Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

500+ HP for the V lexus soon

Old 08-06-03, 12:24 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my memory serves me, I thought Lexus was going to stay out of the whole "horsepower war". 500 hp is nothing small, and IMO, the Germans are gonna come through and blow this thing away for a lower price. Heck, the new M5 is said to go 0-60 in under 4 seconds!!!

James
Old 08-06-03, 01:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case someone reading this thread doesn't frequent the SC430 forum, here's a thread with a picture and a write-up of the V10 GT.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=91035
Old 08-06-03, 04:22 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by XeroK00L
In case someone reading this thread doesn't frequent the SC430 forum, here's a thread with a picture and a write-up of the V10 GT.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=91035
The pic posted in that thread is a Photoshopped Ferrari 360.
( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=645344 )
Just look at the wheels and brake calipers.
Old 06-18-05, 12:16 AM
LexFather

Its funny how old rumors are.
Old 06-18-05, 03:02 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

uhh... isnt this car the LF-A?
Old 06-19-05, 10:21 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

I've been waiting for somebody to officially knock the current 1,000 year old NSX off the best japanese car ever made. Honda has no ***** and won't redesign a new one, Nissan is taking forever with their R35 GT-R, and Toyota keeps playing with us via their "Supra Rumors".

Toyota clearly wants to solitify themselves as a brand with racing background. They've become successful in F1 (money can buy glory), and this thing would put them up there as a supercar competator.
Old 06-20-05, 04:51 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

^^ gotta disagree, Toyota has never wanted to "take over" certain motorsport, afterall, their line up isn't peformance oriented, they just more or less want to be "part" of certain motorsport to attract more buyers, like F1, they spent almost 2 billion, YES 2 BILLION US dollars in their F1 program, did they take over the sport like a storm? nope, but now people will go "ooooooooh Toyota is in F1" which gives credibility to consumers, its mostly marketing, same goes for Toyota in NHRA, IRL, NASCAR, NASCAR Trucks.

I have pix of new Option magazine's new Supra simulation pix on my home pc, Option is always fairly accurate as far as predicting new upcome cars, apparently it'll be a V8 using 4.6L V8, so probally same engine as GS460 or alike, they assume about 380-390hp with 6spd. The rumor is to be priced around 3.5million yen, or $35k or so, I hope they keep it competitive price wise. There was no mentioning on the Lexus supercar however.
Old 06-20-05, 01:24 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

This sounds like the new NSX. Honda said they don't have plan to build a V8, but does have a V10 laying around. Maybe Toyota bought the rights from Honda so the car can be finish. It'll probably be cheaper than having to pay Yamaha to design a brand new high performance head since Honda heads equal or surpasses Yahama designs. 100K sounds about right for the NSX replacement.
Old 06-20-05, 01:53 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
This sounds like the new NSX. Honda said they don't have plan to build a V8, but does have a V10 laying around. Maybe Toyota bought the rights from Honda so the car can be finish. It'll probably be cheaper than having to pay Yamaha to design a brand new high performance head since Honda heads equal or surpasses Yahama designs. 100K sounds about right for the NSX replacement.
I seriously doubt that Toyota would take over on a Honda supercar.
Damn,talk about bumping old threads
Old 06-20-05, 04:04 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robloc93
I seriously doubt that Toyota would take over on a Honda supercar.
Damn,talk about bumping old threads
Think about it, who else can make a supercar that can meet or exceed Toyota standards? Only Honda. Toyota is all going lean, Honda already has a separate plant just for producing the NSX. This route saves money cuz no matter how you slice it, americans ain't gonna buy a 150K Japanese exotic car even if it was able to beat all the euros..
Old 06-20-05, 04:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chigga
^^ gotta disagree, Toyota has never wanted to "take over" certain motorsport, afterall, their line up isn't peformance oriented, they just more or less want to be "part" of certain motorsport to attract more buyers, like F1, they spent almost 2 billion, YES 2 BILLION US dollars in their F1 program, did they take over the sport like a storm? nope, but now people will go "ooooooooh Toyota is in F1" which gives credibility to consumers, its mostly marketing, same goes for Toyota in NHRA, IRL, NASCAR, NASCAR Trucks.

I have pix of new Option magazine's new Supra simulation pix on my home pc, Option is always fairly accurate as far as predicting new upcome cars, apparently it'll be a V8 using 4.6L V8, so probally same engine as GS460 or alike, they assume about 380-390hp with 6spd. The rumor is to be priced around 3.5million yen, or $35k or so, I hope they keep it competitive price wise. There was no mentioning on the Lexus supercar however.
Yeah I'm still betting on IF a supra replacement comes it will have a few characteristics:

1) be based on the IS chassis but be a coupe (possibly an IS coupe already in existence by then)
2) have 2 engine options: 3.5L V6 that makes slightly more horsepower than the IS350 variety, or the 4.6L V8 that would be in the upcoming IS460 and make around 375-400hp
3) be lighter than the IS by a couple hundred pounds but still be a grand touring car ~3200lbs
4) V6 would prolly cost around $30k and V8 around $40k

sounds pretty feasible since the IS platform is becoming a performance sedan/coupe idea and having an equivalent toyota would definitely be a supra... the engines will already exist, be tried and tested so that a little more power can be squeezed out... and will still have terrific gas mileage (especially the new V6) and toyota reliability

it will steal sales from the 350z, g35, evo, sti, rx-8, etc... since toyota will design it to be less super aggressive but still sexy... the people turned off by the 350z (myself included) will flock to this car
Old 06-20-05, 04:39 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I'm wondering is when it will buckle down onto horspwoer and these companies forget things like...oh I dunno dependabiliy? I mean the new M5 gets there way too fast especially for a family sedan. Good lord that's fast. Since everyone is adding more Horses, they are more focussed on that rather than all the other things like designs. Like that new mercedes. If they actually spent more time on their styling rather than what's under the flippin hood, maybe it wouldn't be a bimmer interior on a kia/ford exterior.
Old 06-20-05, 10:32 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Toyota can afford many things right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they got Yamaha to produce another engine for them. But, Honda selling Toyota the rights to their V10? I don't know, possible, but is it likely?

Off Topic; Honda + V8 might become true in the near future...
an insider posted a while ago on another forum that at an Acura dealer meeting, talk of a V8 continued. Basically, they wanted to know if producing a V8 would bring in enough income to have reason to build one. Cars that would have it include the RL, Ridgeline, a sedan above the RL, MDX, and maybe the NSX replacement if it ever comes. Mugen put an insane V8 into their RL to showcase the possibility (4.0L, ~600 HP)

Back to topic; regardless of how Toyota does it, giving Lexus a supercar can only bring more prosperity to Lexus. Acura's NSX during its "youth" brought in customers who simply wanted to see the car. They might have ended up driving away in an Integra or Legend. The LF-A is only a good thing IMO.