LFA Model (2012)

CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 03:12 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I have to ask this question though gengar - you must have considered other exotics, why did you settle on the LFA and not a Lambo or Ferrari for example.

Putting on a flame suit now.
It's a fair question, no flame suit needed. Certainly I've considered other exotics, and frankly, most other exotic manufacturers should probably thank Lexus for creating the LFA and getting me to commit to it, because I'm enjoying my experience greatly. It's definitely opened the door to a very long (and extremely costly...) path for me.

So why the LFA? It's the best supercar I've ever driven, ridden in, or even sat in, so that made the decision easy. I hesitated a long time to get a supercar but I decided I was not going to pass up the LFA because it's just that amazing. The engineering and build quality is really impeccable and such is quite obvious from just getting in the driver's seat and working all the switches and levers - not even turning the engine on. Chris Harris was spot on with his review in that this is a car that exudes "special-ness" from every angle and every perspective. It feels special on the road, it feels special on the track, and it feels special even just sitting in it in my garage. There's no other car I've been in that comes close to this.

I've always been a Ferrari fan. I almost bought a 360 CS on two different occasions in the mid-2000s. Even with all the gear and swag that Lexus has given me over the last year (they just sent me two more polos and two more jackets this week, btw) I easily have more Ferrari stuff that I've collected since I was a kid.

I've grown a bit disenchanted with Ferrari though. The FF is just atrocious - it makes me want to trash all my Ferrari memorabilia. I've given the 458 design months but it's not growing on me. And 458s spontaneously igniting isn't attractive either. To top it off, Ferrari's devious deceptions in magazine reviews doesn't help their case. It's impossible to be a fan of an unrepentant cheater.

And the big problem with Ferrari is, they're a pain in the *** to deal with. I don't want to be restricted to dealing with one dealership. I don't want to be forced into paying that dealer off by buying several used models at massive markups (over new MSRP) just to cut the massive line to order a new model, and still have to risk other people cutting in line in front of me.

The LFA buying experience was a stark contrast. It's a joke when people talk about Lexus making people "jump through hoops" to buy one - if a three-minute phone call is "jumping through hoops" I don't know how to describe Ferrari's process of a multi-year wait involving bribing a dealer by buying multiple vehicles at massive premiums. Furthermore, I didn't have to deal with dealers at all - I got to deal with the top caliber employees that Lexus has to offer. The brand manager, the two Lexus central PS', and the Lexus west PS that I regularly interacted with throughout my experience were consummate professionals. (It has really made me realize how much the concept of the dealership network is a sham - a waste of time, effort, and money.)

As far as Lamborghini - I'm not a fan of AWD. The styling is a bit much for me. Still, I think the Gallardo is a fantastic vehicle. Maybe without the LFA, I'd have considered the LP550-2. I think that one is amazing, not least because it's named after Valentino Balboni. The 90° angle grates on me though.

My next performance car will probably be a Porsche, unless I get a new F in the meantime. I want it to be a daily driver so I'd love the 991 GT3 to get PDK even though purists loathe the idea.
Old 04-11-11, 03:19 PM
gengar

BTW, I'll probably do a short video of the LCD panel in the upcoming days to show the rpm limiter lifting. Anyone have any other requests for the LCD panel?

I'll also get the long-overdue delivery pics up at some point...
Old 04-11-11, 03:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

That was much more detailed and exhaustive explanation than I expected.

It definitely sounds like you made the right decision - I can only imagine what it's like as I'm not in a position to consider exotics like the LFA, so I can only live vicariously through forums like this and reading first hand experiences of folks like yourself.

Looking forward to watching videos you'll be posting of your car - accelerating away, driving by etc.
Old 04-11-11, 09:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
BTW, I'll probably do a short video of the LCD panel in the upcoming days to show the rpm limiter lifting. Anyone have any other requests for the LCD panel?

I'll also get the long-overdue delivery pics up at some point...
Quite curious as to how the lap timer works.
Old 04-11-11, 10:19 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Quite curious as to how the lap timer works.
I skipped over that section of the user manual (I'm not a reading instructions type of guy - this is actually the first car manual I've so much as touched in the first days after getting a car, haha) - I'll get back to you.
Old 04-11-11, 10:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I skipped over that section of the user manual (I'm not a reading instructions type of guy - this is actually the first car manual I've so much as touched in the first days after getting a car, haha) - I'll get back to you.

Thanks much
Old 04-14-11, 02:23 PM
LexFather

gengar, thanks so much for the insight into your LFA and your thoughts. Simply a great read.
Old 04-15-11, 02:33 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on such an awesome car! Great thread as well, it's not everyday you get such a good insight on such a special car, especially from an owner's point of view.. Enjoy it man, the weather in MI is starting to becoming decent (I'm assuming IL is similar), so hopefully you get some time this weekend to go for a joyride
Old 05-06-11, 04:13 PM
gengar

Took a short video of the instrument panel during ignition before going on a drive today (to be honest, I got that new LCD BacPac screen for my GoPro so wanted to test that out more than anything, haha). Available in HD, as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoNW9C4eXk&hd=1

I'll upload a longer clip later that shows the rev limiter gradually lifting off - was it someone on here who requested that or somewhere else? It's pretty cool even if not much action going on.

Last edited by gengar; 05-06-11 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-06-11, 04:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Looking Good sir!!!

Don't forget to shoot a nice video of the "Ceremonial" shut down of the gauges when you turn that beast off.

Regards,

Joe Z

P.S. - Close Door for less audible dings..

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-06-11 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-06-11, 06:39 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

nice gengar!!! Thanks for sharing.

Your engine sounds fantastic and as if it just wants to go-go-go!

Enjoy it in good health
Old 05-06-11, 09:49 PM
gengar

P.S. I have a little more time this weekend, so I'll aim to get a couple of the delivery pics up tomorrow. And look up the lap timer thing for MR_F1.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
P.S. - Close Door for less audible dings..
Haha oops I didn't really even notice the dings - I left the door open for better engine noise. Guess I can roll down the windows next time.

Originally Posted by TripleL
nice gengar!!! Thanks for sharing.

Your engine sounds fantastic and as if it just wants to go-go-go!

Enjoy it in good health
Thanks! It does want to "go-go-go" all the time, even with the 7400 rev limiter. Hard to keep it anywhere close to the speed limit but I'm managing, more so I guess because it's still technically in break-in. I haven't gotten pulled over yet despite passing several cops (I have been pretty much obeying traffic laws every time, but I always hear stories about how they'll pull exotics over just because they want to chat.)

Last edited by gengar; 05-06-11 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 04:37 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Took a short video of the instrument panel during ignition before going on a drive today (to be honest, I got that new LCD BacPac screen for my GoPro so wanted to test that out more than anything, haha). Available in HD, as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoNW9C4eXk&hd=1

I'll upload a longer clip later that shows the rev limiter gradually lifting off - was it someone on here who requested that or somewhere else? It's pretty cool even if not much action going on.
Lexus always has good intrument display. This has to be the best one, in its best vehicle to date
Old 05-07-11, 07:20 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Gengar, are you getting any unwanted attention?
Old 05-07-11, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice video!

I would never get tired of watching videos of the LFA.

How long (miles) is the break-in period? What is the maximum speed recommended for the break-in?

Quick Reply: CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!