Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Ad attacks Toyota's record, Environmental group questions efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 12:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs down Ad attacks Toyota's record, Environmental group questions efficiency

Ad attacks Toyota's record

Environmental group questions efficiency

October 24, 2005

BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

"Is Toyota a wolf in sheep's clothing?"

That's what a stinging national ad campaign against Toyota Motor Corp., launched today by a San Francisco-based environmental group, suggests. The ad is to run in Mother Jones online today and be printed soon in full-page ads in the New York Times and other publications.

Created by the Bluewater Network, a nonprofit organization that fights for clean air and water, the ads against Toyota are thought to be the first ever to attack a Japanese automaker on its environmental record in the United States.

Bluewater says Toyota's hybrids aren't as efficient as their non-hybrid versions and questions why the automaker is fighting tougher standards on fuel economy and emissions. They also note that while Toyota's overall fuel economy is the best in the industry, it is worse than it was 20 years ago, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Toyota spokeswoman Nancy Hubbell said the automaker is disappointed by the campaign.

"Toyota is definitely the environmental leader, and we're extremely surprised," she said.

Bluewater is the same environmental group that launched a personal ad campaign against Ford Motor Co. last year, portraying Ford Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bill Ford as Pinocchio and challenging the automaker's record on environmental issues.

Those ads, according to Bluewater, were largely a consequence of Ford portraying himself as an environmentalist, making promises and not keeping them.

Now, Bluewater is taking on Toyota.

"We don't enjoy playing the truth squad," Danielle Fugere, director of climate change at Bluewater, said. "But when the auto industry misleads the public, whether intentionally or not, someone's got to set the record straight."

The ads against Toyota are likely to be heralded by Detroit automakers, which have been crying foul for years now over Toyota's seemingly bulletproof image with consumers as the environmentally friendly automaker.

Toyota makes one-third of the hybrid gasoline-electric vehicles sold in the United States and has consequently benefited from Earth-friendly buzz -- even getting A-list celebrities to arrive at the Academy Awards in hybrid Prius compact cars as an environmentally conscious fashion statement.

But Bluewater's ads, which were obtained by the Free Press last week, show Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe in the foreground and a man wearing a wolf head in the background. The ads list a series of concerns about Toyota.

Foremost, the group questions why Toyota's newest hybrids don't get much better fuel economy than their non-hybrid versions.

The hybrid version of the Highlander got only 20.6 miles per gallon in a week-long test drive this year on a range of driving conditions by Free Press auto critic Mark Phelan. The EPA rating shows the vehicle gets 33 m.p.g. city/28 m.p.g. highway in federal tests. The non-hybrid Highlander, meanwhile, was rated 19 m.p.g. city/25 m.p.g. highway by the EPA -- much closer to the actual results in the hybrid.

Other journalists have found similar results, Bluewater notes in its ad, calling the Highlander and Lexus RX 400h "gas guzzlers with no better fuel economy than their non-hybrid versions."

"If this is the precedent for Toyota's future hybrids, that will be bad news for global warming and our dependence on foreign oil," the ad says.

Hubbell of Toyota defended the company's hybrid vehicles, saying they are more efficient than their gasoline counterparts. What's more, she said they are 80% cleaner in emissions.

Bluewater also asks why Toyota is working with other automakers to resist federal efforts to raise national fuel mileage standards and suing to block California's proposed regulations to reduce smog and greenhouse gas pollution.

Hubbell said Toyota is lobbying for regulations that are "rational and national," to avoid a patchwork system of standards "that would be a nightmare" to comply with for manufacturers.

The ads also note that the average fuel mileage of Toyota vehicles is worse today than it was 20 years ago, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's 2005 Fuel Economy Trends report. In 2005, Toyota's fleet averaged 27.5 miles per gallon, the highest among manufacturers. But the company performed better in 1985, with its fleet averaging 30.0 miles per gallon, the EPA report shows.

Continued... http://www.freep.com/money/autonews...4e_20051024.htm
Old 10-24-05, 12:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

"We don't enjoy playing the truth squad," Danielle Fugere, director of climate change at Bluewater, said.
That might go down as the dumbest job title I've ever seen. Does she somehow think she can change the climate?

As to their ad and argument it's a typical anti-corporate rant, but the point about the Highlander and RX400h seems on point - they're only a very small step more enviro-friendly than their gasoline only models, but hey they're faster so that's cool. The Prius though is impressive if not cost effective.
Old 10-24-05, 01:01 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that's what the stoned-out hippies have been up to... I suppose we should all just ride bicycles... great idea if you work down the street from your home... but some of us don't have that luxury.

I especially like how they compared Toyota's average fuel mileage in 85 to their average today.... because as we all know Toyota's still making the same engine families and their model range hasn't changed at all.
Old 10-24-05, 01:22 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually a little glad that somebody I speaking up about Toyota. They really aren't too much different than a lot of other auto makers. Yes thier small cars are efficent, but their big trucks/SUV's get the same crappy mileage that the american ones do.

I do think the hybrid stuff is a good thing, but the mileage is overblown. I feel like Toyota has earned (or marketed) a reputation that it doesn't deserve, this might bring it in line with what it actually is. Probably not though, I doubt anybody will listen to this.

Don't think I'm a troll, read my other posts, I love Toyota/Lexus stuff. I just don't think the hybrid stuff is the end all be all technology. It seems that Hybrids and Toyota, due to excellent marketing, has convinced everybody that you can drive a hybrid and save the world. I also don't think Toyota is the "green" company everybody thinks they are.

Time to zip up my flame retardant suit.
Old 10-24-05, 02:11 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
I'm actually a little glad that somebody I speaking up about Toyota. They really aren't too much different than a lot of other auto makers. Yes thier small cars are efficent, but their big trucks/SUV's get the same crappy mileage that the american ones do.

I do think the hybrid stuff is a good thing, but the mileage is overblown. I feel like Toyota has earned (or marketed) a reputation that it doesn't deserve, this might bring it in line with what it actually is. Probably not though, I doubt anybody will listen to this.

Don't think I'm a troll, read my other posts, I love Toyota/Lexus stuff. I just don't think the hybrid stuff is the end all be all technology. It seems that Hybrids and Toyota, due to excellent marketing, has convinced everybody that you can drive a hybrid and save the world. I also don't think Toyota is the "green" company everybody thinks they are.

Time to zip up my flame retardant suit.
What are you... retarded? You've got to be the dumbest piece o....

j/p

I agree that Toyota is by no means a perfect car company, but I think an ad campaign attacking them is a little out of line. It's not like their skinning baby seals to cover seats. What really bothers me about this campaign is that it misses a really big point: Big, fuel-thirsty trucks are made BECAUSE AMERICANS WANT THEM. It's not like the auto manufacturers are forcing people to buy trucks. I doubt I'm the only person in this country who was actually given a choice of what vehicle I wanted. If people stopped buying these land-whales then the manufacturers wouldn't make them. When will people stop trying to pass the blame?
Old 10-24-05, 02:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to say that no one should ever question Toyota’s environmental policies, but OUT OF ALL the companies out there, THEY ARE ATTACKING TOYOTA??? wtf?

Talk about anti-corporate ranting like bitkahuna mentioned earlier.
Old 10-24-05, 03:32 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bluewater Network? Who?

More like who cares!

C'mon, don't they have anything better to complain about?
Old 10-24-05, 03:45 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

They should question the totally out-of-whack, totally unrealistic, EPA mileage testing standards.

While I do think that hybrids are not all they're cracked up to be, the issue is more with EPA testing. As long as hybrids get those EPA results, Toyota HAS to report those. They legally cannot claim a different mpg.
Old 10-24-05, 04:51 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

It makes me wonder what kind of cars BlueWater Networks employees really drive? If they all ride bikes or scooters, I give them great credit for looking out for the global enviroment. When Toyota took on this high technology sector they call "Hybrid" they already knew what can be coming at them and that is anti-groups or other auto rivals, a.k.a. S#!t! disturbers throwing anything from their own poor research with tastless critisism. I must admit that the mpg numbers Toyota is resulting are much lower than expected. I mean that with diesel proving to have great milage for quite sometime now, and other car manufacturers creating engines that almost match the mpg in hybrid and diesel technology today. At this point we expect more. On another thread discussed in this forum we have talked about "Hybrids" being more on a "performance" side acting as if a V6 mated with a Hybrid component equals V8 like performance with less fuel consumption in that sense. Maybe Toyota took the wrong step in their ad campaigns describing what Hybrid can do and how it actually performs. Because in the end it's not just the "enviromently friendly" it's all about numbers(mpg)too. Toyota did mention that they will concentrate more on on fuel consumption and more mpgs' with the Toyota line up whether it is mated with a hybrid or not. As for the Lexus division they will also find ways to make their engines more fuel frendly but to also give it great competitve performance among its' rivals with the Hybrid Synergy Drive. In the end Toyota/Lexus will dominate,as they are too working on fuel cells and hydrogen research. Bluewater Network does not understand the meaning of patience, b/c this is the begining of everything as to how we drive. Toyota can look at this and laugh, in the end it's a win/win situation and they know where they stand.

Last edited by Bercasio; 10-24-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 06:34 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I think Queen of climate changer works for GM

I'm not defending toyota here, but she's pissed off at toyota b/c the hybrid epa is still low?

How about she pay a visit back to the hummer dealer again or other giant suv's that get realllly poor gas mileage? How about poking at more manufacturers to start making hybrids.

Yeah, like what Bercasio said, what do their employees drive? It better be a razor scooter or a geo metro
$70 to go cross country
Old 10-24-05, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

no wonder it is reported on... DETROIT free press.

haha.

Do they ever even check CAFE records before they start making these stupid accusations?
Old 10-24-05, 07:30 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

I also wonder if a Domestic auto company 1st started the hybrid if they would get the same BS wah-wah!!! from BlueWater Networks, b/c knowing that the domestic companies would not do any better in this technological segment. Ahhh!!!! wait a second!!!!!.......I think I got it fellow CL Members, the husband kicked her out of the house because it was a no brainer that the husband chose his RX400h over her ,it just rides and performs better!!! Cheers to that!!!LoL!!!!!

Last edited by Bercasio; 10-24-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 02:58 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can't everyone get along?

Damn greenies always messing things up

I wonder how many of them don't drive/own a car
I wonder of them how many don't use electricity at their home or their office.

And they're blaming the automotive industry for all the pollution/efficiency? Fair game that cars and the like has caused pollution BUT so do a million of other things, like the production of electricity which is used to power their plantations so they can smoke their stuff Remember, electricity is generated by coal. Coal fumes smell, and the butterflies don't like that

I wouldn't blame the automotive industry (I don't care what company it is) as all AFAIK have improved their environmental awareness (recyclable parts etc). Lucky this has come along, I'm doing an assignment on designer responsibility tonight hahahahah

Jose

Last edited by BLK13X; 10-25-05 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 04:04 PM
440+6
Rookie

Fact is EPA ratings are the worst in the industry they are based on extremely unrealistic driving conditions, realistic for the '70s but not today. EPA hasn't changed its testing conditions in a long time, and EVERY Car Company takes advantage of this by tweaking the cars to get the maximum MPG they can. I can site an example, Hotrod did a shoot out between a new WRX and a new SVT Mustang, just take a guess which one had better fuel economy but still has to pay a gas guzzler tax? (EPA rating for Cobra dosn't really matter since most people arn't buying a V8 Mustang for fuel economy)
Old 10-25-05, 11:04 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What are the EPA ratings/limits over there in the US? I'm sure they'd be much stricter than they are here in Australia.