LFA Model (2012)

Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 10:53 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Surprised by the lack of comments around here, this is probably the highest praise the LFA has received in terms of wins or choice over some other exotic. To beat a Ferrari is amazing let alone one with the GTO badge.
I'll just add my 2 cents as a general reply to the sentiments in the thread, not to your post specifically. But I'm not surprised that the LFA is a better exotic than the 599 GTO. And no one else should be, either.

Everyone who knows the engineering behind the LFA and the dynamics and track performance it offers knows the LFA is a better driver's car than the 599 GTO. They come from different directions. The LFA is a technical masterpiece of a hardcore sportscar (albeit some nice dressing in the interior and amenities on the standard model to make it seem otherwise); the 599 is just another Ferrari GT car. It takes the HGTE and GTO variants, while still inferior, just to approach the LFA.

So no, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the LFA is superior. The surprise is only that one of the top automotive magazines will admit it.

We also all know the 599 GTO doesn't deserve that badge anyway. Of course, that's certainly to Ferrari's shame and discredit, not the LFA's.

I won't be a party-pooper for anyone who wants to celebrate just how much better the LFA has to be than the 599 GTO to get magazines to admit it, though.
Old 08-19-11, 10:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I really wish CarAndDriver can do a Lexus LFA vs 458 Italia comparo. I would love to read it.

p.s. Every top end acceleration test I have seend has consistently shown one major flaw Lexus LFA has. Too much downforce (556 lbs at 200 mph). That claimed 202 mph top speed and acceleration to get there is very very questionable.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-19-11 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 07:17 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Lexus beats Ferrari. I wonder how that is going over in Italy right about now?
Forget @ Ferrari. The must be mass hysteria going on over at ferrari chat et al right now.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I really wish CarAndDriver can do a Lexus LFA vs 458 Italia comparo. I would love to read it.

p.s. Every top end acceleration test I have seend has consistently shown one major flaw Lexus LFA has. Too much downforce (556 lbs at 200 mph). That claimed 202 mph top speed and acceleration to get there is very very questionable.
you can have a wingless LFA. I'll keep the down force than you very much.
Old 08-20-11, 07:01 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

This is very sweet win for team LFA, especially when you consider the main goal for the LFA was the driving experience. I hope this will quiet a lot of critics who focused on specs and stats.

Originally Posted by gengar
I'll just add my 2 cents as a general reply to the sentiments in the thread, not to your post specifically. But I'm not surprised that the LFA is a better exotic than the 599 GTO. And no one else should be, either.

Everyone who knows the engineering behind the LFA and the dynamics and track performance it offers knows the LFA is a better driver's car than the 599 GTO. They come from different directions. The LFA is a technical masterpiece of a hardcore sportscar (albeit some nice dressing in the interior and amenities on the standard model to make it seem otherwise); the 599 is just another Ferrari GT car. It takes the HGTE and GTO variants, while still inferior, just to approach the LFA.

So no, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the LFA is superior. The surprise is only that one of the top automotive magazines will admit it.

We also all know the 599 GTO doesn't deserve that badge anyway. Of course, that's certainly to Ferrari's shame and discredit, not the LFA's.

I won't be a party-pooper for anyone who wants to celebrate just how much better the LFA has to be than the 599 GTO to get magazines to admit it, though.
Old 08-20-11, 07:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Though, I am very happy indeed that LFA won.

However, I don't think that will happen (quieting the stats and data critics). Subjective and objective data/experience metrics both carry their own weight. Who places more emphasis on which part completely depends on the person talking.

There is no rational way to measure subjective metrics. It all is based on preferences. I mean, that is what racing and other competitive sports are all about. Competition is what makes things better and results in improvement and metrics are what determine how things are getting better, if at all. So the magazine placing more importance on objective data and metrics are as correct as anyone else.

IMO, I truly personally believe Lexus underestimating the importance of objective metrics is what cost them substantially in sales since the competition is so stiff that nearly every exotic supercar is offering a healthy mix of everything.

p.s. On a side note, I stopped by a coin car wash today and was shocked to see right in front of me a graphite grey 458 Italia being washed a shorts and t-shirt clad guy. It is the 4th 458 Italia I have seen this summer in Calgary. I have a video clip of it on my iPhone as well.

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
This is very sweet win for team LFA, especially when you consider the main goal for the LFA was the driving experience. I hope this will quiet a lot of critics who focused on specs and stats.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-20-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 06:25 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

It's just too funny that I was going to say what more can you want after having respected auto writters declaring the LFA beat out the current Ferrari GTO in a head to head comparo...
You can't please everyone out there on the internet. However, for those who took the time to research the LFA would know that Lexus has exceeded their own expectation for the car. Noticed that they wanted the LFA drivers to have the best driving experience, but they've never stated a bench mark?
Anyways, beating an GTO is no small feat regardless of how you sliced it.
Regarding 458, I am sure it is a very nice Ferrari that might occasionally get too hot... but you need to realize that it is a mass produced model that just the opposit of what the LFA is. 5-10 years from now, there will be 10000 458s running around vs 500 LFAs, so you will see more and more of the former.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Though, I am very happy indeed that LFA won.

However, I don't think that will happen (quieting the stats and data critics). Subjective and objective data/experience metrics both carry their own weight. Who places more emphasis on which part completely depends on the person talking.

There is no rational way to measure subjective metrics. It all is based on preferences. I mean, that is what racing and other competitive sports are all about. Competition is what makes things better and results in improvement and metrics are what determine how things are getting better, if at all. So the magazine placing more importance on objective data and metrics are as correct as anyone else.

IMO, I truly personally believe Lexus underestimating the importance of objective metrics is what cost them substantially in sales since the competition is so stiff that nearly every exotic supercar is offering a healthy mix of everything.

p.s. On a side note, I stopped by a coin car wash today and was shocked to see right in front of me a graphite grey 458 Italia being washed a shorts and t-shirt clad guy. It is the 4th 458 Italia I have seen this summer in Calgary. I have a video clip of it on my iPhone as well.
Old 08-21-11, 09:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

It's just too funny that I was going to say what more can you want after having respected auto writters declaring the LFA beat out the current Ferrari GTO in a head to head comparo...
You can't please everyone out there on the internet. However, for those who took the time to research the LFA would know that Lexus has exceeded their own expectation for the car. Noticed that they wanted the LFA drivers to have the best driving experience, but they've never stated a bench mark?
Regarding 458, I am sure it is a very nice Ferrari that might occasionally get too hot... but you need to realize that it is a mass produced model that just the opposit of what the LFA is. 5-10 years from now, there will be 10000 458s running around vs 500 LFAs, so you will see more and more of the former.
agreed.
Old 08-26-11, 05:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

besides the obvious 'great to hear' outcome, I thought the comparison was very well written.
Old 08-26-11, 08:12 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-29-11, 06:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Our (subscription) Evo with this article in it arrived today.

LF-A on the front cover!

This is our favorite car magazine and worth the purchase. The pictures are worth the price alone and the Ferrari vs LFA article is no exception, spec-tac-ular. Edit, was going to scan and post but see this has already been done on earlier pages.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-29-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 07:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. I will go buy it this weekend.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Our (subscription) Evo with this article in it arrived today.

LF-A on the front cover!

This is our favorite car magazine and worth the purchase. The pictures are worth the price alone and the Ferrari vs LFA article is no exception, spec-tac-ular. Edit, was going to scan and post but see this has already been done on earlier pages.
Old 09-07-11, 05:10 PM
ponychaser
Driver School Candidate

I'd be happy with either car. I wish I could be one of these rich ***** riding around in their cars that cost as much as homes.
Old 09-18-11, 03:09 PM
LexFather

It is in bookstores!! Well Barnes & Nobles since Borders is gone Overall a fantastic issue with a lot of other great reads.
Old 09-18-11, 08:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, definitely one of the high points for the Lexus LFA where a European magazine declared it the winner over the halo Ferrari 599 GTO.

Quite a contrast from the idiot American magazines like Motor trend where they hire a biased moron like Randy Pobst who claims even a Boss 302 Mustang is a more "driver's car" than the LFA.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is in bookstores!! Well Barnes & Nobles since Borders is gone Overall a fantastic issue with a lot of other great reads.
Old 09-18-11, 09:06 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He sure likes Volvo's though!

Quick Reply: Evo magazine teaser: Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTO [Video]