LFA Model (2012)

Official Lexus USA: LFA Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 12:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Official Lexus USA: LFA Videos

Everyone wants details...so here they are! The third video is a detailed overview of the Lexus LFA features. Take a look.

A Superior Journey: Transporting the LFA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUq3pQZDGQ

A Warm Welcome to LFA Owners:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2MIMBuBziw

LFA Product Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu84tIZ7hjo

Source: Lexus USA
Old 02-01-11, 01:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice car cover bag. Id use it for personal use and store the cover elsewhere.

Awesome videos.

edit: oh nevermind. Owners get fitted luggage. Looks nice.
Old 02-01-11, 01:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Man o man! That silver looks amazing in the sunlight. People were criticizing the silver, but that has to be one of the best LFA colors. The shine is just incredible.

It would be nice to see a demonstration of launch control system.
Old 02-01-11, 01:54 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The fitted luggage makes it all worth it. That's the real value proposition.

The redline limiter is pretty cool - I always get nervous when I see all these videos of people firing up LFAs and rev-ing them while seemingly cold. Actually, I realize now that one of the engineers was trying to explain the redline limiter to us at the end of the LFA Works tour but I was distracted by the noisy prototype and probably it got a little lost in translation too.

I'm going to go post "You're welcome" in response to Mark Templin's video later.

Last edited by gengar; 02-01-11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 07:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that auto-adjusting redline limiter is awesome! Another typical hidden Lexus feature . Attention to detail is what it's all about. Auto-adjusting the redline based on coolant temperature and the car's break-in, such a good idea.
Old 02-01-11, 07:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow that auto-adjusting redline limiter is awesome! Another typical hidden Lexus feature . Attention to detail is what it's all about. Auto-adjusting the redline based on coolant temperature and the car's break-in, such a good idea.
You know what the funny part is? My Toyota/Yamaha built 2ZZ-GE does the samething (though, no cool moving redline on the tacho). On a cold start, the rev limiter is set at 7000 rpm and VVTL-i is disabled (no 'high lift' cam switch over) it goes progressively up as the car gets warmed up until finally up to 8400 rpm when it is completely at the optimal operating temperature.
Old 02-01-11, 08:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You know what the funny part is? My Toyota/Yamaha built 2ZZ-GE does the samething (though, no cool moving redline on the tacho). On a cold start, the rev limiter is set at 7000 rpm and VVTL-i is disabled (no 'high lift' cam switch over) it goes progressively up as the car gets warmed up until finally up to 8400 rpm when it is completely at the optimal operating temperature.
Very cool, I did not know that . Does it adjust based on the car's break-in period as well?
Old 02-01-11, 08:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Very cool, I did not know that . Does it adjust based on the car's break-in period as well?
Actually, I took it 8400 rpm a few times with just a couple of hundred KMs on it so during the break in period (I broke it in quite hard), there was no such limitation.

However, in the case of Lexus LFA, it is totally understandable since it is such an expensive engine to build .
Old 02-01-11, 08:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It is understandable, and it is also awesome IMO that the LFA as a car is that intelligent that it adjusts the redline based on both coolant temperature and break-in period. It's touches like that which make a Lexus a Lexus, and it's quite awesome to see that in an exotic supercar. Then again, exotic supercar or not, it's still a Lexus, so it is great to see it is totally built to high Lexus standards.
Old 02-01-11, 08:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, LFA is capable of revving up to 9500 rpm. That is stratospheric to the point of almost a race car. It totally makes sense to have a adjusting rev limiter based on the breaking in period.

It is understandable, and it is also awesome IMO that the LFA as a car is that intelligent that it adjusts the redline based on both coolant temperature and break-in period. It's touches like that which make a Lexus a Lexus, and it's quite awesome to see that in an exotic supercar. Then again, exotic supercar or not, it's still a Lexus, so it is great to see it is totally built to high Lexus standards.
Old 02-01-11, 10:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What race cars even rev that high? Not many!
Old 02-01-11, 11:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
What race cars even rev that high? Not many!
Depending on what racing series we're talking about, some do, but you're right, not many. In Super GT, I believe no cars rev beyond 9000 RPM, AFAIK.

In Le Mans, I don't think any cars rev beyond 9K RPM, but again I might be wrong.

F1 obviously revs higher. In WRC, I'm not sure how high the highest-revving cars go to.

In NASCAR, I believe they rev to around 9-10K RPM.

So yes, the LFA really is up there in terms of RPMs and redline.
Old 02-01-11, 11:08 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, especially for it being a production car. Not many race cars based even on production cars rev that high. LFA is in some rare air. Then again, some cars don't need to rev high, but they don't sound as good as the LFA, so yeah.
Old 02-01-11, 11:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, 9500 rpm rev limit is really insane. The best part of it is that LFA produces over 90% of its peak torque over 9000 rpm.

I have seen many 458 Italia dynos and the torque curve begins to fall after 7000 rpm and by 9000 rpm rev limit, it is making only about 75% of its peak torque.
Old 02-01-11, 11:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, part of the reason why the LFA sounds so unique and so close to an F1 car being the super-high revs. Definitely in some rare company.

Yeah, when I first saw the torque curve for the 1LR engine, I was amazed at just how MUCH torque it produces at 9000 RPM. It's just incredible in terms of how flat the torque remains even at such high revs. Ferrari and Honda's high-revving engines can't even compare. As you partly mentioned, with their engines, the torque starts to drop off between 7000-8000 RPM or so.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus USA: LFA Videos