Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lexus VX 350/460 and JX news (and future news according to Autoweek)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Default Lexus VX 350/460 and JX news (and future news according to Autoweek)

Well, Lexus showed the HPX concept a few years ago, a sport SUV based of the GS. Seems it will be coming but called the VX? 3 rows of seating, think bigger RX.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102996

VX: The VX sport wagon, with three rows of seats, will be the RX's big brother. The VX will be developed on the GS vehicle platform and debut in early 2007 as a 2007 or 2008 model.

The Lexus LF-X concept shows the styling direction for the VX. Power is expected to come from a 4.3-liter V-8, although a 3.5-liter V-6 might also be offered. The VX would line up against the Infiniti FX.
Old 08-22-05, 09:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope the VX 350 will look more like the RX...I like the RX's look, a blend between sporty and smart....I certainly hope the LF-X concept will be reworked, and please avoid a look like the FX!!!

When I read those predictions, I am thrilled for Lexus...the possibilities look huge to me. With the new models coming along, the IS/GS/ES look strong, although the ES is a question mark as we don't know...but the fact that the ES 330 today (an entry-level size and priced car with perhaps one of the most sumptuous and modernly elegant cabins in the world) is largely on par with the LS 400's interior from 1989, a car that is still today a benchmark for luxury and refinement, gives me hope. This is a car company that is going places.

As for the LS 460, I remember that there were allusions to 'the triumph of 1989' when the LS 430 came out; the second gen LS was all about 'keeping it the same' and continuing 1989's winning streak. The LS 430 delivered on the promise of recapturing total market leadership in terms of amenities--the new LS cabin is today the benchmark for design, creature comforts, and all-out luxury--and will be for years to come. But the LS 460 offers a possibility to do what no Lexus has done before, and the current GS has done (somewhat)---inject true passion, style, and sexiness to the ultimate luxury flagship.

I hope to see more hybrids offered...and also wonder if the LX nameplate, which I think works quite well (analogous to LS) shouldn't continue...JX is fine, but LX was great already.

Would there be room for another sedan in Lexus' future lineup? We'll see after the new GS/IS/ES/LS launches, I suspect...but the IS coupe sounds fantastic.

Also, the LF-A...now that is Lexus' chance to go upmarket, along with the LS 460L. To reach into Bentley/Ferrari territory (ok, just slightly). That looks truly tantalizing. Combine Lexus' unmatched cabin luxury, and move it into the topmost realm of cars...
Old 08-22-05, 11:26 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is exciting...i can't wait to see the new SC/JX/VX and everything else
Old 08-23-05, 12:55 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Currently Lexus has four sedans, three SUVs, and one roadster in its lineup. In my opinion most of them are high sales not so high performance models, so what they need is probably something don't sell very well, such as coupe and convertible. Wagon is really not neccessary for Lexus in the U.S., because it doesn't have the crash advantage of the three-box design of the sedan and coupe, but also doesn't have as much cargo space as SUV, so I would say forget about wagon or sports wagon. Lexus could really learn from 3-series, that is, extend the IS into three or four different body styles: sedan, hard-top coupe, and open-top convertible. Probably two hard-top models would be good enough, one in the thirty thousand dollars level, and one in the sixties. The next generation SC should go back to fixed hard-top to cut weight and increase rigidity. I wish the next SC will be a real high-performance car, not just a luxury fat heavy thing. They might even add a Lexus light-weight roadster, to maintain its weight under 3000lbs, to be a real fun car. I hope there will be at least twelve Lexus models in its lineup by 2010.
Old 08-23-05, 08:16 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I bet the JX will look hot!
Old 08-23-05, 11:19 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i'm curious on how the L-finesse design will look like on the SUVs
Old 08-23-05, 11:34 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Sounds cool...let's see how the next gen LX will look.
Old 08-23-05, 11:40 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

FX Competitor?
An X5 with luxury?

Where do I sign? I'll take two please.
Old 08-24-05, 08:49 AM
LexFather

^^^ I am not sure why the fantasy of a useless sporty SUV. I like the Lexus route, 2 real off road SUVs and one car based. There is nothing fun about doing the triple jump in high-heels.

I guess car makers are just trying to get into new segments.
Old 08-24-05, 09:25 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Well, with the addition of the JX, now they're going to have two car-based SUVs (RX, VX) and two "off-road" SUVs (GX, JX).

I put "off-road" in quotes because I doubt that few GX's and JX's see any off-road action in real life.
Old 08-24-05, 09:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Well, with the addition of the JX, now they're going to have two car-based SUVs (RX, VX) and two "off-road" SUVs (GX, JX).

I put "off-road" in quotes because I doubt that few GX's and JX's see any off-road action in real life.
And the FX and X5 don't go to the track, yet they are considered sporty SUVs

Well, I for one, am tired of LEXUS SUVs.
Old 08-24-05, 10:43 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ I am not sure why the fantasy of a useless sporty SUV. I like the Lexus route, 2 real off road SUVs and one car based.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, I for one, am tired of LEXUS SUVs.
Um so you like Lexus SUVs or you don't? Make up your mind!

I think the idea of sporty SUVs isn't as bad as you think. It's simply offering a good compromise between sport and utility (they're Sport Utility Vehicles after all aren't they?). And as long as people are actually buying them it's good for business.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-24-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-05, 01:16 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Who said FX's and X5's don't autocross?
Old 08-24-05, 01:32 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I think this sporty SUV thing is a good idea. If I go back to Landrover again I would get that Range Rover Sport. I'd get into one of those before I buy the MK3 Rover. Come to think of it, I miss my Strange Rover (and all of it's quirks).
Old 08-24-05, 01:42 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sporty SUV sounds like a great idea to me. My girl friend is seriously considering trading her 2002 LS430 for a Range Rover Sport. I usually don't care for European brands. But I think the RR Sport looks hot. As for myself, I prefer to stick with Lexus. I can't wait to see the VX. I hope Lexus creates something better looking and more practical than the FX.

Quick Reply: Lexus VX 350/460 and JX news (and future news according to Autoweek)