LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 09:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
.Since the other thread is getting a little out of hand, Joe Z this is just for you :

Officially, the engine is smaller and more compact than the ISF's V8. I have seen comparison drawings from Toyota. The engine is also lighter than the ISF's V8. It weights about as much as an average V6. The engine valves, connecting rods, and exhaust manifold are all titanium. It meets Euro 5 emissions. It revs from idle to 9000 RPM in 0.6 seconds.

I will post more engine info a bit later, but it is official; this is by far the most marvelous engine ever made by Toyota. It would be absolutely incredible if this gem was put into the rumored GSF.

^^ Thanks for the info..!!!

- Joe Z
Old 10-21-09, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Egads, I just think people are kind of "hurt" Lexus did come with this car and didn't back down.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-21-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 09:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Thanks for the info..!!!

- Joe Z
No problem .

Also the engine uses some form of Dual VVT-i, but Toyota so far is being very coy, so I'm not sure if it's electronically controlled or oil-controlled.
Old 10-21-09, 09:41 AM
k3vo
Rookie

I'm surprised no one has comparo'd it against the 2010 Cadillac CTS-V.

556hp @ 6100rpm. Torque: 551ft-lb @ 3800rpm 0-60: 3.9seconds

all at a mediocre base of $60,720.
Old 10-21-09, 09:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each their own. The styling looks very good, especially from the rear. Some people hate the styling of the Veyron, Enzo, and Carrera GT. It's all preference.
I guess so (maybe).

I do hope Lexus are paying attention to avoid a downfall in exterior design in their future products.

Just my say on the matter
Old 10-21-09, 09:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
I laughed so hard when I heard the price. $375k? that's like hyundai pricing Genesis at 110k!

seriously this is a great car, but what are they thinking? they are overcharging at least 200k. unbelievable.
Joe, stop it b/c you get all upset when someone doesn't take a Hyundai debut serious. I don't think you are in any position to "laugh" here. Like Hyundai is moving up, Lexus continues to do so but this car is clearly on a much higher scale.

Clearly their "experts" thought the price was appropriate.
Originally Posted by Dave600hL
And I am laughing so hard, you must be in the market for one then? If not what does the price of the LFA matter anyway?
Funny some guy posted a thread on another forum bishing about the price and having a poll and it was good to see a lot of people say "why is anyone here complaining about price" b/c its clearly out of reach of pretty much everyone on that forum.

I'll say it again, this is not some new entry level Lexus so we cannot use the same debate tactics here. This is something most people haven't even debated about before. WE CANNOT argue the same mentality "is it worth it".
This price range is ANOTHER WORLD and few of us will understand how the choices are made for cars at this level.

Originally Posted by JessePS
If I had the money for the LFA. I would still get one. It just needs to lose a few hundred pounds (not sure how). Slightly better top speed and be a tad quicker. As I said before. For $375k. It should be able to do over 215 mph and 0-62 in 3.4 seconds. For me that would justify the price. With those type of numbers. It would put Lamborghini and Pagani to shame.

We just have to wait for Top Gear to put it on its track and see how it works. Plus I hope they put it up against everything like the Porsche Turbo, Audi R8 V10 and a few other cars in the same category. After have one for cars in almost the same price range.

Some comparisons...

Audi R8 V10 (5.2L V10, 518 hp @ 8k rpm - 391 lb-ft, weighs over 3600 lbs, 0-62 in 3.9 secs and top speed 196.4 mph) Price: $146,000 USD (2009)

Nissan GTR SpecV (3.8L V6 TT, 479 hp @ 6400 rpm - 428 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm, weighs 3704 lbs, 0-62 mph is unknown and top speed is unknown) Price: $150,000 USD (2009) w/current exchange rate

Porsche 997 Turbo (3.8L Flat-6, 493 hp @ 6k rpm - 480 lb-ft @ 5k rpm, weighs 3461 lbs, 0-62 mph in 3.2 secs and top speed 194 mph) Price: $182,633 USD w/current exchange rate

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2 (5.2L V10, 540 hp @ 8k rpm - 400 lb-ft, weighs around 3000 lbs, 0-62 in 3.9 secs and top speed over 200 mph) Price: $219,800 USD

Ferrari 458 Italia (4.5L V8, 560 hp @ 9k rpm - 400 lb-ft @ 6k rpm, weight is 3042 lb., 0-62 mph in under 3.4 secs and top speed is over 202 mph) Price: $240,000 USD (2009)

McLAREN MP4-12C (3.8L V8-TT, 591 hp - 422 lb-ft, weights 2870 lb., 0-62 mph is unknown and top speed is unknown) Price: $248,655 USD (2009) w/current exchange rate

Aston Martin V12 Vantage (5.9L V12, 510 hp @ 6500 rpm - 420 lb-ft @ 5750 rpm, weighs 3700 lbs, 0-62 mph in 4.2 secs and top speed 190 mph) Price: $250,000 USD [reported] (2010)

Mercedes Benz SL65 Black Series (6.0L V12, 661 hp - 738 lb-ft, weight is around 4100 lbs, 0-62 mph in 3.9 secs and top speed limited to 198 mph) Price: $250,000 USD (2009)

Aston Martin DBS (5.9L V12, 510 hp @ 6500 rpm - 420 lb-ft @ 5750 rpm, weighs 3737 lbs, 0-62 mph in 4.2 secs and top speed 191 mph) Price: $265,00 USD (2008)

Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 (6.5L V12, 630hp @ 8k rpm - 487 lb-ft @ 6k rpm, weighs 3638 lbs, 0-62 mph in 3.3 secs and top speed of 210 mph) Price: $318,800 USD (2006)

Ferrari 599 GTB (6.0L V12, 612 hp @ 7600 rpm - 448 lb-ft @ 5600 rpm, weighs 3726 lb, 0-62 mph in 3.7 secs and top speed 205 mph) Price: $320,580 USD (2009)

Pagani Zonda C12 S (7.3L V12, 547 hp @ 5900 rpm - 554 lb-ft @ 4050 rpm, weighs 2821 lbs, 0-62 mph in 3.7 secs and top speed 220 mph) Price: $350,000 USD (2002)

Porsche Carrera GT (5.7L V10, 612 hp @ 8k rpm - 435 lb-ft, weighs 3042 lbs, 0-62 in 3.9 secs and top speed 205 mph) Price: $440,000 USD (1999)

Mercedes Benz SLR McLAREN (5.4L V8, 617 hp @ 6500 rpm - 580 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm, weighs 3,898 lb., 0-62 mph in 3.7 secs and top speed of 208 mph) Price: $495,000 USD (2009)

Ferrari Enzo (6.0L V12, 651hp @ 7800 rpm - 485 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm, weighs 3010 lb., 0-62 mph in 3.4 secs and the top speed is 219 mph) Price: $643,330 USD (2002)

I'll try and compile a list of cars. That its competing against in the same class and also price range. This should be pretty.
I love each and every one. However a few on that list share an engine with something else. The LFA is very special being from the ground up. Even the Zonda uses an AMG engine. Lexus also created every process from scratch, another reason for high cost.

For me, it is the fact that Lexus has been such a reliable and trusted brand, on top of that the tech in this car is incredible. I am no race car driver and I do want a exotic , just not the hassles that come with driving them and the difficulties. Also , my dealer has really looked after me, things like comming to my place of work to pick up my car for services and driving me to functions when I don't have a car ect, ect. I just feel that I am in good hands with lexus and to top that this car is going to be very exclusive, something that will stand out in the crowd.

BTW, they are also releasing an LFA-R , which will be further weight reduced and I am not sure at this stage, but have more power too.
LFA-R makes me TINGLE!!

Originally Posted by B Dot
The price is really bothering people. To me it doesnt matter because i cant afford it at 375k, 225k, or 100k I think they will probably sell all of these when it is released. People with money will buy something they want no matter the price. People said alot of the same things when the LS 600hl was released and that had solid sales intially although im not sure how it selling now.

Exactly great post
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Well this thread and discussion is JUST starting to get interesting...

I will add this for now... I commend Lexus for creating this machine. I would have been IMPRESSED however... To see it priced @ $200k and STILL best the GT-R's numbers. For all those crying about "But it's a different car with a different purpose." Oooookkkkkaaaay, I get that. But like it or not... Prepare for the onslaught of direct comparisons to the mighty GT-R or even a $100k ZR-1 as they have set the precedence for performance cars lately: Sports, Super AND Exotic.

Oh... I would have been even more impressed had Lexus dropped a GS-F with similar hp as the LF-A for @ $85-$95k. Why? I think we ALL know.
No problem .

Also the engine uses some form of Dual VVT-i, but Toyota so far is being very coy, so I'm not sure if it's electronically controlled or oil-controlled.
What is your infatuation with mentioning the GT-R? I love the GT-R but I am not going to mention it, it is not its intended competition. This is why so many people DISLIKE the GT-R b/c whenever any other car is mentioned, some people just bring up the GT-R and act like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This is not ZR1 competition. You clearly haven't read ANY REVIEW on it thus far. C&D (amazingly) called in on par with the ENZO, 599 and a bargain. Lexus has stated its aimed somewhere between the Gallardo, Scuderia and Murchialago etc.
Old 10-21-09, 09:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Egads, I just think people are kind of "hurt" Lexus did come with this car and didn't back down.
Exactly. This car seems to have really hit where it hurts for a lot of enthusiasts, and it seems to have almost insulted some people.

Mark my words though, this will be tremendous for lifting the image of Toyota and Lexus. It is already on all the major Lexus websites. Press events are continuing to happen at different race tracks all over the world. The LFA will be shown at every major North American auto show, and likely every European show.

All of this is happening long before the car is even out yet.

Before the car even comes out, millions of people will have seen the car in-person at autoshows, and on the internet.

Mentioning Toyota and Lexus in the same sentence as Ferrari or Porsche or Lamborghini will become common. Once people get used to that it's only a matter of time when perceptions shift and the image of Toyota and Lexus changes for the better.
Old 10-21-09, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by k3vo
I'm surprised no one has comparo'd it against the 2010 Cadillac CTS-V.

556hp @ 6100rpm. Torque: 551ft-lb @ 3800rpm 0-60: 3.9seconds

all at a mediocre base of $60,720.
B/C people are not silly? Why not compared it to a chipped EVO or a single turbo Supra?

I'm sure if this car had Ferrari badges, all would be well in the world.
Old 10-21-09, 09:59 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

For me, it is the fact that Lexus has been such a reliable and trusted brand, on top of that the tech in this car is incredible. I am no race car driver and I do want a exotic , just not the hassles that come with driving them and the difficulties. Also , my dealer has really looked after me, things like comming to my place of work to pick up my car for services and driving me to functions when I don't have a car ect, ect. I just feel that I am in good hands with lexus and to top that this car is going to be very exclusive, something that will stand out in the crowd.

BTW, they are also releasing an LFA-R , which will be further weight reduced and I am not sure at this stage, but have more power too.
Thanks!!!!
Old 10-21-09, 10:01 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The other features like adjustable drive modes, the screen thingy and a few other things are nice.

My only gripe indeed is the rear-end.

Mother-****ing ugly rear-end
I would've loved the LF-A II or the Roadster's rear end too but the production rear has grown on me now. Very distinctive and purposeful looking to say the least.

The biggest problem is I don't see any trunk lid opening at where the rear spoiler pops up. How am I supposed to get grocery in that thing?

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-21-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Exactly. This car seems to have really hit where it hurts for a lot of enthusiasts, and it seems to have almost insulted some people.

Mark my words though, this will be tremendous for lifting the image of Toyota and Lexus. It is already on all the major Lexus websites. Press events are continuing to happen at different race tracks all over the world. The LFA will be shown at every major North American auto show, and likely every European show.

All of this is happening long before the car is even out yet.

Before the car even comes out, millions of people will have seen the car in-person at autoshows, and on the internet.

Mentioning Toyota and Lexus in the same sentence as Ferrari or Porsche or Lamborghini will become common. Once people get used to that it's only a matter of time when perceptions shift and the image of Toyota and Lexus changes for the better.
There is no doubt the price is quite but again, Lexus rarely makes mistakes in pricing looking at the past. Now this is another realm but surely they did their research on buyers and the market as this car has taken a few years.

Is it really any different than launching the original LS? Just on a bigger but smaller volume scale. Lexus is going in a segment no Japanese brand has before. Its risky and courageous.

As you stated, the potential benefits are amazing. Now when you mention supercars, people can say "what about the Lexus"!!! When you think Lexus, you can no longer make blanket statements about it being boring. There is now a LF-A! The LF-A also continues to extend the Lexus march upward and separating it from its other Japanese competition.

Originally Posted by J.P.
Thanks!!!!
Yeah Thanks Dave and thanks for the scans!!!!
Old 10-21-09, 10:05 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sure if this car had Ferrari badges, all would be well in the world.
Precisely, because Ferrari has the pedrigree and heritage that it takes to develop a car and sell it for an astronomical price at a very low amount of units. Lexus is trying too hard on its first attempt. Like I said before, unless they release this simultaneously with a brand new SC, the LFA will be nothing more than a foggy afterthought when the SC-F is released, simply because no one could enjoy it. When you buy a Ferrari, even the cheapest trim of the F430 or even an old 348, you feel as if you are part of a long line of motorsport heritage. With the LFA, unfortunately, it's only an afterthought, because Lexus has little-to-none motorsport and sports car heritage.
Old 10-21-09, 10:06 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Looking at other exotics and supercars, people always complain about the quality. So what if Lexus put out a supercar that still had the same amount of quality they have in their regular lineup?
Old 10-21-09, 10:08 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Precisely, because Ferrari has the pedrigree and heritage that it takes to develop a car and sell it for an astronomical price at a very low amount of units. Lexus is trying too hard on its first attempt. Like I said before, unless they release this simultaneously with a brand new SC, the LFA will be nothing more than a foggy afterthought when the SC-F is released.
You can never try to hard.

And they will sell every one they planned to sell along with making the rest of the brand stronger.

I would not spend 400k on it, but its going to do them a lot of good.
Old 10-21-09, 10:08 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by J.P.
Looking at other exotics and supercars, people always complain about the quality. So what if Lexus put out a supercar that still had the same amount of quality they have in their regular lineup?
It wouldn't matter, because no one would be able to enjoy it. Those 500 units that are being built will be garage queens. There is no doubt in my mind that Lexus is going to sell every last one of these, no matter what the price, but by only making 500 units over the span of two years, it seems to me like Lexus is trying way too hard.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)