LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Edition Laps Nordschleife in 7:14

Old 09-07-11, 05:16 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
They're still on this plain/beige bandwagon? even a record breaking exotic car can't catch a break because its a Lexus. If the 458 italia did 7:14, it'd be a WHOLE OTHER STORY, but it won't.

I think "plain vanilla" in this case is only contrasting the showroom version with the Nürburgring version. I don't think this author was taking the usual jab at Lexus for being quiet and boring. But it's still a less-than-flattering word choice.

PS: Be sure to check out the comments on the linked page. The haters are already foaming at the mouth.

Last edited by 2008ES; 09-07-11 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 10:06 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I think not having a lap time for the standard LFA will somehow make people think there is a much bigger gap between the two cars than it actually is. A 7:21 - 7:22 on the standard LFA would have eliminated it.

On a side note, the 298 km/h maximum trap speed of the LFA Nurburgring is insane. It is probably the highest speed I have seen in all the videos I have seen of ZR-1, GTR etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-07-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 10:16 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because he held those gears and let the LFA do its thing at 9000rpm+ ...others probably short shifted but not Iida-San
Old 09-07-11, 10:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
Because he held those gears and let the LFA do its thing at 9000rpm+ ...others probably short shifted but not Iida-San
Yeah, at the top of the uphill climb, the speed was 288 km/h and then after the top of the hill, there is a downhill descent where most drivers chicken out and hit the brakes immediately going downhill while Iida kept on the gas and hit 298 km/h downhill most likely because LFA was so stable and composed at those speeds that it inspired confidence in him to keep on the throttle as soon as it started going downhill.
Old 09-07-11, 10:38 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

This is exactly the type of buzz Lexus needs. Good work Lexus!
Old 09-07-11, 11:24 AM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Sweet! & On the Stock Bridgstone's none the less!

Still wonder how many seconds they could shave off if it used the same tires the ZR1 & GT2 RS used?

Interesting page:
Fastest Production Car Lap of the Nurburgring (From Bridgetogantry.com)

_

Last edited by aQuarius26; 09-07-11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 12:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Offical Follow-up Story provided by "Krew" of LexusEnthusiast.com

Official: Lexus Releases Video of 7:14.64 LFA Nürburgring Lap

Originally Posted by krew
  • We knew it was coming — here is the official video (with telemetry) of Akira Iida’s 7:14.64 lap around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in the Lexus LFA Nürburgring Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4wVb5QkZiQ
  • With this ultra-quick time, the Lexus LFA Nürburgring edition is now the fourth fastest production car to run the ‘Ring, and the fastest-ever from a mainstream manufacturer. Some details from the press release:

LFA test driver and professional racer Akira Iida recorded a lap time of 7:14.64 in a fully road-legal car, running on standard specification Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres.

The result, posted on 31 August during a performance test, demonstrates Lexus’s success in honing its two-seater supercar for track-focused handling, by introducing a range of aerodynamic features and fine-tuning the car’s suspension.

Commenting on the result, Iida said: “We are delighted with this achievement. Our on-going development of the LFA and our recent outings at the Nürburgring 24 Hour race have enabled us to continue to tune the vehicle. The result with the LFA Nürburgring Package shows the car’s ultimate performance and agility. This is a first activity of its type for Lexus and the constant effort of the team has brought this fantastic result.”

Haruhiko Tanahashi, LFA Chief Engineer, said: “The LFA Nürburgring Package is the culmination of our extensive testing programme and we have appreciated the opportunities to use the Nürburgring Nordschleife to strengthen and develop the LFA into the vehicle it is today. The development team’s obsession, Iida-san’s concentration and good course conditions all led to our achieving this record.”
  • An amazing result, and something for everyone at Lexus to be proud of — congratulations to both Iida-san & the LFA development team!

~ Joe Z
Old 09-07-11, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
This is exactly the type of buzz Lexus needs. Good work Lexus!
yup. few of us have been saying huh
Old 09-07-11, 12:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
Sweet! & On the Stock Bridgstone's none the less!

Still wonder how many seconds they could shave off if it used the same tires the ZR1 & GT2 RS used?
Well this Edition receives "Special Bridgestone's", which are OEM equipment and road legal for the Nurburgring LFA...

Bridgestone Potenza RE070 Tires

"Click on below for SUPER LARGE photo.."

The standard LFA receives Bridgestone Potenza S001's

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-07-11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 12:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ES
I think "plain vanilla" in this case is only contrasting the showroom version with the Nürburgring version. I don't think this author was taking the usual jab at Lexus for being quiet and boring. But it's still a less-than-flattering word choice.

PS: Be sure to check out the comments on the linked page. The haters are already foaming at the mouth.
To me, plain vanilla sounds like exactly what it sounds like. I can't imagine any other way to spin it.

I just went to see the comments and this one was full of substance!

Davekaybsc
September 7th, 2011 at 8:43 am
This car is simply too expensive to matter. It should’ve been a modern day NSX, not some $400K alternative to Aventador with Gallardo horsepower. Both Lamborghinis look SO MUCH better. Lexus also never even bothered to name it, LF is what they use to designate a concept car.
Old 09-07-11, 12:35 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
Of course! Was waiting for official statements before I got too excited. Better to be sure than react to hear say. I wonder how many orders were placed after this news.
Old 09-07-11, 12:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl

More than a few...

It was only a matter of "time", before they were ready to reveal it to the World..

Joe Z
Old 09-07-11, 12:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I still am afraid that the standard LFA will get left out because most people would tend to think the Nurburgring edition to be "Godly version of the standard LFA", which is not true.

They needed to show that the standard LFA is not too far behind either even if it turns out to be 7:21 - 7:23 on those super mediocre S001 tires.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-07-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 01:33 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[rant]

The fact the Radical cars hold the top two "production" lap times is idiotic in my opinion. They're basically large go-karts with streetable tires and a muffler. No A-pillar. No windshield or any windows. No airbags. No DOORS. Lets see one of those make their way over just one of the large speed bumps they have on the streets in front of many elementary schools in my town. The front end would be wrecked even before the tire touches the speedbump.

The Gumpert is in my mind the legitimate top lapper, but even then there's no comparison between the streetability between that and the LFA Nur.

[/rant]
Old 09-07-11, 02:08 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with your rant. Here's a simple gif I made of the cars preceding the LFA.
Attached Thumbnails -nur.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Edition Laps Nordschleife in 7:14