LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 09:15 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front is screaming jackie lantern.

i feel embrassed looking at it. Im sorry but its the truth.

The interior and the rest of the car still make sme want it though
Old 10-22-09, 09:17 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We cannot approach this car or others with the same money mentality as comparing IS/G35/A4/3 etc. People in this market are mega wealthy. It is like buying a t-shirt. There is no one or the other, its both and all of them.

Rarely, maybe never have I read a review in EVO or CAR etc where its said "well the CGT is nice, the Enzo is great but I can have a 911 Turbo, a house, all I can eat cookies and a $100,000 gift card to hooters".

That is missing the entire point of these vehicles. The internetz is good at making comments like that. These vehicles are not about "sense".

They are supercar exotics

I mean lets look at the 1.3 milllion Bugatti? Do you know how many cars you can buy with that! Yet I've rarely read people say "you can buy x car and y car, etc". It is an exercise in excess and a great one at that.

Maybe if it was called Infiniti Essence, you'd like it better

Is a S65 worth its 180k price? Saying "I can get a S550 and a 911" misses the point of the S65.

If car makers and people all approached cars with the complete sense equation, we all would be driving Civics, Sentras and Corollas.
It wouldn't make a difference, since anything over 150k for an "Essence" would be out of the question. But then again, im sure you just added this to ensue an argument

I do see your point though. Which is why I said it was a subjective point of view to begin with. But I still can't find a justification for the price point when more exotic vehicle's like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin could be had for less.

But, like you implied, it is aimed at the "I have a million dollars to spare" crowd.

Anyhow, kudos to Lexus for uping their game in to another market.
Old 10-22-09, 09:21 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by skater
It wouldn't make a difference, since anything over 150k for an "Essence" would be out of the question. But then again, im sure you just added this to ensue an argument

I do see your point though. Which is why I said it was a subjective point of view to begin with. I still can't find a justification for the price point when more exotic vehicle's like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin could be had for less.

But, like you implied, it is aimed at the "I have a million dollars to spare" crowd.

Anyhow, kudos to Lexus for uping their game in to another market.
The Infiniti Essence will probably be in the $70-100k depending on if it's the gas-only or hybrid engine, seeing as Infiniti does not have anything in that price range. I'm guessing it'll be a rebadged GT-R and a version with a hybrid.
Old 10-22-09, 09:21 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

glad this car is finally being released, but what a lousy economic time to do it. wish they would focus more on updating the models that most people can afford. The SC is severely outdated along with the GX. A lot of us GS owners are hoping for a GS-F, but doubt that will come very soon.

4.8L V10....why not the 6.0L?
Old 10-22-09, 09:30 AM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

the people that are gonna be getting this car are not gonna worry about 10k here 50k there, they're gonna drop 375k+ on the spot and say "call me when my car gets here".
Old 10-22-09, 09:38 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The specs are impressive and I'm really digging the 9k red-line. I think this car would have had a bigger impact on the Lexus brand if it was sold for 100-150K and produced in bigger numbers. I'm not sure if they will be able to sell 500 LFAs at 375K a pop.

Ford had a hard time selling their GT car for 150K and Acura had a tougher time selling their NSX for 90K even though both cars were outstanding on every level.

Last edited by madmax2k1; 10-22-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 09:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Exactly. This is just the introduction. Only 500 units of the coupe version will be made and sold. Then I hope to see at least 400 units of the convertible/roadster to be made and sold and finally a hybrid version of say 300 units to be made and sold...we shall wait and see...
FACTS:
  • 500 production run for 2011/2012 globally all built at Toyota's Motomatchi plant. (The same plant the Century and other special Toyota vehicles are made).
  • This is a coupe hard top version only. No convertible/roadster version in the future.
  • All gasoline powered 4.8L V10, no plans for hybrid.
  • There is talks of the 500 LFA's made, 200 will be sent to the USA. Units sent to the USA will be determined by demand and interest.
Old 10-22-09, 09:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Official LF-A soundtrack, brought to you by Yamaha: (click that orange button)
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/2009/09102102.html

The same page also features diagrams of the tuning of the perfect in-car sound:

wow no kidding... they actually designed to acoustic as well so the driver can enjoy the engine sound? wow...

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
The specs are impressive and I'm really digging the 9k red-line. I think this car would have had a bigger impact on the Lexus brand if it was sold for 100-150K and produced in bigger numbers. I'm not sure if they will be able to sell 500 LFAs at 375K a pop.

Ford had a hard time selling their GT car for 150K and Acura had a tougher time selling their NSX for 90K even tough both cars were outstanding on every level.
of course it will have to be seen, but i am more than confident that the 500 will be gone very fast
Old 10-22-09, 09:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flipside909
Okay, i'm finally back from Miami.....
Damn I didn't know there was a Riverside, Miami.....

Can't wait to hear ALL ABOUT IT..!!

Joe Z
Old 10-22-09, 10:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Anyone else notice the Lovely Carbon Fiber Roof Option???

Carbon Fiber Roof
That is an available option we may or may not get for the USA. The LFA's in Homestead (White and Flat Black) had painted roofs, but they are carbon fiber. Those two LFA's were the same ones that were caught testing at Nurburgring last month. They were air shipped to Miami from Germany for this event.
Old 10-22-09, 10:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
FACTS:
  • 500 production run for 2011/2012 globally all built at Toyota's Motomatchi plant. (The same plant the Century and other special Toyota vehicles are made).
  • This is a coupe hard top version only. No convertible/roadster version in the future.
  • All gasoline powered 4.8L V10, no plans for hybrid.
  • There is talks of the 500 LFA's made, 200 will be sent to the USA. Units sent to the USA will be determined by demand and interest.
so you are saying the convertible / roadster we have seen is just that -- concept?

and how about lfa-r that there have been info about?
Old 10-22-09, 10:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I was wondering what the deal was with the carbon fiber roof/spoiler. I guess it's another one of the many customizable options of the LFA.

One item of curiosity: no RHD on what should be a Japan-spec LFA at the Tokyo Auto Show?
All LFA's will be the same both RHD and LFD. The only differences are going to be in the lighting/markers. Rear fog lamps, different front side markers and license plate brackets are going to be the only differences with the US and global versions.
Old 10-22-09, 10:11 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

madmax2k1

I agree that the pricing is not what we wanted to see.

To me, the car takes everything that was great about my S2000 (except for the vert part) and fixes the stuff I did not like. The issues were; a too small cabin that was plain noisy, no torque, having to live with a clutch pedal in city traffic and no creature comforts.

My job since 99 (when I got the S2000) was to increase my income to be able to have an LFA and Toyota's job was to make the care a reality.

About the other cars mentioned, I recall the Ford GT selling out quickly and commanding high prices. The NSX only had sales issues at the end of its cycle due to H not supporting the needed updgrades to stay with the competitors (and done again by H to the S2000).

The longer tem thing with Toyota and this car is, F and P are in the sports car biz and keep fighting year in and year out. The short run for LFA leaves me wondering what Toyota will do to keep themselves in folks minds as a real sports car maker.
Old 10-22-09, 10:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Flipside,

First of all, lucky you for the LFA seat time.

Question, is there a hatch/trunk? I have not seen any pics behind the front seats showing a shelf or something. If there is a hatch it would be interesting to see how it works with the retractable wing back there.
Yes there is a small hatch just under the rear window glass. The glass pops up liftback style and is controlled via a hatch release on the dash. It operates seperately of the wing. The compartment is very small and is only big enough for one or possibly 2 duffle bags in size. In that same compartment hidden behind a cover is the battery and spare tire in a can (fix-a-flat).
Old 10-22-09, 10:26 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Flipside.

Could you also comment of the slow speed livability thing? I read a review mentioning that the tranny is not great for slow speed/reverse use like parking (the reviewer sounded just like the stuff I read for back when the Ferrari 360 came out).

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)