Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Radio Issues

Old 09-25-14, 09:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Radio Issues

My stock radio in my GS430 has always had some display issues where it will put up all kinds of random symbols intermittently where it should be displaying station and other info ever since I had the car. It never bothered me too much because everything still worked, the only other issues with the radio is the volume/power k n o b does not work on the radio so I can't turn it off or adjust the volume but the steering wheel control works. As long as the radio/CD player worked I was not going to spend a bunch of money replacing it or fixing it but I was curious about a few things so I figured I ask a few questions

Anyone had their radio do this with the throwing up a bunch of different numbers, letters, symbols on the display and power/volume stop working?

Will the glovebox 6 CD changer work with a aftermarket head unit?

I am a little interested in getting a head unit, either single or double din unit with a screen DVD/USB videoplayer, mostly for the gf when going on trips. I don't like the larger double din units especially with the motorized face because everyone I have known who has one has issues with the motorized face eventually plus they are a big target with thieves. I saw a single DIN model installed in a GS with a small screen with a DVD/USB player from BOSS Audio(I know it is a cheap Chinese brand like Dual) but I liked the way it looked and considering all the problems I have seen with motorized double din units from better known expensive brands I was half way considering getting one just in case my radio goes as a quick replacement(they are dirt cheap at around $100.

Are there any decent single DIN head units with a screen from decent brands that play video/DVD/USB that I can install in my GS without much difficulty, will the glove box CD player still work? Any non motorized screen double din units that are recommended, I don't want to spend much especially if I lose the function of the CD changer.