DIY: Side-Mirror integrated Blind Spot Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 11:43 PM
Belarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: Side-Mirror integrated Blind Spot Monitor

Hello!

Today I'm going to introduce another project I'm working on. One of the things that the CT200h left me wanting for was an integrated Blind Spot Monitor, like you might find on the GS350.

So, I'm going to integrate an aftermarket solution into factory side mirrors! As it turns out, the GS350 Side Mirrors happen to fit the CT200h side mirrors perfectly, so I purchased a set of GS350 side mirrors to replace them.

As for the Blind Spot Monitor part of the system, Goshers makes a radar based solution that SHOULD work as good as factory. (Radar Blind Spot Detection System #BSDS-RD1108 - GOSHERS)

It's a pretty simple system wherein two sensors are mounted on the inside of the rear bumper and just requires a cable run to the dash and power, as well as running wires up the door panels.

More to come soon!
Old 05-17-17, 10:40 PM
Belarr
Driver School Candidate

05/13/2017
Today I installed the Blind Spot Monitoring system and the GS350 mirrors! It was pretty straightforward to get the mirrors installed because I was able to splice them directly into the aftermarket BSD system.

I removed the side mirror assembly and the door panel to run wires and get as clean a wiring job as possible.

I then ran a new wire up through the grommet in the side mirror and soldered new connectors onto the GS350 mirror.

One more test before I install them!

I installed the mirrors and routed the wire down the door and through the door grommet, into the dash.

The BSD radar sensors need to be mounted at a 20 - 35 degree angle out from the rear of the bumper, so I marked the bumper before removing it. I then removed the bumper to install the sensors, which are held on with 3M tape.

Conveniently there is a grommet under the right tail light to run wires to the trunk, There was also one wire harness I had to run from the rear of the car and up to the dash, so I removed almost all the trim in the trunk and routed the wire through the passenger side door sills and up into the dash.

It's all installed and works great, but I haven't had the time to make a video yet, but I'll post one soon!

Last edited by Belarr; 05-17-17 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 01:59 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Excellent job! Looking forward to the vid.
Old 07-12-17, 04:49 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool! Thank you for sharing all the pictures!
Old 07-12-17, 05:06 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

this is cool, I was trying to figure out how to integrate BSM in my 1939 Ford Tudor, subscribing to this thread for when I get to that point on my build.
Old 07-17-17, 08:50 AM
MotoCARR
Driver School Candidate

Clean install!
Old 06-09-19, 07:14 PM
saad1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by Belarr
Today I installed the Blind Spot Monitoring system and the GS350 mirrors! It was pretty straightforward to get the mirrors installed because I was able to splice them directly into the aftermarket BSD system.

I removed the side mirror assembly and the door panel to run wires and get as clean a wiring job as possible.

I then ran a new wire up through the grommet in the side mirror and soldered new connectors onto the GS350 mirror.

One more test before I install them!

I installed the mirrors and routed the wire down the door and through the door grommet, into the dash.

The BSD radar sensors need to be mounted at a 20 - 35 degree angle out from the rear of the bumper, so I marked the bumper before removing it. I then removed the bumper to install the sensors, which are held on with 3M tape.

Conveniently there is a grommet under the right tail light to run wires to the trunk, There was also one wire harness I had to run from the rear of the car and up to the dash, so I removed almost all the trim in the trunk and routed the wire through the passenger side door sills and up into the dash.

It's all installed and works great, but I haven't had the time to make a video yet, but I'll post one soon!
I recently bought 2008 GS 350. My car doesn't have Parking Assist and I am interested in installing parking Assist sensors, radar cruise control along with Blind spot in my mirrors. Any advice and guidance on steps, parts and cost will help. I saw your post and I am a bit confused as I didn't see you change the mirror glass.