LFA Model (2012)

Dodge Viper ACR sets new Nürburgring lap time of 7:12....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 01:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no reason to 'fire bridgestone'. They've got tires that'll make PS2s look tame, but whats the point? They aren't streetable. The LFA is first, a Lexus.
Old 09-15-11, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Theres no reason to 'fire bridgestone'. They've got tires that'll make PS2s look tame, but whats the point? They aren't streetable. The LFA is first, a Lexus.
Ferrari fired Bridgestone for weak subpar performance of the S001 tires (that are on standard LFA) and opted for a custom-built version of Pilot Super Sport.

Anyway, fast and powerful are traits you’d expect of a car wearing the storied GTO badge. What you might not expect is how eagerly—and forgivingly—this latest GTO applies that power and speed to a given stretch of straights and curves. The fundamental mechanical elements of the dynamic upgrade versus the standard 599GTB Fiorano and the more aggressive Handling Gran Turismo Evoluzione (HGTE) version are stiffer spring rates and a heftier rear anti-roll bar. There’s also more grip. Ferrari estimates about 1.25 g, thanks to bigger contact patches from 285/30 front and 315/35 rear Michelin rubber made from a new compound. These Pilot Super Sports are a little stickier than the very sticky Pilot Sport Cups.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-15-11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is obvious after multitude of tests showing so much wasted potential due to Lexus' stubborn-ness to stick with Bridgestone. The IS-F suffered performance suffered as well when Lexus decided to "cheap out" by replacing the Pilot PS2 tires with RE050A tires:
yup, i was shocked when lexus started out with ps2 and then suddenly the bridgestone, quite wtf.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
What is the Lexus response as to why there are no announcements of changing tires for better performance numbers in the near future?

Every thread has a 'what if' or 'if then' after the original topic and then the endless speculation ensues. LFA NBG has a time of 7:14, that may be good enough for Lexus and unless there is an owner who decides differently, it is what it is.
that's lexus for you. like some pointed out before, once they made a decision, it's very hard to change. i think it should have pretty easy for lexus to keep the s001 and then just have another maybe better tire as optional equipment.

not to take any credit away from lexus at all. i for one never cared that much to the last details. as long as it has one of the better times, awesomely good enough for me.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if lexus won't put decent tires on an lfa, what's the point of flogging the ring?
imho it's lexus' philosophy to keep the car very streetable. just my 2 cents though

I understand your point, but if Lexus doesn't care, then we shouldn't either and the "oh we'd have better times with better times" argument should be put to rest as well and accept whatever place the LFA has carved for itself.
Old 09-15-11, 03:10 PM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The Nurburgring edition comes with decent high-grip tires. They work quite well on the race track. However, the standard LFA is a different story since cause too much oversteer very easily. Put an idiot driver like Randy Pobst in there who can get scared very easily and suddenly it becomes a "scary supercar".

They are weak both in lateral and longitudinal grip. They could do customers who are dishing out $375,000 a favor and do what Ferrari did. Fire Bridgestone.

Again, it was never a planned run. Akira Iida did it on his own that eventually got the support of Lexus. It was never done for publicity or marketing. Completely different from this. Lexus will definitely not go back and start getting into this rat race of quickest lap times. It was important to show case the capabilities of LFA, but not to get into a rat race with other manufacturers. Especially in this case where they take a 2 year old out-of-production car and then suddenly want to get the publicity for their brand.

GTR sales have plummeted so badly and it is completely dismal in sales as Porsche is simply killing it even with the out-dated 911 GT3 and Turbo S. GM and Nissan definitely will do it and try to bunny hop over the other, but Lexus will not.
Dude, you need to calm down and lay off the insults you are hurling at Pobst. The man is a multi championship winning race driver. Just because the results didn't turn out the way you wanted them to and he didn't think the LFA was greater than god, doesn't make him an idiot. He is relaying what his experience is in the car. Do you want him to lie? If he did then everyone else would question his integrity and disregard the test the same way you have, except they would have a valid reason.

Can the LFA wear better tires? Absolutely! Is it? No. You have to accept what the reality is. The LFA is blistering fast as it is.

I love the LFA as well, my dealership delivered one and standing in it's presence was awe inspiring, but you are taking that WAY too personally. There will ALWAYS be faster cars. Be comfortable in the fact that the LFA combines speed, comfort and class in one OUTSTANDING package.
Old 09-15-11, 03:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Seriously?? 9th?? out of 11 cars?? Only ahead of Evora S and 1M?? behind a Mustang Boss 302?? When LFA's lap time was almost identical to 458 Italia?? Behind a Porsche Cayman R?? 7 spots behind Nissan GTR?? All because of poor tires it is less "driver's car" than a Boss 302??? After admitting to have seen how Justin Bell was able to do with LFA what Pobst could not??

Feel free to disagree with me. He is a very questionable character.

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
Dude, you need to calm down and lay off the insults you are hurling at Pobst. The man is a multi championship winning race driver. Just because the results didn't turn out the way you wanted them to and he didn't think the LFA was greater than god, doesn't make him an idiot. He is relaying what his experience is in the car. Do you want him to lie? If he did then everyone else would question his integrity and disregard the test the same way you have, except they would have a valid reason.

Can the LFA wear better tires? Absolutely! Is it? No. You have to accept what the reality is. The LFA is blistering fast as it is.

I love the LFA as well, my dealership delivered one and standing in it's presence was awe inspiring, but you are taking that WAY too personally. There will ALWAYS be faster cars. Be comfortable in the fact that the LFA combines speed, comfort and class in one OUTSTANDING package.
Old 09-15-11, 04:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, i was shocked when lexus started out with ps2 and then suddenly the bridgestone, quite wtf.
The IS-F still comes with either / or... Bridgestones or PS2's..

Just got to be lucky with whats sitting on the showroom floor.

And im not too sure what the plans are for 2012.. maybe PS3's

~ Joe Z
Old 09-15-11, 06:31 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand your point, but if Lexus doesn't care, then we shouldn't either and the "oh we'd have better times with better times" argument should be put to rest as well and accept whatever place the LFA has carved for itself.
Its pretty hard not to care when you on a CAR enthusiast website haha.

I do agree that the LFA is blisteringly fast, but it did make me slightly sad that it was dethrone so quickly.
Old 09-15-11, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Congratulations to Fiat....err Chrsyler....on a car that there is no 2011 or 2012 model for but if you are interested in a 2010 unsold model, then this is the fastest out of production, unsold, still sitting on dealer lots 2010 car.

I guess that is a new "Ring" category.

Its still a cool accomplishment and I'm happy Fiat decided to wait to beat Lexus at the "ring"

Think about that...

Lexus INSPIRED the competition to run faster at the Ring.

Lexus....

Lexus.......

That speaks volumes.
Old 09-15-11, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congratulations to Fiat....err Chrsyler....on a car that there is no 2011 or 2012 model for but if you are interested in a 2010 unsold model, then this is the fastest out of production, unsold, still sitting on dealer lots 2010 car.

Its still a cool accomplishment and I'm happy Fiat decided to wait to beat Lexus at the "ring"

Think about that...

Lexus....

Lexus.......

That speaks volumes.
something inspired lexus to do and post about it to begin with too
Old 09-15-11, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The IS-F still comes with either / or... Bridgestones or PS2's..

Just got to be lucky with whats sitting on the showroom floor.

And im not too sure what the plans are for 2012.. maybe PS3's

~ Joe Z
maybe it was just my luck but i think the very first batch of isf i saw all came with ps2. then quickly it became a mix of both and then it's roll of dice
Old 09-16-11, 12:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow that didn't take long for someone to beat the LFA's time. I want to see a what the official time will be and what tires they used on the run. I am hoping that Lexus will respond with another attempt.
Old 09-16-11, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
indeed... they picked the tires that for them are best for overall street performance... not track tires. Any owner that wants to go to track can easily change the tires to something better suited.
Old 09-16-11, 05:13 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Think about that...

Lexus....

Lexus.......

That speaks volumes.
The ACR had the fastest time previously at one point when the car was in production and then got beat. This time they did it again with more seat time. A win is a win even if its against an overpriced Toyota...err I mean Lexus.
Old 09-16-11, 09:53 AM
socalrebel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
indeed... they picked the tires that for them are best for overall street performance... not track tires. Any owner that wants to go to track can easily change the tires to something better suited.
Having driven the ACR (2008 not 2010 still a Gen 4 though) many times on the track I have to say it is a great car. It comes with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups with a treadwear rating of 80 which is less grippier then a Hoosier R @ a 40 rating or a slick at a 00 rating, but better then a PS2 @ a 220 rating.

I don't know that the LFA "Ring" edition came with, I do know Bridgestone has a few 60 treadwear compounds that "could" of been used I don't know. The LFA is a great car and I did post on the Viper forum when it broke the ACR's record praising it although I wasn't happy about it.

The 2010 model had an important advantage over the '08 & '09 models and that was a shorter 5th and 6th gear. When it ran the 7:22 it topped out in 4th because 5th was unusable and it kept bouncing off the rev limiter that was not the case in the 2010 hence the 10 second difference.

Just so everybody knows there is not a single "nanny" on the ACR except antilock brakes, no traction control......nothing so they are really fun and sometimes scary to road race. Competition is healthy, it's what makes cars keep getting better. Unfortuately Federal regulations are going to make these supercars obsolete. Now we wait for the GenV to come out and it will be made by Fiat

Last edited by socalrebel; 09-16-11 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 10:16 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the 'aids' can be turned off in the LFA as well. Not sure the tread rating of the RE070's, but I'm positive they're not as grippy as those Michellin's. Don't really matter, the two are pretty equal, just one does so on better tires and the other is an exotic.

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper ACR sets new Nürburgring lap time of 7:12....