LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 05:10 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Old 03-19-10, 06:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when it sells out fast, how can anyone complain it was overpriced, 100% of buyers didnt seem to think so
Old 03-19-10, 07:35 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
There are several issues brought up in the above thread that I need to explain once again. First, I think the two payment lease is designed to protect Lexus and not buyers. Lexus claims that they are doing it because of high demand for the car. I can say that regardless of who I ask in exotic circles, nobody knows of anyone who plans to buy one. I think that Lexus created this least so they aren't competing against their own used cars. Believe me, if there was strong demand for the 150 cars, you'd see it on the exotic forums somewhere. This forum is the most discussion anywhere about the LFA and what, TWO people are strongly considering the car? Do we have any actual "notified" buyers here yet?

In this US market, all exotics produced in this volume are depreciating right now. I was offered more for my SV than what I spent, but it's the only one in a particular color. I think the F458 will also be the exception because of a built in market. Take a look at the used versus new numbers on both Dupont and eBay for anything. (I can just see people pulling out the Enzo, F50, F40 numbers which are unique circumstances that don't need to be rehashed again.) Now, imagine what happens to Lexus if the LFA fits the same pattern as other exotics in the current market, and there is no buzz anywhere to support the belief that the car will go in any other direction but down. Imagine now that you're on the production list for a car and a used one comes up for far less money before yours arrives that you can have right now. Chances are good you'd dive on that used LFA and cancel your order.

The problem is under this lease arrangement you can't sell so you can't manage your loss. You are tying up an asset for two years and by then the Murcielago replacement will be out, F458s will be in the pipeline at full volume, and there will likely be a new Gallardo announced, not to mention other exotics on the market. I think it's a rare person willing to tie up their money for any toy, especially on a depreciating asset.

I'm content to just wait and see what happens. I think Lexus claim regarding demand is false. That's my opinion based on my experience with exotics and the exotic community. I don't think it will take long to prove one way or another as June is right around the corner and Lexus has claimed that all buyers will be notified by then, right? We're into mid March so that should mean that 15+ buyers have already been notified (assuming about one a day) and no posts anywhere so far.

I don't think Lexus will find 150 buyers in this current market even if they dropped the lease. I predict the market for the LFA in the US is about 20 cars, if that. I'm not bashing Lexus, I'm just commenting on the reality of the exotic market. Again, only around 43 LP670-f SVs were sold in the US in the past year out of 350 worldwide.

Regarding the discussion, I don't think you have to be a potential buyer to have a good point on the LFA. I think we're all car guys first, right? It doesn't matter what we drive. This has been interesting to follow and I like the debate.
You're making a big assumption that most car buyers (exotic or not) are active on the Internet forums, which is simply not the case in reality. We forum frequents represent only a very small percentage of the population of actual car buyers.

If it helps, here we have a CL member from Dominican Republic who is on the LFA waiting list and just received a letter from Lexus Japan telling him that Lexus has stopped accepting new applications for the LFA at 1100 applicants and that the 500 LFA owners will be hand-picked by Lexus within the list of these 1100 applicants in April.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5324069-post59.html

In other words, all 500 LFAs have been sold out.

Last edited by Mister Two; 03-19-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 09:51 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I thinks folks should read and consider
Tommy's points

He makes lot of sense

No one in the US has been notified A's
Senior Management has been too busy
with real issues

I mentioned this in a recent post where I
provided track car details (prior to public
release of the info)

I would caution against saying all the 500
are sold

The screening process was good but
no money was needed to get on the list
Who knows how many folks will take a
pass when offered an allocation slot
Old 03-19-10, 11:19 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
If people start doing that after they already know the price..then wow...just wow.
Old 03-19-10, 11:22 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I thinks folks should read and consider
Tommy's points

He makes lot of sense

No one in the US has been notified A's
Senior Management has been too busy
with real issues

I mentioned this in a recent post where I
provided track car details (prior to public
release of the info)

I would caution against saying all the 500
are sold

The screening process was good but
no money was needed to get on the list
While I agree with you that there will be some folks on the list who will eventually decline to buy when offered a slot, I see no reason to believe that Lexus was lying when they told anajri that they stopped taking new applications at 1100--why else would they want to suggest that they are declining new applications unless the demand already far exceeds supply?

So yeah, saying that the car is "sold out" is indeed too much since no real money has been involved so far, but it does look like there are many more people on the waiting list than there are cars to be built.

Last edited by Mister Two; 03-19-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 11:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are almost 1300 names on the waiting list (last I heard)...I really wouldn't worry too much.
Old 03-19-10, 12:14 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am not worried about the cars finding loving homes

I work in Regulatory so I never say stuff like sold out till
objective evidence is available
Old 03-19-10, 01:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what if i wanted to be financially irresponsible and pay the lease for 72 months
Old 03-19-10, 01:05 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what if i wanted to be financially irresponsible and pay the lease for 72 months
While you're at it, sign me up for a 720-month lease.
Old 03-19-10, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol that means you will be dropped off the lease
Old 03-19-10, 02:59 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Lexus own press says they will notify buyers between March and June. I'm assuming March 1 and June 30, 122 days to give them the full benefit of the doubt. They also said that it will take two years to build all 500. Assuming it's linear, that means that someone notified May 15, would be looking at a build date a year out and two year hold after that. Someone getting notified at the end of the notification period (assuming Lexus is telling the truth) then they would have a build date that is out two years, with another two year hold after that. This is where it really gets goofy and suspicious, to think that people are going to wait in line to plunk down the deposits to sit two years, only to then have another two year hold on them selling the car. Four years from now I seriously doubt the LFA will be competitive on any level and I seriously think those buyers would get hurt the most.

The reality is in the US market I think they will sell about one a month. A few more than that initially but after that I think it will slow down. I know how few LP640s were sold in the 2010 model year and it's a very small number. This is because of a combination of factors. One has to do with exotic saturation across the board, regardless of brand, the other has to do with a tight credit market combined with really bad depreciation at the moment.

If Lexus is now claiming they are busy with other things and have no notified anyone yet, then I'm even more suspicious that they don't have many real buyers on the list.

As for the comment about buyers not posting. You're right few do post. However, it's rare that they keep such matters secret and someone usually knows and posts something somewhere, especially if they think something will be in short supply. You end up reading a lot of buzz about availability and positioning as you see with regard to the F458 and more recently with the LP670-4 SV. I'm also starting to read and hear about people interested in ordering the new Superlaggera. There remains a lack of similar buzz about the LFA. So far this forum is the center of most of the LFA discussion.

Again, I can't speak for other markets. I only try and keep tabs on what's going on in the US. They could do extremely well with the LFA in other countries. I just don't know those markets.
Old 03-19-10, 03:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyJames
If Lexus is now claiming they are busy with other things and have no notified anyone yet, then I'm even more suspicious that they don't have many real buyers on the list.
That particular suspicion is unwarranted IMO. Unless one is not paying attention to the media circus going around, the Toyota recalls are proving to be a massive PR disaster. Although they attempted to counter-program with the CT 200h launch, since then Lexus has been rather quiet as its parent company goes on the offensive with fighting back all these allegations. From what a number of prospective buyers and other sources have indicated, corporate in Japan and the U.S. are moving such items as the LFA buyer process back a month, while they regroup and focus on dealing with the recalll crisis.

It's reasonable to be a Doubting Thomas on the LFA purchase process, but trying to make molehills into mountains obfuscates the issues. I think most reasonable people would regard the worst PR, legal, and alleged safety crisis in the company's history as a fair explanation for moving back the buyer process one month. Heck even an article about the LSh premiere in Tokyo found that corporate HQ in Japan was unprepared for the swarms of international media showing up! By all indications, the company is in 'Crisis Mode' with the intense media scrutiny and the unfolding 'scandal'.

And now I just spent all this posting effort for a largely moot point...back in a month.

Last edited by encore888; 03-19-10 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
IMHO, I feel that most of us can't really make serious judgements on the LFA's price.
because we can't afford one? well the top gear guys CAN afford one and they ripped the price over and over too. now personally i do NOT have a problem with the price given the tech and exclusivity involved, even though i won't be buying one!

when it sells out fast, how can anyone complain it was overpriced, 100% of buyers didnt seem to think so
'when' is an assumption. but if true, then you'll be right. i really have no idea if it will sell quick or slow. i expect to never see one again on the road!
Old 03-19-10, 05:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because we can't afford one? well the top gear guys CAN afford one and they ripped the price over and over too. now personally i do NOT have a problem with the price given the tech and exclusivity involved, even though i won't be buying one!
Top Gear, you mean an automotive publication that is historically very pro-British and pro-European and very anti-Japanese?

Top Gear's unreasonable and hypocritical criticism of the LFA price was frankly expected because of the big bias they have.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)