LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 11:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Look a bit closer . Compare the height, width, and V angle of the engine to other production V10 engines, as well as other production V8, and V6 turbo engines.

Length-wise not much can be done, due to cylinder count. Height and width can vary due to various factors such as packaging of the engine ancillaries, and the V angle, not to mention engine displacement.

Compared to other production V10 engines on the market, the LFA's V10 is quite small displacement-wise, and very high revving for a V10.

Well pictures of these "display" engines are always smaller looking...

How do you think it compares to the IS-F Engine in size??

Joe Z
Old 10-15-09, 07:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if they will detail and route the wires/tubes in the engine bay, of it if will be a mess of cables in there under a cover?
Old 10-15-09, 09:35 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I wonder if they will detail and route the wires/tubes in the engine bay, of it if will be a mess of cables in there under a cover?
Good question, hard to say really. My guess would be function over form, so reliability and performance will probably have a higher priority than the detail of the engine bay, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well pictures of these "display" engines are always smaller looking...

How do you think it compares to the IS-F Engine in size??
Since I haven't seen both engines in person to compare, hard to say. Just at a glance of the pictures, I think the LFA V10 compares very well to the IS F's V8 height and width-wise. It might even be smaller height and width-wise, but we will have to see. I am willing to bet though the the V10 has a lower center of gravity than the IS F V8.

I am also basing this on the height of the LFA's hood at a glance compared to the height of the IS F's hood.
Old 10-15-09, 10:44 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just to add, this is going to be "THE" Lexus supercar, and "THE" supercar from Toyota in general .
I'd like to add as well, the LF A will be "THE" supercar from Japan in general Now let's go play with the Italians...
Old 10-15-09, 10:56 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

on a side note...i wonder if nissan will make a statement regarding the essence after it debuts the new fuga. It would be very interesting to see them give the essence a go ahead.
Old 10-15-09, 12:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
on a side note...i wonder if nissan will make a statement regarding the essence after it debuts the new fuga. It would be very interesting to see them give the essence a go ahead.
1. They have 2 cars, 3 SUVs and sales are struggling, they cannot and will not invest money into a vehicle that no one will buy. The GT-R is selling around 120 units a month. Do you think Infiniti is going to sell a bunch of more expensive ESsence vehicles? They can barely crack the 50k market.

2. They announced it is canned and not coming and more than anything it was a design exercise to show what future models would look like.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...agship%20Model

Nissan’s sub-brand Infiniti has cancelled plans to build a new flagship model powered by the Nissan GT-R’s V6 engine.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/08/g...cially-canned/
"It's fair to say that there's nothing in the product plan for a flagship right now. It's just not a priority in today's climate."

http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6...iti/index.html

My bet and hope is a 2 door M37/56 debuts to sell on top the G37. To me that makes more sense and investment would be limited to basically a new bodystyle. The original G35 coupe was a surprise and I am hoping they surprise us again with a M coupe of some sort (well not BMW )

Old 10-15-09, 12:44 PM
LexFather

Its big, it is a V-10 but its placed way in the rear for "midship" execution.

Again, I'm curious is a hybrid version coming

Old 10-15-09, 12:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

6 days to go and aside from the page on TMC's corporate website (here) there's nary a mention on Lexus.com, Lexus.jp, Lexus.eu...I guess with a rare model such as this there isn't a need to publicize all-out, when a lot of the coverage will be free advertising, etc. I was hoping for some kind of reveal vid though.
Old 10-15-09, 01:05 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

good points Sick. I would have nonetheless liked to see the essence been given the go ahead.

What do you think the reasoning for the LFA name choice is? My best nonabbreviation:

Luxurys'/Lexus' Finest Automobile
Old 10-15-09, 01:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
good points Sick. I would have nonetheless liked to see the essence been given the go ahead.

What do you think the reasoning for the LFA name choice is? My best nonabbreviation:

Luxurys'/Lexus' Finest Automobile
This was a rumor from last year but nothing came of it

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/20/i...pe-based-on-z/

Infiniti to get entry-level coupe based on Z

As for the name, good idea and sounds good.

Old 10-15-09, 03:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
So just because the LFA is going to be way overpriced at 300K
That is your opinion. Surely all 500 will be snatched up, so the price to prospective buyers, is justified.

suddenly makes it more of an exotic/supercar and more significant then the NSX? A company setting the price extremely high and building fewer of them suddenly makes it exotic despite what is really exotic about the actual vehicle compared to other cars?
Uhh, that is what every exotic car does. They are expensive as hell, not very usebable and sold in limited numbers. They have done this for decades.

So if this is true then Acura could have just priced the NSX at 150-300K and only built 500 or so and it would suddenly be put on exotic or supercar status?
Maybe the 2nd NSX, which was to have a V-10. A V-6 engine is not exotic and there is nothing exotic about it, no matter how great it is.
What an automaker prices a car at does not mean it suddenly qualifies it as an exotic especially when most will see it as being way overpriced.

Correct but the LF-A from what we know has the merits to back up its price.

Honda lost money on every NSX sold because they did not want to price it too high
You do not know that, you are speculating. What we do know if after the first couple of years, it sold like crap the next 11.
and for people to say it was overpriced even though some snobs still said it was an Honda/Acura.
I agree its bad people passed on it b/c of badge but that is Honda/Acuras problem. Their employees job is to convince people it is worth the money.
Honda wanted to beat Ferrari using a v6 instead of a v8 in a car that cost less then a Ferrari which they succeeded in both points. If Honda were to actually price the NSX at what they would make a profit on then it would have commanded exotic or supercar prices and would have been well over 100K even in the early 90's.
Speculation. What we have is a V-6 NSX which did slap Ferrari in the face with its performance/reliability but never threatened them as an exotic.
Even at 60K+ that was unheard of for a Japanese car and extremely high, the NSX at 90K was the most expensive Japanese car of any brand even Lexus until what 2007 or 2008 when the overpriced hybrid LS came out.

The NSX was totally unheard of and the price was the highest at the time. With the yen conversation it was 90k by 2003, no one is arguing against your points here. Then you come and slap the LS in it with YOUR OPINION it was overpriced, even as we posted it sold over 300% past expectations and it was a special order car only. Don't just leave out the facts. If you want to throw cars in there, the market feels the RL is overpriced at a mere 46k.

Okay if I have to explain it, the NSX did not share anything with a particular Honda "vehicle" at the time whether it was Honda in Japan or the US, pretty much everything mechanical on the NSX was unique to it and not shared with lesser Honda/Acura models. The NSX was entirely a unique car and did not share hardly anything with lesser Honda/Acura cars which is why it was so special and expensive to make.

Dude it was a Honda, what are you talking about? It was a special Honda made from the ground up and I and we are well aware of how incredible it was built. No it didn't share anything with other Hondas but IT IS STILL A HONDA. There is no point to make here no one is debating it was a bad car, quite the contrary.

Although the LFA will be a ground breaking car for Lexus, it being priced so high takes away from what could make it truly amazing.
Speculation, your opinion
People are going to say yeah big deal it is fast and performs well, it should be at 250K-350K. It is more expensive then many of its competitors so of course it should perform better, it is expected to perform better at those ridiculous prices it will be if disappointment if it doesn't.

Your opinion
Big deal if it can beat a GTR when it costs 3 to 5 times as much and is a more focused 2 seat sports car.

Who cares. When did people compare the GT-R and Vette to everything? Most exotics are bought JUST BECAUSE. People buy these vehicles based on more than just "RIng" times.

If the NSX came out at 150K people would still say it is a great car but big deal it outperforms the Ferrari, it is way more expensive then the Ferrari and should outperform it.
Complete speculation.
Imagine if the GTR was priced at 150K or more how it would be received.

What do you mean it hasn't EVEN BEEN REVEALED YET!!!

With the 458 Italia coming out, if the LFA cannot beat it yet costs more it will be seen as a huge disappointment, that is the problem with pricing the LFA or a Japanese sports car so high. If the LFA was priced under 150K yet performed as well or spanked its much more expensive competition then it would be a much bigger deal and bigger accomplishment.

My goodness did the LF-A do something to you? The 458 is from FERRARI, THE EXOTIC BRAND. What part of only 500 will be made, basically one for each dealer. Do you not understand people buy BOTH these cars, not one. The market is totally different to the market we buy in.

Japanese cars pretty much always undercut the European competition in price yet beat them in reliability, quality, and what you get for the money. The LS would not have sold anywhere near as well or been received as well if it was the same price or more then the S class
You don't know that. What we have seen is the LS go from 35k to 120k loaded and the new LS is the most expensive LS ever and the best selling LS ever.
. Same with the original Z car, NSX, GTR, etc. Once you price over the competition it loses its appeal.

At 250K+ and a small production number of 500, are many ever even going to see a LFA on the road?
Huh?
No, it will be rarer then Ferrari's and Lambos so unless people read car magazines few are going to know it exists and it most likely will not sell more lower end Lexus cars.
You don't think Lexus knows this? You also are insulting people in this market. Go read Ferrari Chat.

Most have seen NSXs, GTRs, etc on the road so they are somewhat justified, buying used NSXs and GTR is even within reach of enthusiasts who are not rich which makes them more appealing, most of us will never even see a LFA in person in our lifetime at those prices and rarity unless maybe in a museum, auction, or car show.
Huh? Good, the vehicles are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Hell do you see many LS 600h Ls compared to IS's? Different prices, different sales goals!

Sure Lexus can say, look we sold the small production allotment of our ridiculously expensive sports car and claim it was a success but they only really sold LFAs mostly to a small number of rich collectors at those prices that buy up anything that is rare, expensive, and may hold its value or go up in value after a while. Those collectors are usually not driving enthusiasts, it will get parked in some special garage and hardly ever be driven or seen to maintain its value as a collector piece. Big deal if Lexus can sell a small number of high priced collectors pieces to collectors, any company can do that. Beating the competition in performance at a lower price and selling in good numbers is much more of a accomplishment, Lexus nor Toyota are some super exclusive brand like Bugatti that can get away with selling small numbers of super high end cars.
Huh?
Look it seems you don't like the LF-A.

Old 10-15-09, 03:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^^Dude? Are you just trying to be antagonistic, or do you really believe all that drivel you just spilled? Twice!!
Moved.........

Old 10-15-09, 03:20 PM
LexFather

There were some LF-A comments made in a R8 having problems thread and they are moved here from the thread below. THanks

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...iable-why.html

Old 10-15-09, 03:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry, nothing what I said is drivel. Many agree with me about the legacy of the NSX and also how they feel about the LFA, look on other forums talking about the LFA. Most like me really like the design and are excited about the LFA but if it is well over 200K find it way too expensive and overpriced and are also disappointed it will be built in such small numbers. It is just not as big a deal when most feel it is way overpriced then if priced more reasonably and still performed very well and beat its higher priced competition. If I was in the market and could spend up to 150K on a sports car and the LFA was under 150K the LFA would definitely be my top choice but over 150K it is too expensive and well over 200K into the 300K range it is just way overpriced, and I would be definitely looking to other options. Thing is at those prices and rarity we are getting excited about a Lexus most of us will never be able to see on the road in our lifetimes none the less possibly drive, sit in, or own.
Old 10-15-09, 03:32 PM
LexFather

PhilipMSPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
The NSX was and is an exotic...
The NSX is not an exotic. It is a technological marvel at the time (but not groundbreaking), and priced extremely competitively (pricing was groundbreaking, not the car).

I liken it to the current GT-R (which also is not groundbreaking; Porsche has been doing it for years, albeit more expensively).

They both are supercars, but neither is an exotic.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)