Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

LC Convertible Concept

Old 01-11-19, 04:02 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Default LC Convertible Concept

Lexus shocked the automotive world in Detroit in 2016 with the debut of the LC coupe. It was a testament to the brand's new sense of creative ambition, but it was only just the beginning. Since then, the Lexus design team has been exploring the brand's evolution and the latest result of those explorations will make its debut at the 2019 North American International Auto Show with the world premiere of the Lexus LC Convertible Concept.

An open-air roadster that is an artful reflection of the LC coupe, the design goal of the Convertible Concept was the expression of "ultimate beauty". From the rake of the windshield to the smooth contours of the rear decklid that houses the convertible top, every line on the LC Convertible concept was drawn to evoke an emotional response. A stunning design from every angle, the LC Convertible concept stands as an aspirational halo vehicle for the entire Lexus lineup.

"This concept takes the unmistakable design of the LC coupe and reimagines it as a future convertible," said Tadao Mori, chief designer of the LC Convertible concept. "It blends all the best aspects of the original coupe with the dynamic design of an open-air convertible."

Long, low and lean, the Lexus LC Convertible concept retains the athletic proportions of the LC coupe. It's a shape that evolved naturally from the original LC design, yet still manages to stand on its own with a unique identity. It blends uniquely Japanese aesthetics with the promise of sensory satisfaction that only a convertible can provide.

In addition to the visual appeal of the exterior sheetmetal, the Lexus LC Convertible concept attracts drivers and passengers alike with an allure of a cabin that caters to every need. From the comfort of its tailored seats to the feel of every switch and button, everything about this LC is designed to make even the most common trip feel like an occasion. Crisp white leather trim abounds while yellow accent stitching adds a pop of color without distracting from the subtle elegance of the overall design.

More than just a grand tourer, the strong exterior lines of the Lexus LC Convertible concept reinforce its performance pedigree. Its short overhangs, 22-inch wheels and wide stance are all reminders of this car's performance potential.

"A production version of this concept would be exhilarating in many different ways. You would see its dynamic lines as you approach, hear its engine when you started it up and feel everything around you once on the road. It would engage the senses in a way that is unique and exciting every time you got behind the wheel," said Mori-san.
  • Length: 4770mm (187.8")
  • Width: 1920mm (75.6")
  • Height: 1340mm (52.8")
  • Wheelbase: 2870mm (113.0")

The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 04:18 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

During a time where there are rumors swirling that Lexus is looking to cancel the GS, GX and IS models, Lexus reinforces that it hasn’t totally forgotten about car enthusiast by launching a LC 500 Convertible Concept that looks damn near production ready. This car if it makes it to production will certainly be a niche market product and rare gem amongst the streets of cities like Naples and Palm Springs. I hope the Lexus executives decides to make this vehicle and I hope this is a light at the end of our dark tunnel that Lexus isn’t dead in regards to producing low volume niche market vehicles.
Old 01-13-19, 11:11 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Old 01-14-19, 04:10 AM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any word if it is a hardtop?

99% sure it is, based on their history and the trunk lid design.
Old 01-16-19, 04:28 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Patek14
Any word if it is a hardtop?

99% sure it is, based on their history and the trunk lid design.

Old 02-19-19, 08:00 PM
REC911
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I was really looking forward to the RCF being a drop top. Bummer that they nixed it and are doing the LC500 instead. They need a convertible for the masses not the 1%. (or both I guess)
ighrev6 I like your choice of weekend cars....I sold this a couple months ago and really miss it.
Old 06-12-19, 01:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus LC Convertible to debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/l...f-speed-debut/
Old 10-16-19, 01:41 PM
ghome208
Starfleet Brat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The back of the concept reminds me of a Prius... not sure that's a good thing.
Old 02-21-20, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Didn’t really want to start a new thread.

They had the new concept at the show. This thing is a beautiful cabriolet. Personally speaking, gives the S class cabriolet a run for the money.

Super sexy 22” rims.
white leather (or whatever they call it)

Would be more amazing if they have the magic decals V12

The rear seats are upright like a pick up cab.

Anyways, I think Lexus went the right direction with this design.

Old 04-29-21, 05:38 AM
MaXpeedingRods
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much, I learn a lot from it.
Old 11-24-21, 10:41 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Didn’t really want to start a new thread.

They had the new concept at the show. This thing is a beautiful cabriolet. Personally speaking, gives the S class cabriolet a run for the money.

Super sexy 22” rims.
white leather (or whatever they call it)

Anyways, I think Lexus went the right direction with this design.
Lexus misses the boat for a couple things that MBZ does with their cabriolets. Easiest to fix would be the remote actuated ragtop down that MBZ does. Makes the car user friendly so you can easily put your stuff in the back seat. The pricepoint is a bit higher than warranted, as well. As you note, not even real leather.
Old 04-21-23, 01:03 PM
jym626
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the email from Lexus about the 2024 LC 500 convertible. No mention of hard or soft top. Really miss the hardtop in our old IS250C. Any chance it will be hack on the new convertible?