ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-prototypes-and-next-gen-technology-192/)
-   -   Should Lexus make a non-hybrid CT250? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-prototypes-and-next-gen-technology/510928-should-lexus-make-a-non-hybrid-ct250.html)

PhilipMSPT 07-01-10 07:53 AM

Should Lexus make a non-hybrid CT250?

Should Lexus introduce a lighter-weight, non-hybrid 250 (similar power as the IS250); priced a little less than the IS250?

DISCUSS.

Allen K 07-01-10 09:04 AM

I think if they're going to go non-hybrid, they should go big and toss the 350 engine in there. It would be easier to manage torque steer if they threw in the AWD, but even if it stayed FWD, it shouldn't be too bad

tigmd99 07-01-10 09:23 AM

I think that it is a good idea...but the 250 engine needs to be more fuel efficient...maybe add direct-injection.

MR_F1 07-01-10 12:51 PM

2.5 turbo awd. Thank you, that is all.

CRB 07-02-10 03:28 PM

With an all aluminum inline six and rear wheel drive.

LexFather 07-02-10 07:48 PM

No, I think they have gone downmarket enough here and the hybrid powerplant separates it from others in this class.

I would like to see a small coupe ala 1 series (though I would prefer RWD).

(Cj) 07-03-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MR_F1 (Post 5609968)
2.5 turbo awd. Thank you, that is all.

They could use the Subaru STI engine (since they already have a partnership with them) plus a modified Subaru AWD system (something that'll work on the CT's platform).

305hp turbo plus AWD for $35~K? I'd hit that thing up!

MR_F1 07-03-10 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by (Cj) (Post 5614051)
They could use the Subaru STI engine (since they already have a partnership with them) plus a modified Subaru AWD system (something that'll work on the CT's platform).

305hp turbo plus AWD for $35~K? I'd hit that thing up!

The AZ and hopefully by extension the AR is quite adept at being boosted. They already have a good awd system in the Caldina, don't see any need for Subaru's involvement. I'd welcome it if they decided to take that approach though.

avascon1 08-07-10 10:40 PM

CtF ftw haha

TankMR 08-13-10 11:26 AM

They should make a CT460h

Mister Two 08-13-10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tigmd99 (Post 5609353)
I think that it is a good idea...but the 250 engine needs to be more fuel efficient...maybe add direct-injection.

The 250 engine already uses direct injection. What it needs is the port injection that the 350 has.

MG512 08-13-10 04:36 PM

I'm torn on this. On one hand I think Lexus would do well to have an affordable hatchback and could offer it in two trims, 250 and 350, just like the IS. On the other hand I think they're trying to build their line of hybrid vehicles which is why the HS wasn't offered as a non-Hybrid. I think both the HS and the CT without the luxury hybrid appeal would kind of defeat the point of the cars. They would just both be cheap Lexus models, although I'm not sure how much cheaper the HS would be without hybrid technology considering it's priced higher than the IS. The CT would be quite cheap, however. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because Audi and BMW have both released more entry level cars, which is why I am torn as to if Lexus should compete with them too or go in their own direction of creating a line of luxury hybrid cars. Personally I love both cars (I leased an HS this week, and the CT, while nice, wouldn't be for me because I couldn't sit comfortably in an IS as I am a bigger guy using the car to commute 35 miles and it looks as though the CT is going to be around the same size or smaller) but I'm not sure where they would fit in without hybrid.

TRDFantasy 08-13-10 07:42 PM

No. I agree with SICK, they've already gone downmarket enough.

A regular gas-engine hatch with good handling should be for the Toyota brand.

MG512 08-14-10 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy (Post 5714068)
No. I agree with SICK, they've already gone downmarket enough.

A regular gas-engine hatch with good handling should be for the Toyota brand.

That's mostly what I was thinking too, I was just torn because it's not like it would be a bad car especially if they threw a great engine in it. But they already have the HS which starts at 2k more than the IS. If they took either the HS or the CT, which will be cheaper than the HS, and made non-hybrid versions they would definitely be way below the price of the IS (especially since the CT will price lower than the IS to begin with). The more I think about it the more I think Lexus should continue on their own path of producing only luxury cars and not drop down to the levels BMW and Audi have in order to cater to more of a market. They have Toyota to do that, BMW and Audi don't have a non-luxury brand (although Audi and VW are owned by the same people and share a lot of parts I don't think it is considered to have the same relationship as Lexus/Toyota, but I could be wrong about this image).

Mister Two 08-14-10 01:31 PM

If they are serious about competing in Europe, yes, they should do a non-hybrid, but in form of a CT220d.