abandoned runway with huge crevices in the form of a block pattern, which is what is resulting in a very bumpy and jerky acceleration

2 - The passenger is sitting in the passenger seat adding additional weight, which always adds 0.3 - 0.4 seconds to the time.

They should use a proper smooth track they generally use for all the other tests so that the numbers are actually reflective of how they generally conduct tests as best as possible with as few variables as possible. To someone just glancing at the numbers, he would neither care to research and find the proper context of the test. It would look like the 599 GTO is a lot slower than even the 458 Italia despite the 100 more horsepower while the LFA will seem to be only as quick as a stock IS-F.

Regarding the tires, I don't know if they are special or not, the 599 GTO is wearing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Atleast I know that they are much better designed tires than the S001 tires on the LFA. Michelin itself says their level of traction is much higher than the older PS2 tires.

I see Nurburgring edition LFA is the proper competitor for the GTO.

Originally Posted by gengar
Relatively, the 599 actually ran a worse 0-60 in this test considering that Ferrari claims a 3.3s time. I wonder if the 599 was a special Ferrari-prepped media car. Either way, I'm glad that the LFA is still making the rounds and I'm looking forward to the comparo.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-11-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 06:58 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

FWIW I think this comparo is more of a subjective versus an objective test with the following hints.
Originally Posted by EVO
"Which screaming hypercar would you have?"......."Which do you think sounds the best?"
EVO and most of the British magazines give cars a more comprehensive analysis. Check out the previous issue where the MP4-12C went against the F458. The McLaren won the numbers game, but the consensus was for the Ferrari. Surely makes it a more enjoyable read.
Old 08-11-11, 07:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Bro give it a rest! ... the excuses are just ridiculous.
This guy! You have a lightweight flywheel and now you're an expert on engine design! ...., so imo, you are wasting your breath.
If it does not make sense to you then stop talking smack already.
It has nothing to do with me not understanding your concerns and theories. I do, but at this point it's just you nitpicking. I mean, it's just getting out of hand.

Neither do testers. Every time the LFA "fails" to meet YOUR expectations and standards, a theory or excuse is made for it. If all you are looking for is that perfect number to be showcased and advertised, you're just going to have to live with the fact that you're not gonna get it.
Guys, I've quoted some of your wording that should have been left out of your posts and kept in your heads. You can discuss this in a non-confrontational manner and talk about the vehicles and the test even if you agree to disagree. And leave off the people posting in the thread or past history.

Knock off the rude back and forth and discuss this politely please. If you can't do that, stop posting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]