LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 05:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We don't know what kind of marketing it will receive, but I think a slight indication is Lexus.com, Lexus.jp, etc...absolutely nothing about the car itself. In contrast, Lexus.jp at least had a teaser website up prior to the Tokyo shows in 2005 and 2007. If the 500 unit number is true, this looks to not be marketed widely at all. It will be a super rare, exclusive supercar, more rare than a Ferrari.
Old 10-20-09, 05:54 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You said it here.
Not in that sense of the word. Cheap in the sense that it is not overly expensive considering the number of units available.
Old 10-20-09, 05:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FisforFast
No, and probably simply because of the badge. I mean, you can put a twin-turbo W16 in a Dodge Challenger, that will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, and sell it for $300,000... but it's still no Bugatti Veyron, Pagani Zonda or Ferrari Enzo. Lexus does not have enough heritage with high-performance sports car to make a limited-production car like this and sell it for $350k... it's completely redundant. It's cheap and not a lot are being made. It does not make any sense. I suppose we'll know more in a few hours, but Lexus limiting the production of these things to 500 or so is not even slightly logical. You'd think they'd want to make a GT-R and R8 killer for their first high-performance car and actually compete, but instead they're making this limited production thing which about 99.9% will end up being garage queens.
Its a supercar/exotic, its not SUPPOSED to make sense.

Dude, most exotics sell in very low numbers, only the CGT and F40 sold in the 1400 or so range.
Old 10-20-09, 05:56 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

When did I say it was cheap? The LFA is a brilliant car, but the marketing it is going to receive is absolutely hideous.
I was referring to your statement of "It's cheap and not a lot are being made." in your previous post unless I interpreted it incorrectly.

And how is marketing going to be hideous?? The car itself will be sold out before it even goes on sale thanks to the hype built up in previous auto shows so no additional effort in marketing will be needed there. For the brand image and the halo effect on the F line I think Lexus will simply need to do a few branding commercials featuring the LF-A. People will find out that they can't buy one. Big deal. They can't buy an Enzo either. But the car will elevate the brand image to the next level.
Old 10-20-09, 05:58 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Guys, I honestly don't think the LFA will do as much good for Lexus as most are thinking it will. The fact that most people will not be able purchase one regardless of it they can afford it or not will weigh heavily on how the media treats it and how the car is viewed. Not a lot of people are going to be able to enjoy it and from a business standpoint I don't see that as being a plus. You really need to stop comparing it to an Enzo or a Zonda, though...

I'm going to stop the discussion right here because we're going in circles.
Old 10-20-09, 06:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

That's why I have posted many times here Lexus need to introduce a few more sports car models in it's normal price range, i.e. $120K and under to benfit from the LFA's supposed halo effect.
And yes they should make more LFA's (like 1500-2000)and sell it at a much lower price so more people can actually experience it.
1500 cars is not a lot. With 1400+ Carrera GT's produced, I have only seen it on the road a couple times ...
After I've heard about the $300k+ price that has been rumoured for a long time, I have lost a lot of interest and excitement on this car than I should otherwise have.
At $350K plus, a lot of people would expect(& rightfully) the LFA to blow away everything else, & if it does not, it will be disappointing.
Just saying there will only be 500 built to make it sound exclusive to justify the price will not cut it.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-20-09 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 06:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Guys, I honestly don't think the LFA will do as much good for Lexus as most are thinking it will. The fact that most people will not be able purchase one regardless of it they can afford it or not will weigh heavily on how the media treats it and how the car is viewed. Not a lot of people are going to be able to enjoy it and from a business standpoint I don't see that as being a plus. You really need to stop comparing it to an Enzo or a Zonda, though...

its a pride thing. It doesnt matter if it will sell or not, doesnt matter how much it is, or how many they make, what matters is that the LFA FINALLY goes into production after 5 years as a concept. It shows what lexus can do, and also what the F brand might have in store in the future

do we know where (if even) it will be streamed yet?
Old 10-20-09, 06:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Most are thinking is reflective of the enthusiast base, but I am in agreement that a halo car has a limited effect. IMO, as Gojirra99 said, Lexus will need to produce affordable cars to capture the LFA halo as best it can, and a GS-F, new SC, etc. cannot come soon enough.

From a business standpoint, this car though is meant to be in low numbers, rare, given that it is sold at a loss, and it is really meant to be an aspirational car and not one widely sold. The marketing at auto shows, in videos, and magazines, is where the effect is greatest, and for each of those only 1 car is needed.

To my earlier point Lexus USA has done little to nothing on the LFA--there's only 1 picture of the LF-A II concept there. That shows that they know this car is a limited and rare vehicle of a different class.

As for the specs, I follow rominl's point, that it really has more to what the car handles on the track, the whole gestalt of the car, which simple numbers do not fully capture. What it gets compared against will be widely debated. Finally, I would also mention that any preliminary specs are typically conservatively stated, at least for past Lexus models.

Originally Posted by RXSF
its a pride thing. It doesnt matter if it will sell or not, doesnt matter how much it is, or how many they make, what matters is that the LFA FINALLY goes into production after 5 years as a concept. It shows what lexus can do, and also what the F brand might have in store in the future

do we know where (if even) it will be streamed yet?
Lexus Europe will post a vid some 6 hours after the event...
Old 10-20-09, 06:06 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's why I have posted many times here Lexus need to introduce a few more sports car models in it's normal price range, i.e. $120K and under to benfit from the LFA's supposed halo effect.
And yes they should make more LFA's (like 1500-2000)and sell it at a much lower price so more people can actually experience it. 1500 cars is not a lot,. With 1400+ CCarrera GT's, I have only seen it on the road a couple times ...
After I've heard about the $300k+ price that has been rumpored for a long time, I have lost a lot of interest and excitement on this car than I should otherwise have.
The LFA and the 'SC-F' would need to be launched almost simultaneously for something like that to work. With the rate Lexus is going at, we probably won't see a new SC for the next couple of years and by that time the LFA will be nothing but a foggy afterthought for most people who would have probably bought one had it been more accessible.
Old 10-20-09, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
And yes they should make more LFA's (like 1500-2000)and sell it at a much lower price so more people can actually experience it.
1500 cars is not a lot. With 1400+ Carrera GT's produced, I have only seen it on the road a couple times ...
After I've heard about the $300k+ price that has been rumoured for a long time, I have lost a lot of interest and excitement on this car than I should otherwise have.
I feel you but it is a halo and maybe a real definition of a changing point for Lexus. Seriously, I just looked at the GSh when I went to the store and it looked "Different". I smirked knowing that Lexus has made something totally unrelated to my car, totally out my price range, yet I feel a connection to it as a Lexus owner.

Maybe that is how BMW, Porsche, etc owners feel in regards to halo cars and their brand?

I am with you 100% lets hope this trickles down with other production cars. Lets have our wallets ready b/c I have a feeling it is going to happen.
Old 10-20-09, 06:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The LFA and the 'SC-F' would need to be launched almost simultaneously for something like that to work. With the rate Lexus is going at, we probably won't see a new SC for the next couple of years and by that time the LFA will be nothing but a foggy afterthought for most people who would have probably bought one had it been more accessible.
Ummm, we have a Japanese member posting in the prototype forum that the LF-A will not even start production until end of next year, which if accurate, we will not see the first production car until early 2011 ... and the 500 car run will last two years ... i.e the 500 LF-A's will tricke out within the next 3+ years, so still plenty of the time for a new SC (hopefully) to catch up ...
Old 10-20-09, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Thanks for the official pics! Looks great in every detail especially the interior!

Seriously, to think Lexus is producing this. Not Ferrari, not Lambo, not Aston, not Pagani, not Porsche...
Old 10-20-09, 06:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

A very brief Q&A from Autocar with the LFA chief engineer:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/244231/

Q+A, Lexus LF-A's chief engineer
21 October 2009

Lexus LF-A chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi talks about the supercar, launched today at the Tokyo motor show.

Why is Lexus making
 a supercar?

To demonstrate the capability of Lexus (and Toyota), and because it was the right time to make a new challenge. Also to act as a halo model for the F versions of Lexus’s regular production cars.

Why has it taken so long?

We wanted to produce the car earlier [to coincide with Toyota’s elusive first F1 win], and it was completed to an acceptable standard, but then we wanted more from the project. That’s why we switched to a carbonfibre chassis for improved rigidity and handling.

What are the LFA’s competitors and what makes it different?

The LF-A sits between cars like the Ferrari 430 Scuderia/Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 and bigger supercars like the Murciélago SV and Pagani Zonda, but with a more protective side to its character. If you go beyond the edge there is the knowledge that the car is on your side.

Who is going to buy it?

A buyer who is not as 
extrovert or showy as the traditional supercar customer, and someone who is interested in technology.
Old 10-20-09, 06:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
202MPH is disappointing but I wonder if this is the true top speed, or the advertised top speed. For example, the IS F will sail to over 170MPH if I recall, but is "electronically limited" to 150 or whatever.
IS F does have a 170mph speed limiter. Who said it's electronically limited to 150? Sounds like BS to me.
Old 10-20-09, 06:42 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

30 minutes guys!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)