LFA Model (2012)

Video: Lexus LFA breaks champagne glass with science

Old 06-05-10, 03:35 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has to be one of the most stunningly beautiful and inspired car commercials I've ever seen.

I've been a huge skeptic when it comes to this car, especially the price tag but I am now convinced.
Old 06-05-10, 06:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As long as the resonance frequency of the glass is matched by the car it will break. I am doctor and I don't need a physics lesson from anyone. Please keep your rude comments and assumptions to yourself.( aren't you a moderator????)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

"Uneducated"???????? what a joke. Thanks for the laugh
i don't care if you are doctor or whoever, doctor doesn't mean anything to me. right is right, wrong is wrong. unfortunately your first post make it pretty clear that you think loudness is what caused it to break, but fact is resonance is more important.

sorry you feel bitter about a constructive post
Old 06-05-10, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Having a degree(s) does not make necessarily make one educated. I am sure we all know people that are great at school but outside of it have the sense of a toolbox. People that are constantly throwing around their achievements and then posting continuous drivel doesn't really encourage others to go to school.

I8ABMR I'm sorry but you just want to continue to discredit the LFA again, in car chat, again, on a Lexus forum, again. . DaveGS4 explained how it worked and so did Rominl. You are WRONG here. You were NOT at the advertising shoot so you don't know what Lexus did.

From what we know from the links provided a physicist was involved to help Lexus find the right glass to make it shatter with the LFA's exhaust. This is not the first time it has been done it is just the first time it has been done with advertising with an exotic for the general public to see.

Here is the press release and I highlighted things to make it easy.

TORRANCE, Calif. (June 2, 2010)-It's a dramatic moment. In an ultra-modern audio studio, a Pearl White Lexus LFA supercar faces its challenger: a lone crystal champagne flute on a pedestal alongside a sleek amplifier. The vehicle's keyless ignition is engaged, and its rear wheels start spinning on a dynamometer. The engine roars louder and louder, the speedometer clicks past 150, 160, 170 mph. That's when the glass quivers and shimmies until – kshhh! – the flute shatters in gorgeous slow motion.

In this latest commercial from Lexus, which begins airing today, the LFA's signature engine sound achieves a feat reserved for virtuoso performers. The unique sound of 552-horsepower engine, which helps the vehicle reach top speeds in excess of 200 mph, shatters the glass without the use of CGI or camera tricks.

"The glass is actually broken by the precision sound of the vehicle," said Dave Nordstrom, vice president of marketing for Lexus. "We wanted to show just how deep our pursuit of perfection and commitment to innovation goes. The LFA was designed to deliver its own unique exhaust note, and this illustrates that beautifully."

The Signature Sound

Lexus worked with a team of engineers to enhance the acoustics of the LFA's 4.8L engine by meticulously tuning its multi-stage exhaust system. From the elegant, yet understated idle rumble to the goosebump-worthy wail of the high-revving V10 engine, the LFA was deliberately engineered to deliver a sound unlike that of any other road car.

After studying the unmistakable soundtrack generated by Formula 1 cars at maximum revs, the team created the signature LFA sound beginning by emphasizing the secondary combustion frequency of the engine and then introducing primary, secondary and tertiary firing harmonics.
The note is so unique that Lexus has even created an LFA ringtone that can be downloaded for free athttp://www.lexus-lfa.com (click "Digital Premium").

The Glass Test

For the commercial titled "Pitch," Lexus employed a renowned physicist from a leading university to help determine which type of champagne glasses have the same frequency as the LFA's revving engine. (The pitch of the glass needed to precisely match the pitch of the engine in order for the flute to shatter.) Lexus racecar driver Scott Pruett then "drove" on the dynamometer until the engine revved to 7,000-9,000 rpm-creating just the right frequency of vibration to break the glass. And, yes, the entire crew wore earplugs during filming.

It's not the first time Lexus has used champagne glasses in an ad. Now an almost iconic expression of the brand's pursuit of perfection and pioneering innovation, they were originally used in the brand's launch commercial in 1989. In one of the most memorable TV spots in history, the new LS sedan revved to high RPMs as a pyramid of champagne glasses was carefully stacked on the car's hood. As the speedometer approached top speeds, champagne was poured into the top glass and elegantly flowed into the glasses below-without spilling a drop or razing the pyramid.

Most recently, in a 2006 commercial, the ground-breaking park assist feature on the LS 460 was engaged to dramatically and precisely parallel park the vehicle between two giant pyramids of champagne glasses-without touching a glass.

"Pitch" can be viewed at YouTube.com/lexusvehicles. It will air primarily on cable television and during sporting events such as the 2010 Major League Baseball All-Star Game and the USGA U.S. Open Championship. A 3-D version of the spot will play in theaters beginning July 2 to coincide with the debut of a 3-D summer blockbuster.
Please don't doubt the ad. In the past when Lexus had their champange glass ad on the LS people thought it was a Hoax. An independent agency did the test on their own and achieved the same results. It is also illegal to falsely advertise and it also risks reputation if the results cannot be repeated.

Sadly if the GT-R had this same ad, surely we would hear how its the greatest ad and sound in the world and it will clean up the oil spill.

I suggest just leaving the thread if you have nothing to add outside of trying to detract from the LFA again.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-05-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 11:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, I'm the uneducated one here, so can someone explain this whole ad to me?

It seems like the glass started to vibrate and then it hit the metal piece (is that a speaker?)

In any case, if you look at the beginning of the video, the glass was just standing atop of a napkin, its base wasn't secured at all, so it wasn't loudness that caused it vibrate - a big, loud speaker would simply blow the glass away. However I would be more impressed if the glass broke without hitting the speaker.
Old 06-06-10, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

here are more info to read on resonance and to relate on how it was applied in this commercial and be the primary reason why the glass broke. and you are right, loudness was not the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance

basically every object has a resonance frequency, depending on the material, shape, construction, etc... with the object is hit with the correct resonance frequency, it will cause the object to start vibrate, and the magnitude will increase.

as shown in the wiki page, one every day example is swing. if you hit it at the right time (frequency), it will keep on swinging higher and higher. however if you hit it at the wrong time, it will not swing as high or you might actually reduce the swing.

another very famous example of the importance of resonance in history is the tacoma narrows bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge

when the bridge was built back in the 40s. when the wind goes up to certain level, it creates the exact right frequency of the bridge itself, causing the whole bridge to vibrate in a wave motion. and one day, the bridge finally collapsed. it was not due to especially strong wind (magnitude), it's due to the specific speed of the wind passing through the bridge (frequency). here's the video

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/227364...d_by_a_bridge/

that triggered a major study of resonance on modern construction (bridge, buildings, etc...), that's why all modern constructions, they all have specific design requirements to withstand high wind situation.

back to this commercial. when the resonance frequency is found (you can see in the behind the scene video that it's not at redline, it's around 5000rpm or so iirc), then it's up to scott the drive to produce that frequency from the car, with the use of the throttle and rpm. once the frequency is reach (created) and feed to the glass, it causes the glass to start vibrating. the magnitude of the vibration continues to get bigger and bigger due to the resonance frequency applied. when the magnitude of the vibration exceeds the amount of flexibility the glass can sustain, it shatters itself. this is the reason behind.

sorry for the long explanation, but at least i feel it deserves the explanation to the idea behind the commercial. maybe that's what appeals to me about the commercial, not just the cool factor but the thoughts behind

Last edited by rominl; 06-06-10 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-06-10, 12:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Rominl, but the glass actually did hit the metal, didn't it? It didn't break from the vibration alone?

Speaking of bridges, this just happened in a Russian city about two weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWP5d2t2JVE

The bridge didn't actually collapse, it stopped swinging when the wind died down.
Old 06-06-10, 07:46 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Rominl, but the glass actually did hit the metal, didn't it? It didn't break from the vibration alone?

Speaking of bridges, this just happened in a Russian city about two weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWP5d2t2JVE

The bridge didn't actually collapse, it stopped swinging when the wind died down.
Even if the glass touched the speaker it would not be the cause of it to break. The way the glass was vibrating you would never be able to see it without a high speed camera, try bending a metal wire a million times really quickly and it will snap eventually. The glass was vibrating / changing shape so rapidly it was bound to shatter.
Old 06-06-10, 10:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Explained:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCw95...layer_embedded
Old 06-06-10, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
That explained it perfectly from the physicists own mouth. Thanks for finding/sharing.
Old 06-06-10, 11:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

They should've never let the glass hit the metal speaker, especially that it breaks the moment they contact. If they air this ad on TV, most people simply wont get it. But then again, most people that don't get it are probably too dumb to ever afford one of those

I know my uneducated *** will never be able to afford it, unless i hit lotto.
Old 06-06-10, 11:42 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That explained it perfectly from the physicists own mouth. Thanks for finding/sharing.
You're welcome sir.
Old 06-06-10, 06:49 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just me, I like the LFA, but who thinks the engine whines more than roars? The "start up" sound that you can download from Lexus, it sounds as if some metal is rattling on startup. Did not sound particular "aggressive" on any of the sounds, accelerating or decelerating...

Then again, if you can go to 60 in less than 3.5s, who cares about the whining...
Old 06-06-10, 07:28 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im still laughing at the fact that a doctor and physics apply to each other...hahahahha
Old 06-07-10, 12:19 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
im still laughing at the fact that a doctor and physics apply to each other...hahahahha

he may have a PhD in physics or any number of things. not necessarily a medical doctor.

im sometimes a patient by the way. although Im not necessarily patient.
Old 06-07-10, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by magneti
he may have a PhD in physics or any number of things. not necessarily a medical doctor.

im sometimes a patient by the way. although Im not necessarily patient.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3552051-post47.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video: Lexus LFA breaks champagne glass with science