Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Old 03-06-06, 05:45 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

TOKYO — Toyota has secretly approved plans to put its sensational 200-mph Lexus LF-A supercar in the market, according to a report in Tokyo.

Japan's media are reporting that Toyota will launch a luxury sports car for the Lexus brand embracing F1 technology in fall 2008. The reports also say Toyota is pitching hard to bring the Japanese F1 Grand Prix to its newly refurbished Fuji Speedway track, which will help the company drive home the car's F1 connection.

The supersleek LF-A, as shown so far, has a 5.0-liter, front-mounted V10. However, with F1 engine regulations switching to V8, it raises the question whether Toyota will make that change on the LF-A as well. The fact that Honda is preparing a new V10 NSX for 2009 suggests Toyota will stick with the V10 so it won't lose out in the image war, and at the same time to hold firm to the LF-A's premium status.

The LF-A sticker is expected to be just under $170,000, a bargain by supercar standards.

Honda's contract to hold the F1 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka expires this year. This has not escaped the attention of Toyota, which will be lobbying hard to stage the race at its own Fuji Speedway, near Tokyo. Honda, however, seems determined to fight to keep its F1 date. That raises the possibility of two F1 races in Japan, which sounds exciting!

What this means to you: Toyota, with cash to burn, puts the pedal to the metal with F1, both on the circuit and the road.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109529#2
Old 03-06-06, 05:53 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow 170k... i was thinking 100k around the nsx range for an unestablished company in the exotic range. i dont think this will sell well at all with that price.
Old 03-06-06, 06:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like I'm gonna have to find a way to come up with half a mill so that I can have the LF-A and the new NSX sitting next to each other in my garage.
Old 03-06-06, 06:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I think they'll sell every one they make and that won't be many.

I've no doubt this car will be incredible in the performance department. The looks though I'm still doubtful on.
Old 03-06-06, 06:41 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I've no doubt this car will be incredible in the performance department. The looks though I'm still doubtful on.

I agree.

Many new wealthy people are looking for a way to get something different and more attention grabbing than Ferraris and the like which have become commonplace in their neighborhoods (or on their private islands for that matter ).

I think if they put half as much effort in this car as they did with their LS it will be a great success.
Old 03-06-06, 06:51 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Engine and price wise, it might be in the exotic range, however, the styling doesn't look like a 150K+ car to me.
Old 03-06-06, 07:05 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r00kie
Engine and price wise, it might be in the exotic range, however, the styling doesn't look like a 150K+ car to me.
I heard the same **** when the Supra came out. Look at how that car is so sought after even today.
Old 03-06-06, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yaro1
I agree.

Many new wealthy people are looking for a way to get something different and more attention grabbing than Ferraris and the like which have become commonplace in their neighborhoods (or on their private islands for that matter ).

I think if they put half as much effort in this car as they did with their LS it will be a great success.
I agree, the wealthy will buy just b/c its the supreme Japanese exotic, the NSX is the closest produced from Japan.

And no offense but it couldnt be any uglier than the current crop of ferraris
Old 03-06-06, 07:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

theyve stated in a press release it will look dramatically different than the LFA concept
Old 03-06-06, 07:45 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree, the wealthy will buy just b/c its the supreme Japanese exotic, the NSX is the closest produced from Japan.

And no offense but it couldnt be any uglier than the current crop of ferraris
Word and I'll buy one in 2010 cause $170K is silly for that. I'd rather have a Bentley GT for that price.
Old 03-06-06, 08:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

it will be nice to look at and dream. 170K is way outta my range.
Old 03-06-06, 08:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure how accurate the pricing is. One thing is for sure, this car IS coming.

If it will actually be 170K, you can definitely bet it will be a supercar, but with a Lexus interior, and Lexus luxury. With a 170K, speculation can run wild as to what the car would actually have. At the price, Toyota could build a car with an aluminum-composite spaceframe chassis, use magnesium and or titanium for body panels to further lighten the car, likely use some super light-weight exotic interior materials and sound deadening material. The V10 engine I'm guessing would also be very light.

I just can't wait to see the production model. The production GT-R from Nissan will be shown at the Tokyo Auto Show in 2007. Hopefully, the production LF-A is shown at the same time, or before that, so steal some of the GT-R's thunder.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If Toyota will unveil the car in tandem with an F1 victory, it will be sheer genius on their part, as they will have a ton of publicity from an F1 victory, and unveiling a supercar based on F1 technology would further enhance the shock that the industry and Toyota's competitors would receive.
Old 03-06-06, 08:23 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

As everyone said above, 170K is way out of line for this car. The new 911-TT costs around 120K and the BMW M5 is close to 100K. These are cars that have been proven in their respective markets. For Toyota to bring out an unproven car for 170K, this reminds me of the Phaeton debacle unfortunately.
Old 03-06-06, 08:25 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

If the are really going to MSRP it at $170,000, Toyota better do a great job on the performance category to back up the price tag they put on this car. Toyota not necessarily want to make a profit on this car, and they don't have to set a sales goal on this car also. They just want to have a "halo" car at the line up, and want to prove to the world that Toyota can build a great sports exotic also. This is a marketing campaign for Lexus/Toyota to show their "sporty" side.

Once again, if and only if they have the performance to back it up. It better be at least as fast as the M6/SL65/F430.
Old 03-06-06, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Well its a big leap for Lexus but this is what they want to do. This is a dream for Toyota. They want to continue to go upmarket.

If ANY Japanese luxury maker can pull it off, it would be Lexus. By 2007, the LS 600h will be out and that car will probably be around 80-85k, making that the most expensive Lexus ever.

This LFA is made to show their F-1 technology, its the flagship, the pinnacle of technology for this company.

If anything, it will be priced LOWER than any competition, as Lexus always offers more or the equivlent for less

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008