Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

TN Hardtop cloth-interior 5-speed '92 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 02:12 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop cloth-interior 5-speed '92 SC300

SOLD

REPLACEMENTS/MAINTENANCE (>$4000 between previous owner and myself)

Harmonic balancer
Mass airflow sensor
Front struts
Distributer, wires, spark plugs (NGK's)
Power steering pump + braided steel high pressure line
Shifter bearings
Fan clutch (engine)
Radiator
Water pump + timing belt
Thermostat + seal
Exhaust manifold gasket
Front oil seal
Rear brake rotors, e-brake shoes
*SC400 10-spoke steel wheels
*Mobil-1 + Mobil-1 filter + oil washer at proper intervals (most recent at 193k)
*Washed & waxed often, full 2 stage paint polish in June
*Passes emissions
*Blue Devil non-particulate head gasket sealer (stick with me, not what it sounds like): EXTREMELY small leak discovered via test and slight coolant smell. This product is sodium silicate based, not a clogging agent. Mechanic I had do the treatment has done over 40 cars and it has worked and held up on all them years and still counting. It works especially well when you catch it early like we did. Truly more a matter of preventative maintenance. The issues surrounding that are since resolved. Car runs like a dream.

***Extras included: trunk lip spoiler, fuel filter, PS vacuum control valve, brake pads, throttle body gasket, and a perfect condition factory car cover.

CONS: [Mostly common older car issues: insignificant problems]

*A/C code 23 (pressure control circuit), no cold (unit won't engage but is good), everything else A/C works. Likely just needs a recharge.
*Rear quarter panel is a little wavy and slightly scuffed but lines are straight (much of what the pictures shows is a little dirt and lots of reflections)
*Driver's side front bumper has a scuff and is (poorly, in my opinion) touched up but isn't too bad.
*Sound system is ok. I don't love the head unit but it does what it needs to.
*Rear bumper is spider webbed.
*Tiny and repaired chip in windshield
*Shift into 5th at high speeds isn't quite as smooth as the others- likely slight synchro wear. One of those unnoticeable things unless you're very automotive ****... guess who.
*No carpets or mats.
*Uses a little oil, always in the "tolerable range", though.
*A little undercarriage surface rust, but neither structural not spreading.
*I think it could use an alignment.
*Sounds like a loose heat shield bolt in engine bay. Currently working on that. Also going to polish headlights.

SOLD

Last edited by Chattanoah; 12-15-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 04:52 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Rare package, glws.
Old 11-20-16, 01:28 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Ba dum bump... (tss)
Old 11-27-16, 05:56 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Beethoven says, "Bump bump bump buuuuuuuuuuump..... bump bump bump buuuuuu......"
Old 11-27-16, 07:22 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a great platform to start a 2JZ build. I think the reason you're not getting more interest is the the price you are asking is what some low mileage, near perfect examples have went for in the past. This car approaching 200k that needs paint/body work, air not blowing cold, various minor repairs, tranny synchro and a head gasket band-aid should probably be around 2500-3000.00 maximum to get a serious buyer who wants a factory 5 speed car to build a project on who will most likely yank the motor, ditch wheels, rebuild tranny, paint the car etc.

Last edited by bmore430; 11-27-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 08:27 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Originally Posted by bmore430
Looks like a great platform to start a......who wants a factory 5 speed car to build a project on who will most likely yank the motor, ditch wheels, rebuild tranny, paint the car etc.
I suppose I see where you are coming from, but I might expect that price for similar auto 300 or 400... maybe a factory 5 speed that was a little more ragged on. What the car truly needs is all very minor; and of course, the highly questionable investment of cosmetic work on a 25 year old car (which I so desperately would love to do). The car is in near perfect running order. Back when I was gauging this car in May (pre repairs), multiple forum members said that the then price of 4500 (i paid less) was a very good one. And the car is in much better shape now than back then. I have no expectations of getting 6500, and I will be losing money on this car no matter what. But I'll be damned if I sell it for $2500, hahahaha. I've gotten close to double offers from that lovable Craigslist crowd!

Also keeping in mind the car is possibly rarer the the 97 5-speed (no production numbers, because what the heck is a sunroofless SC? lol), for whatever that may be worth. Of course I'm no expert. But I know people here that are! haha

Anyways, thank you for reply and thoughts! Hope no disrespect was conveyed towards you. Peace my friend
Old 11-27-16, 08:58 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chattanoah
I suppose I see where you are coming from, but I might expect that price for similar auto 300 or 400... maybe a factory 5 speed that was a little more ragged on. What the car truly needs is all very minor; and of course, the highly questionable investment of cosmetic work on a 25 year old car (which I so desperately would love to do). The car is in near perfect running order. Back when I was gauging this car in May (pre repairs), multiple forum members said that the then price of 4500 (i paid less) was a very good one. And the car is in much better shape now than back then. I have no expectations of getting 6500, and I will be losing money on this car no matter what. But I'll be damned if I sell it for $2500, hahahaha. I've gotten close to double offers from that lovable Craigslist crowd!

Also keeping in mind the car is possibly rarer the the 97 5-speed (no production numbers, because what the heck is a sunroofless SC? lol), for whatever that may be worth. Of course I'm no expert. But I know people here that are! haha

Anyways, thank you for reply and thoughts! Hope no disrespect was conveyed towards you. Peace my friend
No offense taken lol. I hope you get all you can for it. Check out the 97 SC300 that was just posted today on here for sale. Super nice 5 speed example that looks like new inside and out with supra chrome wheels etc for 10k obo. I only commented because I was in the market for an Sc300 to build before I bought a z06 and saw a bunch for sale all over the country and 5k+ in cash will buy a really nice SC these days. Yours is unique but I think you are losing serious buyers because the price point is scaring them off an otherwise cool project car. Just my .02 as someone in professional auto sales industry.
Old 11-27-16, 09:05 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Originally Posted by bmore430
No offense taken lol. unique but I think you are losing serious buyers because the price point is scaring them off an otherwise cool project car. Just my .02 as someone in professional auto sales industry.
And your literal professional advice is very appreciated! I did see it, it's gorgeous. I actually had lowered the price on my other ads, forgot to update this one.

Hey everyone, price drop!

Updated asking price: $5700
Old 11-30-16, 10:52 AM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Bump. So, I've been gauging buyer interest on here and other platforms for the past few months, and have decided to go ahead and post my original low point. I've got a feel for where people are at, quite a few people have reached out and made offers, and it's getting to what I think is very fair, if not a little lower than I'd hoped.

If I don't get that or a good trade, I'm keeping it. No sense in losing more money than needed on something that's still good.

FINAL PRICE DROP: FIRM $5000
Old 12-04-16, 10:52 AM
Chattanoah
Rookie

You can call me Donald Bump
Old 12-05-16, 10:06 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Final bump. Unless the buyer flakes, car will be sold this weekend for around the 4500 range, if you're thinking you want to top that.
Old 12-15-16, 08:58 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Sold!

Mods, please lock or remove this listing.

Thank you.