LFA Model (2012)

Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 05:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I disagree.

They also traded for a single-clutch transmission for higher mechanical efficiency (look at the spectacular dyno numbers) and light weight of the transmission (110 lbs lighter, according to the chief engineer).

The thing that is truly hurting LFA's lap times are those mediocre performance tires it is wearing. I presented all the data comparison of different types of tires and LFA's tires are not even considered high-grip tires, which even cars like GTR, GT2, GT3 RS etc. have.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again the LFA doesn't offer a dual clutch to keep some character and rawness of feeling the shift. It surely hurts lap times in exchange for a more intimate experience (though its no manual). A dual clutch at speed is a rather uneventful thing, think CVT in a hybrid
Old 04-28-11, 07:31 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't know if ya seen this teaser yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur22Wk7SMU4
Old 04-28-11, 11:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't think Porsche has a choice but to keep manual in the GT3 series.
From my understanding its a purity issue for now that will eventually go away next generation (like air cooled in the past, etc). Surely a manual will be offered but it seems PDK will appear on GT cars with the 991.....

Heck they are racing a hybrid now

Porsche clearly has the purity edge making manuals but me thinks they want faster lap times to brag and they will need PDK to accomplish this.

I guess we will see in the new few years.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I disagree.

They also traded for a single-clutch transmission for higher mechanical efficiency (look at the spectacular dyno numbers) and light weight of the transmission (110 lbs lighter, according to the chief engineer).

The thing that is truly hurting LFA's lap times are those mediocre performance tires it is wearing. I presented all the data comparison of different types of tires and LFA's tires are not even considered high-grip tires, which even cars like GTR, GT2, GT3 RS etc. have.
I am no Scott Pruett but the difference in tranny between dual clutch vs a convectional setup can slow lap times, especially if its a course that requires a lot of shifting. The time adds up. I love the LFA but it is what it is. If Lexus wanted to sacrifice .5 seconds or so for a more intense driving experience well I'll take the latter. The fact of the matter is most of the owners rather a smile on their face driving and having fun than having a smile on their face beating someone by .01 of a second. Lets be real here unless one is some sort of race car driver these cars will not be driven anywhere NEAR these lap times by professionals at these circuits.

As an example within Lexus having driven the IS F and IS F-sport at the track the difference in shift times might not seem like much on paper but its staggering at the track. The F-sport is much more relaxed to shift, even with the paddle shifters. On the street most of the time it feels perfectly fine. On the track you notice it is lethargic especially driving the IS-F with its trick tranny back to back.

In regards to tires I hope they specify if a car has semi-slicks, like Pilot Cups for instance compared to a PS2 which is a road tire. I've read reviews where they do note that a car has Cups which have tremendous grip when heated but drive horrid when cold (compared to a car without Cups).
Old 04-29-11, 07:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I am not necessarily just talking about R compound tires. I am talking about high-grip tires, which do not necessarily mean R compounds. These non R compound tires still work when they are cold and also reasonably in the wet. However, they have extreme dry grip.

An example of that is the GTR GT Maxx DSST 600 tires, which are far more gripppier than the LFA tires (which is why they are ranked "extreme performance" and not "max performance"), but still they are nott R compound track tires.

If you consider the Potenza family, think RE70 that are comparable high-grip tires that are not R compounds (RE70R are R compounds). Lexus decided to put those on the Nurburgring edition when they should have been on the standard LFA as a minimum.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In regards to tires I hope they specify if a car has semi-slicks, like Pilot Cups for instance compared to a PS2 which is a road tire. I've read reviews where they do note that a car has Cups which have tremendous grip when heated but drive horrid when cold (compared to a car without Cups).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-29-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-29-11, 11:31 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

This is the last episode of Best Motoring since 1984. Officially they released today, it has been cancelled.

Originally Posted by SC300_704
don't know if ya seen this teaser yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur22Wk7SMU4
Old 04-29-11, 11:41 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing slow about the LFA's shifts, compared to dual clutch trans. it may not be as fast, but its surely not slow. The 911 is AWD for one, and its gearing is probably just right, but around the ring, it still lost out to the LFA. The scans of the article are on this forum. The SLS AMG was just as fast, and weve already seen that lose to the LFA on AutoZeitung, the very same magazine who did this GTR 911 comparo.
Old 04-29-11, 11:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. AutoBild Germany comparo. LFA spanked the PDK Turbo S by 6 seconds around Nurburgring.

Some of the quickest cars around a track have the slowest archaic transmissions of all (6 speed manual).

Originally Posted by TF109B
There is nothing slow about the LFA's shifts, compared to dual clutch trans. it may not be as fast, but its surely not slow. The 911 is AWD for one, and its gearing is probably just right, but around the ring, it still lost out to the LFA. The scans of the article are on this forum. The SLS AMG was just as fast, and weve already seen that lose to the LFA on AutoZeitung, the very same magazine who did this GTR 911 comparo.
Old 04-29-11, 12:24 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the last episode of Best Motoring since 1984. Officially they released today, it has been cancelled.
Wow!!! A very sad day for the JDM fans for sure. I'm only glad that the LFA at least made it there before the show is cancelled.
Old 04-29-11, 01:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

They definitely were controversial always. However, every video I watched was very entertaining with twists and turns. I will miss not being able to watch Best Motoring anymore.

Only now, if I could buy that last DVD from somewhere.

Originally Posted by ydooby
Wow!!! A very sad day for the JDM fans for sure. I'm only glad that the LFA at least made it there before the show is cancelled.
Old 04-29-11, 05:39 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no more Best Motoring? that sucks!!
Old 04-30-11, 08:54 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something wrong with what I said? I guess you're not getting what I mean, so let me explain it; autozeitung didn't use launch control on the LFA, so the acceleration was slower, if they did use it, it would have been CLOSER! I don't think that's an unreasonable guess. I'm not talking about 0-60, I mean to 200kmh. Gengar pretty much proved that AZ had better 100 to 200kmh acceleration in the LFA than the GTR.
That problem is that you and others think that launch control is going to make it or break it for this car, which I don't believe is going to be as significant as you think.

Read on:

Old 04-30-11, 04:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

You show 1 instance of a magazine who did this test, and are known to use 1foot roll outs for their acceleration tests. I said the LFA would be closer than the gtr if they used l/c. 3.9 seconds compared to 3.6 is a good deal of time when adding it to the run up to 200kmh. For all we know they might have short shifted it the way Inside Line did. You're making it seem like I said the LFA would match the 911 in acceleration tests.
Old 04-30-11, 06:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Granted launch control can help in the case of LFA give consistent results and seems like the Best Motoring video proves LFA atleast outlaunched the GTR, I still don't believe LFA can match the PDK turbo 911 acceleration numbers under any circumstances. Off the line, turbo S is completely a slingshot and it's best 1/4 mile numbers are 10.8 seconds.

You show 1 instance of a magazine who did this test, and are known to use 1foot roll outs for their acceleration tests. I said the LFA would be closer than the gtr if they used l/c. 3.9 seconds compared to 3.6 is a good deal of time when adding it to the run up to 200kmh. For all we know they might have short shifted it the way Inside Line did. You're making it seem like I said the LFA would match the 911 in acceleration tests.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-30-11 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 12:36 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

458 Italia vs ZR-1 vs NSX-R vs 360 RSD vs 370Z

Here 458 Italia is the 3rd quickest in the time attack. However, it comfortably wins over other cars in the battle.

Gearing on the 458 Italia is stupid short ofcourse, due to the insane 5.3:1 final axle ratio (thanks to 7th gear for overdrive comfort and 9000 rpm redline).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFbH7...mbedded#at=106

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9Pu...embedded#at=99

Also, the last ever episode of Best Motoring:

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-01-11 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 11:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Granted launch control can help in the case of LFA give consistent results and seems like the Best Motoring video proves LFA atleast outlaunched the GTR, I still don't believe LFA can match the PDK turbo 911 acceleration numbers under any circumstances. Off the line, turbo S is completely a slingshot and it's best 1/4 mile numbers are 10.8 seconds.
No, I know that. I just said it'd be closer to it than the GTR is. Around the track is another story.

Quick Reply: Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS