LFA Model (2012)

LFA on new Top Gear episode tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 09:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default LFA on new Top Gear episode tonight

LFA was featured on the new Top Gear episode tonight during the Ariel Atom V8 segment. 0-100-0 against the Atom V8 and LP570 SL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkuSQ...layer_embedded

It seems to get pretty much owned in the acceleration part of this test, but the braking is INSANELY impressive. I had the chance to experience the braking power of the LFA last year and yep, this video portrays that impressive braking performance once again.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-23-11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-23-11, 09:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

LFA owned by whom?? Ariel Atom?

LFA and LP570-4 were neck and neck off the line (very impressive considering the LP570-4 is AWD and is stripped down to the bones).

One thing to remember, the LP570-4 comes standard with ultra-sticky super-slick tires (Pirelli Corsa) that the LFA tires just simply cannot compete with (I know I might get flamed for this) so that does not put both cars on a level playing field.

Then after, 40 - 50 mph LFA fell behind by 2 car lengths, but right before they hit the brakes, LFA had caught right back up to LP570-4 as the were within half a car length of each other.

Off the line:

Somewhere in the middle:

Maybe, LFA was already hitting the brakes at this point since it had hit 100 mph before the LP570-4??

Right before they hit the brakes, it is difficult to tell from this angle, but they look quite close.

Originally Posted by GFerg
LFA was featured on the new Top Gear episode tonight during the Ariel Atom V8 segment. 0-100-0 against the Atom V8 and LP570 SL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkuSQ...layer_embedded

It seems to get pretty much owned in the acceleration part of this test, but the braking is INSANELY impressive (I had the chance to experience the braking power of the LFA last year. ).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-23-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-23-11, 09:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

seems to be like the LFA had the initial jump off the line but the Lambo reeled it right back in and had it up until 100. They were side-by-side right before 100 and just romped the brakes.

Also, do we know if they were working in the brakes before hand? that might be a factor to see if we even saw the raw power of LFA's carbon brakes.

That Ariel Atom is just...wow...I'm surprised he wasn't wearing a helmet in that thing.
Old 01-23-11, 10:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Even though the video was focused on the Atom V8 and we dont even see a definite point on when the other two cars applied the brakes, I see LFA getting the jump on the Lambo, but the Lambo pulling out front. It also may appear that the LFA was gaining towards the end but to me I think the Lambo already reached 100 (again, cant really determine that with this footage) and was just starting to brake while the LFA was approaching it. We also dont know about brake prep and if the LP570 was equipped with carbon ceramics.
Old 01-23-11, 10:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, look at the pictures above I took of the video shot by shot of the race. Seems like LFA was right there beside the LP570-4 before they slammed on the brakes. I drew lines to show where the tires are relative to each other.

Otherwise, LFA would have slammed on the brakes far after the LP570-4 since it would have hit 100 mph much sooner than the LFA. But, it did not since they both slammed the brakes quite close to each other.

Again, the Pirelli Corsa super-slick tires on the LP570-4 are just velcro on the dry pavement that the LFA's performance tires cannot compete with.

Looks like LFA and LP570-4 left at the sametime:

Even though the video was focused on the Atom V8 and we dont even see a definite point on when the other two cars applied the brakes, I see LFA getting the jump on the Lambo, but the Lambo pulling out front. It also may appear that the LFA was gaining towards the end but to me I think the Lambo already reached 100 and was just starting to brake while the LFA was approaching it. We also dont know about brake prep and if the LP570 was equipped with carbon ceramics.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-23-11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-23-11, 10:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

It does not seem to be beside it in that last pic to me. Distance could very well be similar to the pic before it, but cant really tell. And again we dont see the exact point when both hit the brakes like we do the Atom. Either way, Im not dragging this out. All are impressive to me.
Old 01-23-11, 10:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It does not seem to be beside it in that last pic to me. Distance could very well be similar to the pic before it, but cant really tell. And again we dont see the exact point when both hit the brakes like we do the Atom. Either way, Im not dragging this out. All are impressive to me.
It is all good. Both cars have very similar power to weight ratios. LFA is much more aggressive gearing while LP570-4 has the advantage of grip because of those super sticky Corsa tires.

The last picture with lines I took was just before the Ariel Atom hit the brakes. Since the Ariel Atom was way out in the front, it hit 100 mph well before the other two cars so it gave a good idea of where LFA and LP570-4 were when they were at 85 - 90 mph.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-23-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Thanks for the vid G! Nice screencaps as well.

Maybe its just me but 0-150-0 would have been something more of interest.
Old 01-24-11, 11:21 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the footage of the race...starts around 3:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8lGIBLs9k
Old 01-24-11, 02:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA definitely covered less distance in the braking department. The LFA's brakes are crazy good. Even if it got beat in the acceleration part, the brakes stopped it way before the lambo did. I think that's what we can determine from this video. The ATOM shouldn't even be compared to these cars. You can't take it out in the rain. It doesn't have heat or air conditioning. No cup holders like they said. No amenities whatsoever, not even a radio! Haha, it's a track toy and nothing else, well besides fast.
Old 01-24-11, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the video. i agree with TF109B. on the acceleration part, i think it's pretty clear the lamborghini was faster (unless the driver is totally stupid and decided to brake when it's 120), but the braking and the overall 0-100-0 of the lfa is just simply incredible by comparison, it's not even funny.

putting the atom on the side, that's almost like a moot point (just to make the show entertaining imho)

but the test between the lexus and lamborghini, that's interesting

although, no one has asked the question. given it's such a fine dry day, why didn't top gear have stig drive the damn lfa again around the track for the new time!!!!!
Old 01-24-11, 04:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks for the video. i agree with TF109B. on the acceleration part, i think it's pretty clear the lamborghini was faster (unless the driver is totally stupid and decided to brake when it's 120), but the braking and the overall 0-100-0 of the lfa is just simply incredible by comparison, it's not even funny.

putting the atom on the side, that's almost like a moot point (just to make the show entertaining imho)

although, no one has asked the question. given it's such a fine dry day, why didn't top gear have stig drive the damn lfa again around the track for the new time!!!!!
The Stig quit/got fired/retired.
Old 01-24-11, 05:24 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Watch the video closely. LFA and LP570-4 hit the brakes roughly at the sametime a little after the Atom did.

Both LFA and LP570-4 were accelerating at similar rate and hit 100 mph at almost the sametime (as should be since on paper both have similar power to weight ratio while LFA has advantage in gearing up to 150 mph). However, the LP570-4 was covering distance a bit quicker and was a bit ahead of the LFA.

What does that point to?? The tires! The LP570-4 has "velcro sticky" Pirelli Corsa tires standard that allowed it to claw the distance quicker and the LFA's Potenza tires cannot simply compete with these tires.

Here is a bit more clear picture of LFA's front tires relative to LP570-4's front tires right before both cars hit the brakes. LFA is a bit behind the LP570-4.

Originally Posted by rominl

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-24-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 11:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Seems the Lambo beat the LFA slightly to 100, but the LFA DESTROYED the Lambo in braking. Absolutely incredible braking from the LFA, considering how much heavier it is than an Atom!
Old 01-25-11, 01:05 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pruett says they're 'race car brakes', now i see why. MT stopped from 60mph in 94ft. it's obvious the LFA has stopping power, and not just in the brakes department

Quick Reply: LFA on new Top Gear episode tonight