Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

CA FS: 1993 Pearl White SC400, New Coilover susp, Black Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 10:03 AM
brad11140
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: 1993 Pearl White SC400, New Coilover susp, Black Interior

Hey everyone. OK I have more than 300 posts but I will get 1992Lexus to vouch for me anyway just to be safe. I am located in Hesperia CA, which is in SoCal about 25 miles north of San Bernardino.

First off the specifics on the vehicle. I have the title in hand. It is clean and not a salvage title. I traded a 4Runner for this car back in January and when I ran the carfax than I found that it had a not actual mileage title. Not real sure why because the mileage is consistant with its age and vehicle history. Perhaps when a previous owner was selling it the not actual mileage box got checked on the title. I read online that this can happen.

At posting time there are 198,626 miles on this baby. The VIN number is JT8UZ30C9P0027001. I am asking $2700. Please read the entire description.

Lets start with the good stuff because I have did a lot to this car. The first thing I did was a major tuneup which included the following;

Changed all spark plugs
Replaced spark plug tube seals
Removed injectors and sent out for cleaning and servicing
Checked all valve clearances (In Spec, no wear)
Performed compression test (In spec)
Replaced distributor rotors
Replaced spark plug wires
Replaced vacuum lines with poly vacuum tubing
Throughly cleaned carbon deposits out of intake plenum
Flushed and replaced coolant
Inspected timing belt (previous owner told me it was done last August, but had no proof. Visual inspection revealed that belt was brand new)

Replaced both up stream oxygen sensors.
Battery lugs replaced.
Battery is months old.

The next thing I did was get rid of the 20" wheels that came on it. I picked up some SC430 wheels with new tires from a club lexus member.

After I got the engine running good I noticed an immediate issue with hesistation. I tracked that down to the fuel pump ECU. Rather than replace the ECU I opted to bypass it. The new owner can replace if they like. SO the engine runs awesome. Gets the gas mileage it is supposed to as well.

I than moved onto the suspension which after 198000 miles was shot. I also believe the PO might have cut the springs for a ghetto lowering job. The front ball joints were shot and I did not know the condition of the bushings. So I replaced both upper control arms and both lower control arms. I threw the old shocks away and installed custom bilstein coil overs useing the Gixxer_Drew coilover build method. Here are some pics from that build.

I chose to put it at stock height because I am not into the lowering thing, but if you want to slam it just run the collars down.

While I was replacing the shocks and control arms I also replaced the steering rack bushings and the sway bar bushings.

Now that I had the engine running good and the suspension lined out I finally moved to the interior which was pretty messed up.

The leather on the seats is a mess. I purchased some leather covers on EBay that should be here in a few days and I think they will look fine, but my ultimate goal was to get a set of covers from Leatherseats.com and get it back to factory. I have not gotten to that yet.

What I did do was yank the entire dash and interior out. All the way to the metal

While I had everything out I replaced the air conditioning expansion valve.

I dyed the carpet black and I used SEM paint to completly recolor all of the interior.

The wood grain was a mess so i colored that as well with platinum and it now has an extremly sporty appearance.

I also recovered the headliner, sunroof shade and rear package tray with black suede.

I also replaced the sunroof ECU and motor. Works perfect now.

HAs a clarion VX400 touchscreen deck. I routed an iPod input cable to the center console storage area.

As part of the refurbishment I also replaced the AC drier receiver with a new unit. Prior to all of this the AC would get cold, but not stay there. Was pretty sure I had a low coolant level but thought what the heck, might as well replace some of this stuff while I have the opportunity. I took it in about 14 days ago to have the AC charged and there was a decent leak on top of the compressor. Probably the culprit all along. SO my latest adventure was to drop the compressor out and replace the main gasket under the suction discharge block on the compressor. Everything is reinstalled but I have not been back to get it charged again.

OK. So in a nutshell I have did an enormous amount of work on this car. It runs great but there is still a lot to do. So now for the bad...

Ill be completly honest. The exterior of this car is beat to hell. The clear coat is wearing off in quite a few places. The front bumper cover is broke on the bottom. Not sure what happened there. Almost looks like someone ran into something because there is a dent on the front edge of the hood.

The right passenger fender has a decent dent in it down to the metal.

The left drivers side fender has had some creative bondo or something work done on it.

Would appear the car has backed into something at some point. Some cracking in the paint on the fiberglass.

I called a body shop and they were willing to fix all of the body work and do a 3 stage paint job for a fairly reasonable price.

There are typical issues that still need to be addressed. The climate control LCD is bleeding. The gauge cluster needs the needles replaced. The struts on the hood and trunk are worn out, so you have to prop the hood or trunk open. IT also needs a passenger door lock actuator.

As mentioned above I will have a set of seat covers on it and I ordered a battery tie down clamp from Aliga that should arrive soon.

The car is probably only worth about $2000. I am asking $2700 just due the fact that I have installed the coil overs fixed the suspension and revamped the interior. I am flexible so hit me up with an offer. I want to let it go only because it is running my life for one. I have spent so much money its not funny. I need to redirect those funds to other important things. As long as I have this car I will continue to work on it. Hit me up with any questions.

Old 05-30-11, 01:35 PM
AMA0627
Rookie

Thumbs up for a honest seller! GLWS!
Old 05-30-11, 09:45 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GLWS man. Sucks you have to sell it because it looks like you were really heading in a good direction with returning it to glory.
Old 05-30-11, 10:28 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
GLWS man. Sucks you have to sell it because it looks like you were really heading in a good direction with returning it to glory.
Hey we will see. I doubt it will sell than I'll be back at it.
Old 05-30-11, 11:32 PM
ram3ez
Pole Position

Lots of work and effort, GL with the sale but at this point If I was you I would just keep it and slowly work on it as I know how it is to keep putting money into a car .
Old 05-31-11, 08:04 AM
AMA0627
Rookie

Originally Posted by ram3ez
Lots of work and effort, GL with the sale but at this point If I was you I would just keep it and slowly work on it as I know how it is to keep putting money into a car .
This.

Put a few more grand into it, and she would be a beaut! If I was wanting to take on a project, I would jump on this. Perfect candidate for a 99 conversion. Although at this point in time, I wanna buy something already 1jz/2jz-t'd.

Also, the part's that you have done up with the SEM look great. Does the car currently have the CF wrap on the dash and center console?

Again, GLWS.
Old 05-31-11, 10:05 AM
brad11140
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMA0627
This.

Put a few more grand into it, and she would be a beaut! If I was wanting to take on a project, I would jump on this. Perfect candidate for a 99 conversion. Although at this point in time, I wanna buy something already 1jz/2jz-t'd.

Also, the part's that you have done up with the SEM look great. Does the car currently have the CF wrap on the dash and center console?

Again, GLWS.
Nah I did the cf wrap as a bandaid but it just never set right. Started peeling at the edges. Was about that time I said f it and decided to SEM it out which I am very pleased with btw.
Old 06-02-11, 02:04 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

Well guys it's gone. I had actually come to the conclusion that I would be keeping it and a guy called out of the blue and came and picked it up. Sad to see it go. Maybe I'll have another go at it some time in the future with a car that not quite so close to death.
Old 06-02-11, 08:10 PM
ram3ez
Pole Position

and you sat there hoping inside and thinking it wouldn't sell .. Take the money and buy a better condition sc ( market's bad right now as is for our cars )
Old 06-02-11, 08:16 PM
aEO 37
Driver

LOL I think I see it back on Craigslist for $2700 now
Old 06-03-11, 01:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Brad, I am sorry that I didnt find this in time to vouch for you. I hope you will be back soon with another SC creation..