Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 03:23 PM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

Anyone know if the Levinson radio has an auxillary input that could be used for satellite radio? I'd certainly rather hardwire the receiver directly rather than use an FM modulator. My Lexus dealer wasn't much help.
Old 05-15-03, 03:40 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Default Re: Satellite Radio

Originally posted by dsimo
Anyone know if the Levinson radio has an auxillary input that could be used for satellite radio? I'd certainly rather hardwire the receiver directly rather than use an FM modulator. My Lexus dealer wasn't much help.
Don't think so. None of the OEM adapter guys (PIE, Blitzsafe) carry stuff for our model Lexus. I have my Alpine XM unit run through an FM modulator and it sounds very good--- not CD quality but much better than standard FM.
Old 05-16-03, 08:44 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard of someone usinig the cassette as the aux but not sure how that would work... I think it makes your cassette player useless...
Old 05-16-03, 03:43 PM
dsimo
Driver

Thanks for the replies. It was actually your photo in the gallery, Robbo, that got my interest. Great installation!

Delphi sells a car adapter kit that works with the cassette player, but then you've got this cassette tethered with a wire to deal with. I think the adaptability of the Delphi unit is great (car, home, portable), but it's a rather large receiver when compared with the Alpine and Pioneer receivers, which appear to fit out-of-sight within the ashtray area.

Lexus provided this helpful insight, "Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding your 2002 SC 430. We do not recommend the use of after-market parts in our Lexus vehicles because we have not tested them and do not have comprehensive information on how they may affect the operation of your vehicle." Gee, thanks.

By the way, one installer suggested putting the antenna on top of the dash. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-16-03, 07:11 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Why not put the antenna on the rear deck? Just installed my Sirius system and it works great on the rear deck. Best of all it doesn't look out of place.
Old 05-17-03, 11:25 AM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phu,

If you get a chance to post some pics, it would be greratly appreciated.

Thanks

TjZ
Old 05-18-03, 07:35 AM
Robbo
Rookie

Originally posted by dsimo
By the way, one installer suggested putting the antenna on top of the dash. Any thoughts on this?
The problem is that the sat signal will not go through metal. A dash antenna will work great if you only drive with the top down or if you are in an area with terestrial repeaters (major city) so the signal is coming in via radio waves, rather than sat. If you can only get a sat signal, a dash placement will tend to have dropouts if you are driving north (and the signal gets blocked by the car's roof).
Old 05-19-03, 07:24 AM
dsimo
Driver

Phu,

I'm curious to know how you wired the antenna on the rear deck. I figured the wiring would get in the way.
Old 05-19-03, 06:11 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I mounted the antenna on the rear deck using double-sided sticky tape then ran the antenna wires between the rear seats and the rear decks. The antenna wires are quite thin so you can use a flat object ( I used a small wrench) to push the wires into the crevices between the rear seats and rear panels. I will post pictures shortly.
Old 05-19-03, 09:52 PM
MLSC430
Driver

whats the obsesion with satellite radios..?? are they that good...?? i guess i don't find it very apealing since i only listen to CDs or watch TV or DVD..... but i guess i will look into it and see.....
Old 05-20-03, 11:01 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

I love being able to drive 300+ miles and NOT have to worry about loosing a radio station for one thing! I love not having to worry about running out of things to listen to because I only have 6 CDs at a time I can have in my cd player. I used to listen to regular radio and almost never do now because why bother when I have commercial free Sirius instead

I guess if you are one of those RARE people who NEVER listen to regular radio, then it wouldn't be as big a deal to you..

But if you like lots of variety of music, talk radio and news stations without commercials, you'd love Sirius
Old 05-20-03, 05:36 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Phu,

Please post pictures as soon as you can!!! Thanks

Doc C
Old 05-20-03, 10:30 PM
Phu
Pole Position

The antenna is mounted on the rear deck using double-sided sticky tape.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-backview.jpg  
Old 05-20-03, 10:32 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Just take off the rubber piece in the center of the wind deflector and it is a perfect fit to run the rubber part of the antenna wire through. The rest of the antenna wires are just two very thin wires.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-glass.jpg  
Old 05-20-03, 10:38 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I ran the antenna wires between the crevices of the rear seats and side panels. The wires also run under the door sills and into the glove box. I installed the modulator in the glove box. Since I didn't to cut the ashtray assembly I also mounted the control module on top of the modulator with some velcro. I tapped into the cigarette lighter power supply for the "switched power source", but had to run a wire directly to the battery for the "constant" power wire.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-glove.jpg  

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio