Sponsored by:

Quick Question on Updating Nav--Gen 2/3 with East and West Disks

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 06:46 PM
Plainhaven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question on Updating Nav--Gen 2/3 with East and West Disks

Good evening! Quick question for you (hoping someone can help) re: updating Nav in 2004 RX 330 (Gen 2/3 Nav).

I understand the procedure conceptually and have the update disks (one East, one West) but before I start was curious (since the disks didn't come with instructions) as to the use of the two disks. I'm guessing there will be a single disk in the NAV DVD drive (I haven't updated since I bought it in 2004) so after ejecting the old disk, will putting in one of the two current disks (East or West) then cause the system to prompt me for the second disk?

Thanks for any advice; I really appreciate it!

Take care.

Larry

EDIT: Okay, from what I understand, I would only be able to use one disk at a time, and I would just have in the disk that was needed. If driving "off the map" available on that disk, I'm thinking I would just see white screen until I switched out the disks. Can anyone verify that this is the case?

Last edited by Plainhaven; 05-31-16 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 09:56 AM
Plainhaven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this in hopes of a response from others.

I bought two upgrade disks from a seemingly (based on feedback) dealer and they are the appropriate ones for my vehicle (a Gen 2/3). When putting the first disk in, it seemed to update (I checked a road change and the new road was accurately reflected) but then the system basically kept locking up.

Each time I'd hit "I agree" to have the NAV system start, after about 5 seconds it would give me a "Unable to read disk" "Check to see if disk is damaged or dirty" message (but it would flash on and off VERY quickly).

With fingers crossed, I put the old (2004) NAV disk in and the system actually worked (with the old maps). From what I've read, I was lucky in that sometimes you cannot go back to the old system.

Can any of you gurus shine some light on this? It seemed to upgrade to the new system as the map was new. I definitely do NOT want to try updating it again and then maybe be unable to go back to the old system. I've searched the forums and this seems to sometimes be related to old DVD/lens assemblies but again, any experience you could share would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Larry