Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Driver Support Package and Radar Detectors

Old 01-01-15, 09:58 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driver Support Package and Radar Detectors

I recently got a 2015 GX-460 that has the Driver Support Package. I want to mount a radar detector from the mirror. In the past, I used a Blend Mount which attached to the mirror post, and it has worked perfectly.

I went to hook up the Blend Mount, and saw that the Driver Support package not only has the rain sensor, but the radar assembly for the Driver Support Package (LDA< etc.). There is a wire harness that goes from the mirror to the Support Package Radar Assembly. There is no slack in the assembly, and it right in the way of where the Blend Mount needs to go.

1) Has anyone with a Driver Support Package found a way to mount a radar detector to the mirror?

2) Do you have any other radar sector mounting suggestions? I know there are engine bay solutions, but I have a very nice Passport 9500i, so I don't want to start from scratch, if possible.
Old 01-03-15, 04:23 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd chk a custom audio shop they may be able to help.. or maybe try an old school suction cup mount until a more permanent solution presents itself..
Old 01-03-15, 06:26 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shibumi,

I checked all the shops in town. No one had any ideas. I checked with a buddy, and he had some ideas, but none seemed just right. He suggested we go to a friend of his that has a hobby shop (remote cars and drones, etc.). He friend suggest that we dremel the blend mount, just enough to allow the 1 taught wire to remain in place when the blend mount is installed.

We got back to my place, and my buddy suggested that I measure the wire harness that was in the way with calipers, then cut the needed amount off of the blend mount. It looked the cut would be minor, and no functionality would be lost, so I finally had a plan.

SO I measure the taught harness, and write down the height and width of the harness. I measured the space that the blend mount would allow for the cable under the mirror post. They were the same. The measurements said the cable would just barely fit. When you eyeball the cable and the small space in the blend mount bracket, you'd think it would never fit, but the calipers said it would.

So I fished blend mount hardware inside (between the harness and mirror mount) the wire harness that had a little slack, and locked the blend mount down over the mirror post, with the taught harness directly below in a small gap that the blend mount had.

I tightened everything down, then tested the radar detector, mirror power, rain sensor, and LDA module. They all see to work as usual.

I got power from the Rain Sensor using a mirror tap. The Blend Mount and a Mirror Tap combo provide a great looking installation that does need you to run cable down your windshield pillar.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but I finished right before dark.
Attached Thumbnails Driver Support Package and Radar Detectors-fullsizerender-6.jpg   Driver Support Package and Radar Detectors-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 01-15-15, 04:16 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad u got it sorted out.....