LFA Model (2012)

Son of Supra - C&D article from 2005 on LFA

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 08:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Default Son of Supra - C&D article from 2005 on LFA

I remember reading this when it first came out, but when I stumbled across it again tonight, I thought it might be interesting reading / viewing for members who missed the original and have now seen the end result.

Pretty neat how some things are spot on and others changed over time.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...supra-car_news
Son of Supra - Toyota's most outrageous project to date...BY PETER LYON, PHOTOGRAPHY BY HOLIDAY AUTO
January 2005

Rumors of a 500-hp supercar from Toyota have been floating about for the past year. One insider suggested the car wouldn't launch until Toyota's Formula 1 fortunes include some podium finishes. So, given last season's undistinguished F1 performances, the supercar may still be a way off. Nonetheless, Toyota crews were recently spied testing a prototype on the road.

From these images we can glean that the supercar will be Toyota's most outrageous project to date. Early reports suggested the car would be powered by a mid-engined, detuned version of the Formula 1 V-10. The latest intelligence indicates the engine will be mounted in front and will be a 4.5-liter V-10 jointly developed by Toyota and Yamaha. It won't be related to Toyota's F1 V-10.

The supercar's engine is expected to produce at least 480 horsepower, possibly even 500. One source hinted that the supercar may employ hybrid technology, which would boost fuel economy as well as torque, but we couldn't confirm that.

Problems can arise from such sleek, low-slung bodies, requiring some clever packaging solutions. Even experienced eyes have been stumped by spy photos that show insufficient front air intakes or cooling ducts necessary for a 500-hp engine. The absence of these items seems to indicate a rear-engine placement, but in fact, the engine is in front, and the radiators are in the rear fenders, just below the tacked-on taillights. Camouflage attempts to hide these ducts. These renderings show ducting up front, but we were told it will be for aerodynamics and brake cooling.

Just as Toyota is developing a supercar to take on the likes of Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Ferrari, and even the upcoming 450-hp Nissan Skyline GT-R, internal dissension threatens the existence of this project. One faction is concerned that a company so rooted in hybrid powertrains and fuel economy will damage its image by producing a ridiculously high-powered two-seat vehicle. The opposing faction welcomes the supercar but is hotly debating whether to use a high-output version of the 5.0-liter V-8 from the upcoming redesigned Lexus LS sedan or build the V-10. Arguably, the V-10 would give the supercar a bit more prestige and distinction, but a V-8 would cost less, perform similarly, and likely swill less fuel.

So we know there is a V-10 lurking under the hood of the prototypes, but will that change before the $100,000-to-$120,000 car goes on sale as early as 2006? One thing is certain: If the Toyota Formula 1 effort snatches a couple of victories, Toyota will want to celebrate in a big way. What could be better than a supercar?
edit - I searched and didn't find this posted on CL, but keywords were difficult to sort out so apologies if this is a recent repost.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-29-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 09:42 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I remember following this car for, what nearly 10 years now?
Old 04-29-11, 09:59 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave. This is an interesting article for those of us that weren't following the "mythical" Lexus performance cars back in '05.
Old 04-29-11, 10:29 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember reading this article, and it's amazing how much of the stuff was actually correct (not to mention how much of the correct stuff made it into the production version).

Of course, reading the article also makes me sad. I really wish that Toyota's F1 stint had wound up differently, especially given Kamui Kobayashi (who almost certainly would have been the Toyota's 2nd driver the year after they quit) and his current success with Sauber. I really also feel Toyota dropped the ball in terms of taking advantage of their F1 team and using it for marketing purposes and releasing sporty vehicles. It's funny how the LFA and FT-86 and successors are all now long after Toyota quit.

Of course, F1 is a complete moneysink... no one would argue about that.
Old 04-29-11, 11:23 PM
LexFather

Dave you know what struck me. When we met Ethan years ago at one of the Deals Gap meets, maybe 2003 or so, I remember him saying Lexus was working on a sports car that is incredible. I asked him something like "a super SC 430" and he was like "no something really special" and he didn't know much details but it was like a super car.

Funny, never really thought about it until recently.

To the article it seems on point as the price mentioned is $150 grand or so, the price of the car when it was aluminum, before they switched to Carbon Fiber. The pic with the rear shot is pretty good!
Old 04-30-11, 07:56 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I remember reading this article, and it's amazing how much of the stuff was actually correct (not to mention how much of the correct stuff made it into the production version).

Of course, reading the article also makes me sad. I really wish that Toyota's F1 stint had wound up differently, especially given Kamui Kobayashi (who almost certainly would have been the Toyota's 2nd driver the year after they quit) and his current success with Sauber. I really also feel Toyota dropped the ball in terms of taking advantage of their F1 team and using it for marketing purposes and releasing sporty vehicles. It's funny how the LFA and FT-86 and successors are all now long after Toyota quit.

Of course, F1 is a complete moneysink... no one would argue about that.
***sigh*** tell me about it. While I'm glad to have the LFA an the FT-86 on the way, I would have really liked for a few wins and a solid championship run last year. That would have been awesome. Kobayashi and Timo.. or even Kimi.