Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson painful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 02:04 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mark Levinson painful?

Got my 2019 ES F-Sport with Mark Levinson. I've noticed that when I turn the volume up loud enough to enjoy (around 30-35) it causes ear pain and headache. The feeling is like when you put your ear directly up to a speaker. However, putting the volume at 25 or so is not loud enough to enjoy. As I type this I understand it may not make sense, but I'm pretty experienced with car stereo. In my last Acura TL with ELS audio I could blare the volume at max with no problems. Anyone else have this issue with Mark Levinson?
Old 12-30-18, 01:17 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321
Got my 2019 ES F-Sport with Mark Levinson. I've noticed that when I turn the volume up loud enough to enjoy (around 30-35) it causes ear pain and headache. The feeling is like when you put your ear directly up to a speaker. However, putting the volume at 25 or so is not loud enough to enjoy. As I type this I understand it may not make sense, but I'm pretty experienced with car stereo. In my last Acura TL with ELS audio I could blare the volume at max with no problems. Anyone else have this issue with Mark Levinson?
Yes! Same thing happens to me in a 2013 GS350 with ML sound. I bought the car recently and had previously been driving a Camry with upgraded JBL sound which was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but better than average. I was expecting the ML sound in my new-to-me Lexus to be a major step up but after a couple minutes I get a headache. There is a harsh high frequency that bores into my head when the volume is less than where I would have had it in the Camry. It's like the high frequencies are driven at a lot more power than the mids and lows or something or the speakers or some component is blown or defective. I don't know what it is and short of taking it to a high end car audio shop to see what they think of it or if they even find a problem I don't know what to do.

If not for what a great driving car it is along with the fabulous seats I would be seriously depressed about it. This and along with the really dumb infotainment system have really put a damper on my enjoyment of this car.

I posted about this a month or two ago and only got one response. Apparently there are some other threads about the ML system and how to make it sound better by adjusting the fade and bass/mid/treble adjustment (which is abysmal for such a premium sound system). They way I've got it mostly acceptable is to turn the treble all the way down, the mids almost all the way down and the bass in the middle while moving the fade a couple ticks to the rear but it is far from where I would want it.
Old 01-08-19, 03:59 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I put the ELS system in my 2010 Acura TL above the Bang & Olufsen that was in my 2014 Audi S5. I agree...you could blast that system with zero distortion and it had great balance of bass, mid and treble. I’m sure the B&O was more balanced and it probably was more accurate in reproducing classical music but as the volume went up the bass dropped off a cliff and mid and high frequencies jumped up in a non-linear way. I felt B&O could’ve done better for $5K.

I have since driven many different brands with their “premium” stereos and that ELS system is still the best I’ve heard.

Last edited by PWMDMD; 01-08-19 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 06:45 AM
nateboussa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Les heureux proprietaires de ML le sont tellement, qu'ils peferent se faire cajoler les tympans par leur materiel fetiche que de ce crever les yeux sur un ecran d'ordi
ML je connais bien,j'en ai possedé pas mal , mon systeme perso les utilise , j'en vends (exclusivement en occase) et croyez moi, les modeles phares sont extrement recherchés et conservent des valeurs commerciales élevées. Mais il est vrai que dans les forums et notament celui-ci tous les posts sur cette marque n'ont pas depassé les 3 pages
Il faut aussi reconnaitre que depuis que ML fait parti du groupe Harman les produits de dernieres generations 'sappuient plus sur l'image de marques que sur de reelles avancées techniques et musicales

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Last edited by nateboussa; 02-02-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 07:43 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nateboussa
Les heureux proprietaires de ML le sont tellement, qu'ils peferent se faire cajoler les tympans par leur materiel fetiche que de ce crever les yeux sur un ecran d'ordi
ML je connais bien,j'en ai possedé pas mal , mon systeme perso les utilise , j'en vends (exclusivement en occase) et croyez moi, les modeles phares sont extrement recherchés et conservent des valeurs commerciales élevées. Mais il est vrai que dans les forums et notament celui-ci tous les posts sur cette marque n'ont pas depassé les 3 pages
Il faut aussi reconnaitre que depuis que ML fait parti du groupe Harman les produits de dernieres generations 'sappuient plus sur l'image de marques que sur de reelles avancées techniques et musicales

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher
Speaking of painful, that was my experience trying to have the lady of the house translate your French.

And yes, the ML system can be quite painful, just ask any ISF owner...
Old 04-29-19, 10:33 AM
Nina265
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually, ML sounds great. I am surprised that you guys saying it's painful!

dafont192.168.1.1filehippo

Last edited by Nina265; 04-30-19 at 12:49 PM.