Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Should Lexus make a non-hybrid CT250?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should Lexus make a non-hybrid CT250?

Should Lexus introduce a lighter-weight, non-hybrid 250 (similar power as the IS250); priced a little less than the IS250?

DISCUSS.
Old 07-01-10, 09:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

I think if they're going to go non-hybrid, they should go big and toss the 350 engine in there. It would be easier to manage torque steer if they threw in the AWD, but even if it stayed FWD, it shouldn't be too bad
Old 07-01-10, 09:23 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think that it is a good idea...but the 250 engine needs to be more fuel efficient...maybe add direct-injection.
Old 07-01-10, 12:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.5 turbo awd. Thank you, that is all.
Old 07-02-10, 03:28 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

With an all aluminum inline six and rear wheel drive.
Old 07-02-10, 07:48 PM
LexFather

No, I think they have gone downmarket enough here and the hybrid powerplant separates it from others in this class.

I would like to see a small coupe ala 1 series (though I would prefer RWD).
Old 07-03-10, 09:57 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
2.5 turbo awd. Thank you, that is all.
They could use the Subaru STI engine (since they already have a partnership with them) plus a modified Subaru AWD system (something that'll work on the CT's platform).

305hp turbo plus AWD for $35~K? I'd hit that thing up!
Old 07-03-10, 10:35 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
They could use the Subaru STI engine (since they already have a partnership with them) plus a modified Subaru AWD system (something that'll work on the CT's platform).

305hp turbo plus AWD for $35~K? I'd hit that thing up!
The AZ and hopefully by extension the AR is quite adept at being boosted. They already have a good awd system in the Caldina, don't see any need for Subaru's involvement. I'd welcome it if they decided to take that approach though.
Old 08-07-10, 10:40 PM
avascon1
Rookie

CtF ftw haha
Old 08-13-10, 11:26 AM
TankMR
Lead Lap

They should make a CT460h
Old 08-13-10, 02:45 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I think that it is a good idea...but the 250 engine needs to be more fuel efficient...maybe add direct-injection.
The 250 engine already uses direct injection. What it needs is the port injection that the 350 has.
Old 08-13-10, 04:36 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

I'm torn on this. On one hand I think Lexus would do well to have an affordable hatchback and could offer it in two trims, 250 and 350, just like the IS. On the other hand I think they're trying to build their line of hybrid vehicles which is why the HS wasn't offered as a non-Hybrid. I think both the HS and the CT without the luxury hybrid appeal would kind of defeat the point of the cars. They would just both be cheap Lexus models, although I'm not sure how much cheaper the HS would be without hybrid technology considering it's priced higher than the IS. The CT would be quite cheap, however. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because Audi and BMW have both released more entry level cars, which is why I am torn as to if Lexus should compete with them too or go in their own direction of creating a line of luxury hybrid cars. Personally I love both cars (I leased an HS this week, and the CT, while nice, wouldn't be for me because I couldn't sit comfortably in an IS as I am a bigger guy using the car to commute 35 miles and it looks as though the CT is going to be around the same size or smaller) but I'm not sure where they would fit in without hybrid.
Old 08-13-10, 07:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No. I agree with SICK, they've already gone downmarket enough.

A regular gas-engine hatch with good handling should be for the Toyota brand.
Old 08-14-10, 01:11 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No. I agree with SICK, they've already gone downmarket enough.

A regular gas-engine hatch with good handling should be for the Toyota brand.
That's mostly what I was thinking too, I was just torn because it's not like it would be a bad car especially if they threw a great engine in it. But they already have the HS which starts at 2k more than the IS. If they took either the HS or the CT, which will be cheaper than the HS, and made non-hybrid versions they would definitely be way below the price of the IS (especially since the CT will price lower than the IS to begin with). The more I think about it the more I think Lexus should continue on their own path of producing only luxury cars and not drop down to the levels BMW and Audi have in order to cater to more of a market. They have Toyota to do that, BMW and Audi don't have a non-luxury brand (although Audi and VW are owned by the same people and share a lot of parts I don't think it is considered to have the same relationship as Lexus/Toyota, but I could be wrong about this image).
Old 08-14-10, 01:31 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

If they are serious about competing in Europe, yes, they should do a non-hybrid, but in form of a CT220d.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus make a non-hybrid CT250?