Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Toyota Prius hits 113mpg (the next one)

Old 04-10-06, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here in the U.S. of course, the primary comparison between hybrids and diesel automobiles ( not trucks ) is with the VW line of diesels. ( Mercedes markets one or two diesel models and Jeep produces a diesel Liberty but their sales are inconsequential ). If you look at what mileage owners actually GET in daily service, there is little difference between the Prius / Civic class of hybrids and the VW line of Golf / Beetle / Jetta / Passat diesels. Both average around 40-45 MPG in routine daily driving. ( The Passat diesel slightly less becsuse of its larger size and weight ) The hybrids get better figures in the city; the diesels on the highway. However, I admit the diesels currently pollute a lot more, but that may be changing as well as soon as the low-sulfur diesel fuel is available here....it is supposed to be here by November of this year unless the EPA grants an extension.
And......no, I have not yet heard of any production diesel car getting 113 MPG, though the European-only VW Lupo with the little 1.2L diesel supposedly, under ideal driving conditions, can get around 80.
right, but thats only if you drive mostly on the highway. In the city driving, difference is more like double towards Prius. Which is what Europeans do a lot. When you mix it up, there is no way current large car diesel can reach petrol hybrid consumption.

Even under highway driving, Prius will get at least 10% better mpg than old pumpe diesels in current VW's, that are also slower than Prius.

My new Rav4 is diesel... spends almost no fuel at all :-). I will probably be able to get 35mpg without any problems with it (I get 50mpg in prius without any problems either). Goes fast too... My main complaint with it is that it is noisy, especially after Prius. It is very noisy, despite being latest generation, high tech all aluminium diesel engine. You see when they enlarge pressures in common rail, noise is also higher (think GS300 noise multiplied by 10). New VW diesels are even noiser.

So my problem with diesel isnt really consumption. Its quite good. 35mpg average for Europe is awesome for SUV (at least 10 mpg more than slower 4cly engine). It is fast enough too, new gen diesels like to rev a lot more than old iron block ones. But the noise... I would pay gladly extra 2k for Hybrid version of Rav4, for more performance, slightly more MPG, and a LOT quieter car. You already pay around 2k more for diesel vs petrol versions.

I dont see any problems with gen 3 Prius pricing. I actually think it will be slightly lower than before, but in more luxurious, economical and sporty package.
Old 04-10-06, 01:34 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Li-Ion battery will run the price too high, then it may become a LEXUS option =P

You've seen the Landcruiser/LX

You've seen the Camry/ES (admit it! It's a REALLY cush camry =P)

You've seen the 4Runner/GX (sort of stretching it now)

You've seen the Highlander/RX (now I'm REALLY stretching it =P)

Prepare yourself.

*Unveils the new Lexus*

The Lexus PS200h.

A "Pollution-reducing Solution" that has the power of a 2.0L engine! Another Lexus first! A Lithium Ion battery powered hybrid capable of over 100 MPG! Amazing? Yes! Will it hit the EPA estimate? Probably not, but who cares! It's a LEXUS.

Hahahaha... all jokes aside, Toyota may be developing this to counter GM's "Corn Fuel" (What's it called again?). This morning, I saw a commercial for the 'corn-powered' vehicles from GM... I guess the next Prius will have to step up if the public starts looking into the 'corn-powered' cars.
Old 04-10-06, 03:13 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's incredible. the current prius is what, like 60mpg? awesome man, this is almost doubling the current one!
Not in real life, its more like 41-45MPG according to AutoWeek long term test. That old EPA test is going to KILL hybrid economy claims next year.
Old 04-10-06, 03:42 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
but you'll end up driving like a grandma...where's the fun in that?
Doesn't matter if you're stuck in rush hour traffic. The Prius lets me drive in the carpool (HOV) lane without any passengers. The fun part is waving to all the people slogging through bumper-to-bumper traffic while I cruise by at 65mph.
Old 04-10-06, 05:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I m going to local toyota dealer here in berkeley for putting deposit for the next Prius(if they let me). I am serious.
Old 04-10-06, 05:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
I m going to local toyota dealer here in berkeley for putting deposit for the next Prius(if they let me). I am serious.
Haha, I'm not surprised at all given you're in Berkeley. Prius is so all over the streets of that snobbish liberal town.
Old 04-10-06, 05:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Haha, I'm not surprised at all given you're in Berkeley. Prius is so all over the streets of that snobbish liberal town.

only here, you will see 9102109839249328490 Prius a day! It's crazy! they hate my IS350 that gets 20MPG. I need to get one to join the trend with these profs.
Old 04-10-06, 07:07 PM
LexFather

The current Prius is the greatest hybrid ever made. I told ya'll last year, the biggest obstable to current hybrids is the batteries.
I know the next RXh will use the new batteries for more power and more efficiency.

I've said it again and again, this is JUST the BEGININING!! Hybrids will continue to get more efficient and we will also get more performance and packaging will get better as batteries get smaller.

Toyota is just on some next level stuff right now
Old 04-10-06, 11:11 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by toy4two
Not in real life, its more like 41-45MPG according to AutoWeek long term test. That old EPA test is going to KILL hybrid economy claims next year.
Depends on what they travel mostly, 60mpg for city (some have gotten and beaten that on priuschat) and 50mpg hwy where most get that or pretty close to that on priuschat
Old 04-11-06, 06:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

113 mpg in Imperial gallons = 94 mpg in American gallons BTW . . .
Old 04-11-06, 07:37 AM
Milla...

Thats all great and woot te doop and all but if the things are priced over what the current ones run than is there really any benefit even if the thing gets 150 mpg in real life driving? Change comes in numbers and if a great majority can't afford the car then its pointless IMO. They would really be doing something if they made the car more accessible economically otherwise Toyota you're not impressing me, in fact your frustrating most folks. It looks more like bragging rights more than anything to me. Until everyone jumps on board and produce more hybrids and create some real competition and bring these prices down color me unimpressed.

Last edited by Milla...; 04-11-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 08:08 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
113 mpg in Imperial gallons = 94 mpg in American gallons BTW . . .
WTF is an imperial gallon? Is that part of the metric system? I wish the whole world used one system preferrably the metric system, it only makes sense.
Old 04-11-06, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
WTF is an imperial gallon? Is that part of the metric system? I wish the whole world used one system preferrably the metric system, it only makes sense.
Imperial gallons are of British origin and are used in Canada. One Imperial gallon is a little more than a U.S. gallon.

Here are the official stats:

http://www.sizes.com/units/gallon_imperial.htm
Old 04-11-06, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
In Berkeley the Prius serves as the perfect stepdown vehicle. You can't give up your SUV and start riding bicycles all at once....got to do it in steps.
Old 04-11-06, 09:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
No, Imperial gallon = British gallon, not metric system.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-11-06 at 09:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Prius hits 113mpg (the next one)