Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

Traction control operating for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 02:24 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Traction control operating for no reason

Hi,

A really random event happened earlier and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. Basically I was accelerating out of my mates road and the skid light come on, the car locked up on the rear and I had clicking and buzzing noises all over the place.

I now have my engine management light on. I'm getting clicking from the rear which I think may be loose pads clicking as it goes away when I brake.

When I put my foot down to drive through the issue the car locked up and didn't want to know, loss of power and the sounds of a million clicks and beeps from the dash. I turned it off, left her 5 mins then started it up and drove into town.

I know that none of the VCS, ABS lights came on and that is the odd part for me, because one of those should have popped up to say hello when my car went nuts?!

Update....

....upon driving home the following happened.....

With traction control on and at any speed, the master cylinder makes a tapping sound, there's buzzing and clicking from the dash and the loss of traction light pops up on the dash.

If I turn traction control off I get no issues at all.

What sensors on the car decide if the car itself is losing traction? Like I said, I'm not getting any other lights apart from the engine management light, but that could be because of another issue. I'll get that checked tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 03-04-15, 02:26 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Traction control operating for no reason

Hi,

I just sent a question through but I did not mention what car it was for. It's a 2002 Lexus GS430, UK spec vehicle.

Thanks
Old 03-05-15, 09:34 AM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello RichS11, we would love to assist however we can only answer questions surrounding US Spec vehicles. We recommend you contact Lexus UK here: http://www.lexus.co.uk/ as they would be in the best position to assist
Old 03-05-15, 12:16 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS11
Hi,

A really random event happened earlier and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. Basically I was accelerating out of my mates road and the skid light come on, the car locked up on the rear and I had clicking and buzzing noises all over the place.

I now have my engine management light on. I'm getting clicking from the rear which I think may be loose pads clicking as it goes away when I brake.

When I put my foot down to drive through the issue the car locked up and didn't want to know, loss of power and the sounds of a million clicks and beeps from the dash. I turned it off, left her 5 mins then started it up and drove into town.

I know that none of the VCS, ABS lights came on and that is the odd part for me, because one of those should have popped up to say hello when my car went nuts?!

Update....

....upon driving home the following happened.....

With traction control on and at any speed, the master cylinder makes a tapping sound, there's buzzing and clicking from the dash and the loss of traction light pops up on the dash.

If I turn traction control off I get no issues at all.

What sensors on the car decide if the car itself is losing traction? Like I said, I'm not getting any other lights apart from the engine management light, but that could be because of another issue. I'll get that checked tomorrow.

Thanks
I'm not a Lexus rep but from my understanding, whenever one or more wheel/tire is "on the air" spinning at a different speed than all other wheels/tires, the vehicle stability control (VSC) and traction control system will kick in. When it kicks in, just like you described, it will brake and lock up all wheels/tires automatically without you stepping on the brake. At the same time, it cuts off all power to prevent any further acceleration.

I know and experienced the above because when I autocross/track (racing legally) with traction control on, I get the above. When I turn traction control off, there will be absolutely no computer interference. I can fish tail and drift the car or even spin it anyway I want it to.

Anyways, I think the traction control sensor in one of your wheels is malfunctioning so please take it to local dealership for diagnose.