Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

Lexus GS adaptive variable suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 06:27 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lexus GS adaptive variable suspension

How much do you guys know about AVS? I feel like something is wrong with my AVS, but I could be wrong.

I had aftermarket coilovers installed for a year. After I replaced them with OEM shocks, my car when parked, feels extremly stiff. I can't push the car down, even with a friend, all 4 corners are rock solid. Yet it drives and feels ok.

When connected to techstream, it shows that the dampening on each shock is set to max 17. Changing from Normal to Sport+ does nothing. I could be wrong, but maybe it's due to the fact that the car is not in motion? The dampening is only adjusted when car is moving?

We tested each AVS motor individually in techstream. The software sees all 4 motors, I can also adjust the dampening of each shock manually by the setting the damper of let say rear left to 5, then I can easy push the car down. But as soon as I leave the screen, the car sets it back to 17.

Please let me know if it is normal ?

Thanks
Old 03-12-15, 10:29 AM
LexCareSC
Lexus Customer Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We apologize, we would not be able to answer a question as technical as this. We would ask that you consult with a local mechanic or Lexus dealer to discuss the suspension concerns you are experiencing. In addition, once the vehicle has been modified, it is very difficult for us to speak about what could have occurred after it was modified. This is because our vehicles are not tested with any aftermarket parts.
Old 03-12-15, 01:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
How much do you guys know about AVS? I feel like something is wrong with my AVS, but I could be wrong.

I had aftermarket coilovers installed for a year. After I replaced them with OEM shocks, my car when parked, feels extremly stiff. I can't push the car down, even with a friend, all 4 corners are rock solid. Yet it drives and feels ok.

When connected to techstream, it shows that the dampening on each shock is set to max 17. Changing from Normal to Sport+ does nothing. I could be wrong, but maybe it's due to the fact that the car is not in motion? The dampening is only adjusted when car is moving?

We tested each AVS motor individually in techstream. The software sees all 4 motors, I can also adjust the dampening of each shock manually by the setting the damper of let say rear left to 5, then I can easy push the car down. But as soon as I leave the screen, the car sets it back to 17.

Please let me know if it is normal ?

Thanks
You have Techstream but you don't have access to TIS to check the diagnostic codes and determine if there is a fault or failure in the system? Everything in this system is managed by checking DTCs. If there are none, it would seem to be functioning normally.

If the following DTCs are set, then it might explain your issue:

C1781 Absorber control ECU
C1789 Vehicle identification malfunction
U0122 CAN communication system

Buy a subscription to TIS (https://techinfo.toyota.com) even it it's just for a day. You'll find everything you need to know about your AVS there.
Old 03-12-15, 10:02 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not bring it to Lexus to diagnose further and explain why the car is so stiff and sits so high.