Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lexus VX (yes, VX, not a typo)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 04:45 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i personally think it'd be a great car to add to the lineup... but it just wouldn't appeal to me. i'm not a pacifica, r class, etc guy at all. i like my sedans.
Old 05-19-06, 07:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think this will be a R-Class competitor. Why? Because there is no market for such cars. Look at how bad those are selling. The R-Class doesn't have the macho/rugged image of SUVs to grasp the attention of non-moms, not big enough to have much utility, and basically doesn't excel in any criteria. I don't think Lexus needs to compete with something that already has a very limited market (which is those who seeks semi-performance and semi-utility and semi-efficiency and at a high price).
Old 05-19-06, 07:44 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Oh good, another tall vehicle I can't see around when driving my GS or MR2. Fantastic.

Does the USA need another SUV? Really, now?
Couldn't agree more. SUV's provide a false sense of security for drivers who are insecure with their driving ability while most of them provide no more seating room than a normal sedan. In addition to getting bad gas mileage. Oh how i hate SUV's...
Old 05-19-06, 08:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maz
Couldn't agree more. SUV's provide a false sense of security for drivers who are insecure with their driving ability while most of them provide no more seating room than a normal sedan. In addition to getting bad gas mileage. Oh how i hate SUV's...
No kids eh?
Old 05-19-06, 09:22 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

This forum has been contaminated with SENTOX VX1 nerve gas.

Somebody find Chole, we're going to run out of air soon!
Old 05-19-06, 11:23 PM
LexFather

So let me get this right.
1. Lexus has 3 SUVs, all which sell decent considering age etc.
2. People clown Lexus for selling 3 (well with the 400h 4) SUVs but the competion is following suit.
3. The RX selling over 100k SUVs every year, yet we think it needs a third row.

Clearly, Lexus figured out, the RX doesn't need a third, useless row. A row in name only. A third row, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. One, if I sat in, it would cut off the circulation to my nuts, in 15 seconds.

But oh, I got a third row!

Lexus needs to continue to focus on cars and sedans and coupes and hybrids and leave this crossover, more SUV stuff to the competiton who is dying for SALES, not trying to breakthrough with anything.
Old 05-20-06, 01:07 AM
maz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
No kids eh?
No . But I don't see how a large family sedan like a camry, or an ES, GS, LS, 5 series, 7 series, etc can't accomodate children. If you need a car with 7 seats, then maybe you are a suitable candidate for an SUV. But most of the SUV's I see being driven around are usually five seaters and are usually carrying only the driver. I just don't see what's so appealing about driving a car that is unnecesarily big. Is it the ride height? The large presence of the car? The fact that your more likely to rollover in an accident and kill more people? Right now I'm in the process of dissuading my mom from purchasing an H2. It seems the only reason she wants it is because... well I really don't know.
Old 05-20-06, 09:49 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maz
No . But I don't see how a large family sedan like a camry, or an ES, GS, LS, 5 series, 7 series, etc can't accomodate children. If you need a car with 7 seats, then maybe you are a suitable candidate for an SUV. But most of the SUV's I see being driven around are usually five seaters and are usually carrying only the driver. I just don't see what's so appealing about driving a car that is unnecesarily big. Is it the ride height? The large presence of the car? The fact that your more likely to rollover in an accident and kill more people? Right now I'm in the process of dissuading my mom from purchasing an H2. It seems the only reason she wants it is because... well I really don't know.
I hear you and I agree. However, I've got to show the other side here and address Mike's (1SICK) comments.

My wife is 5' 2" and drove a Celica up until she was 30. At this time, she went and drove a RX300 - I'm really not sure why. But the thing drove just like a car and she really enjoyed being able to see everything a lot better (vs the down low view of the Celica). So she was hooked and yes, she was driving around a car bigger than she needed. Then we had a kid and it turns out the RX was just perfect. The height allowed her to put the kid in without bending down or reaching up. Then we had a second kid. Now things were getting a little tighter. An overnight trip meant the car was PACKED. Picking up a friend from school became impossible as the RX will not hold 3 car seats (too narrow). Still she loved the car - however it was now getting to the point where other Moms were starting to get a little annoyed that they could pick our kids up but we could not pick their's up. So time for a bigger vehicle. Now mind you, my wife LOVED her RX - but Lexus doesn't make a 3rd row RX - so we had to go with the Acura MDX. The mileage we are racking up on this thing is unreal because we can now do things we could not in the past (including picking up all those little tikes from school).

So yes, we really do use all the room and yes she loves being up high and seeing the road better. Oh and yes, you are still correct; too many people have SUVs that don't need them.

Mike, Lexus needs to build the larger RX because the market wants it. Sales of the RX are starting to wean (IMHO) and the new MDX is going to present some serious competition to the RX (take a look at the MDX sales and they are unbelievable considering the car is basically unchanged since 2001 and a new one is on the way). I would bet that there are plenty of MDX buyers that would have rather had an RX if it was bigger (count me in as one). If you want the 3rd row now in a Lexus product you are well into the 50s and you are stuck in a truck with a terrible 3rd row. They need to fix this.

PS - I drove the MDX last night and today (thank GOD because I bought a dishwasher on the way into work (unexpectedly) and had to put it somewhere!). The car is not as tight as the RX300 and does not seem to stop as well. But oh the engine -what a sweet piece of machinery.
Old 05-20-06, 09:58 AM
LexFather

I hear you and I agree. However, I've got to show the other side here and address Mike's (1SICK) comments.

My wife is 5' 2" and drove a Celica up until she was 30. At this time, she went and drove a RX300 - I'm really not sure why. But the thing drove just like a car and she really enjoyed being able to see everything a lot better (vs the down low view of the Celica). So she was hooked and yes, she was driving around a car bigger than she needed. Then we had a kid and it turns out the RX was just perfect. The height allowed her to put the kid in without bending down or reaching up. Then we had a second kid. Now things were getting a little tighter. An overnight trip meant the car was PACKED. Picking up a friend from school became impossible as the RX will not hold 3 car seats (too narrow). Still she loved the car - however it was now getting to the point where other Moms were starting to get a little annoyed that they could pick our kids up but we could not pick their's up. So time for a bigger vehicle. Now mind you, my wife LOVED her RX - but Lexus doesn't make a 3rd row RX - so we had to go with the Acura MDX. The mileage we are racking up on this thing is unreal because we can now do things we could not in the past (including picking up all those little tikes from school).

So yes, we really do use all the room and yes she loves being up high and seeing the road better. Oh and yes, you are still correct; too many people have SUVs that don't need them.

Mike, Lexus needs to build the larger RX because the market wants it. Sales of the RX are starting to wean (IMHO) and the new MDX is going to present some serious competition to the RX (take a look at the MDX sales and they are unbelievable considering the car is basically unchanged since 2001 and a new one is on the way). I would bet that there are plenty of MDX buyers that would have rather had an RX if it was bigger (count me in as one). If you want the 3rd row now in a Lexus product you are well into the 50s and you are stuck in a truck with a terrible 3rd row. They need to fix this.

PS - I drove the MDX last night and today (thank GOD because I bought a dishwasher on the way into work (unexpectedly) and had to put it somewhere!). The car is not as tight as the RX300 and does not seem to stop as well. But oh the engine -what a sweet piece of machinery.

I think we'll agree to disagree here. THe RX started the segment, the MDX came afterwards and Acura had to 1 size their truck, since they only had 1 SUV. Lexus didn't have that problem, the RX is the 5 seater,you want 7 seats, you can move up to the GX or LX.

Both sell well and both are greatly successful. I like the small size of the RX an I already hope the RX doesn't get any bigger, its part of the "car" appeal. The MDX is too big for my liking, as the LX and GX.
Old 05-20-06, 10:11 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we'll agree to disagree here. THe RX started the segment, the MDX came afterwards and Acura had to 1 size their truck, since they only had 1 SUV. Lexus didn't have that problem, the RX is the 5 seater,you want 7 seats, you can move up to the GX or LX.

Both sell well and both are greatly successful. I like the small size of the RX an I already hope the RX doesn't get any bigger, its part of the "car" appeal. The MDX is too big for my liking, as the LX and GX.
Don't get me wrong Mike, I think Lexus would be crazy to replace the RX with a 3-seater. I'm betting their target demographic is couples 40 and higher that do not have kids - or who's kids are larger and they want a luxury car/SUV - and they do NOT want a 3rd row. But Lexus does need to offer a stretched version (RX350L?) in addition to the standard one. The hot segment is the car based SUVs so I don't think the GX/LX is a viable option here. Just my opinion of coruse

PS - you are too young to be driving the RX dude, quit messing around get the BMW you really want
Old 05-21-06, 01:35 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

If you need three rows, why an SUV vs. a minivan? Aren't minivans more spacious?

And what I don't get is if you have multiple kids and so need extra space/rows for them and to haul stuff, SUVs and minivans with all the seats up provide very little space in the back for storage...
Old 05-22-06, 10:16 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
If you need three rows, why an SUV vs. a minivan? Aren't minivans more spacious?

And what I don't get is if you have multiple kids and so need extra space/rows for them and to haul stuff, SUVs and minivans with all the seats up provide very little space in the back for storage...
They certainly are! But they are rare in AWD (my reason for not liking them) and they have that soccer Mom stigma (her reason for not liking them).

Yes, very little storage with the third row in place - you have to go to a Suburban to get real storage. But we have the need to truck a little extra one around on a weekly basis and it tends to be home from school and not a a given trip. Plus with one seat folded down, you have plenty of storgage (which we used when we recently picked up a family of 5 and their luggage from the airport.
Old 06-10-06, 09:21 AM
toyotafan2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Threxx
Saw a blurb on MotorTrend.com's future vehicle forcast for a 2008 Lexus VX.

From what it said it will be a car-based SUV based on the GS' chassis and V6/V8/hybrid drivetrain. Not intended to replace anything but rather to add an SUV option that's larger than the current RX but not as rough around the edges as, say, the GX (due to being a true truck based platform).

Any additional info on this? The really confusing part is after doing some searches for "Lexus VX" on google I found lots of people referring to it as the replacement for the LX and that it'd be based on the new 07 Tundra. That's nothing remotely close to the GS' platform.... so which is it. Is MT.com misinformed or do they know something that most others don't know yet?

I personally think it'd be a good vehicle if priced reasonably. My wife drives an 05 4runner limited at the moment and finds it to be a little too 'trucky'. But she doesn't want to give up her SUV because she likes the more commanding view of the road and we like to be able to occasionally haul stuff around in the back or take it on trips.
I have heard rumors it may be called JX, don't quote me if I'm wrong, it's likely going to be called JX 470 or JX 540 since it's being released with a 5.4 liter V8 based on the new Tundra engine. Unibody construction and design based on Sequoia I believe, on schedule as 2008 model year, release in 2007 most likely. Built in Indiana, 1st Lexus model built in United States.
Old 06-10-06, 09:26 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toyotafan2
I have heard rumors it may be called JX, don't quote me if I'm wrong, it's likely going to be called JX 470 or JX 540 since it's being released with a 5.4 liter V8 based on the new Tundra engine. Unibody construction and design based on Sequoia I believe, on schedule as 2008 model year, release in 2007 most likely. Built in Indiana, 1st Lexus model built in United States.
JX and VX don't conflict with each other. They are totally separate new models (from what I gathered at least). The JX will be a full-size SUV based on the Sequoia frame, while the VX will likely be a production version of the LF-X, a unibody 7-seater.
Old 06-10-06, 09:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyotafan2
How is it going to be based on the Sequoia, yet be unibody? Sequoia is body on frame, unless they intend to do a UB/BOF hybrid of sorts like the Honda Ridgeline...

Quick Reply: Lexus VX (yes, VX, not a typo)?