Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Change your own Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) with Carista app for Android

Old 05-30-14, 10:19 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 sc430

Would like to throw my hat in the ring the get the SC430s added... especially the '06s

-Dan
Old 06-02-14, 06:17 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, noted. I'll keep you guys updated. I'm pretty sure that once we build compatibility with this older protocol that Toyota/Lexus used before CAN-BUS, we'll automatically cover most or all models from the last 10-20 years.
Old 06-04-14, 11:53 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elm327 and Toyota's tool

Hi !

So can we use any elm327 compatible device?

Does it read all the computers on the car? (I don't know how many computers are on the car , I'm only reading through the threads bit )

Also, is there any additional functionality in the official Toyota tool that is not available by way of standard odb and this app? From what most threads are saying, the special tool is required for some actions & diagnostics.

Thank you!

Edit: for 2010 Rx 350 fwd no nav

Edit: I found your page with reference to elm327 v 1.2 or above, thanks

Last edited by msat; 06-05-14 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 06:23 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by msat
Hi !

So can we use any elm327 compatible device?

Does it read all the computers on the car? (I don't know how many computers are on the car , I'm only reading through the threads bit )

Also, is there any additional functionality in the official Toyota tool that is not available by way of standard odb and this app? From what most threads are saying, the special tool is required for some actions & diagnostics.

Thank you!

Edit: for 2010 Rx 350 fwd no nav

Edit: I found your page with reference to elm327 v 1.2 or above, thanks
Any ELM327 device should work, as long as it is a minimum of v1.2 for generic OBD2 diagnostics or a minimum of v1.4 for the Lexus-specific functionality, as you've seen on our hardware page. The Lexus-specific functionality includes diagnosing all computers/ECUs in the car (not just OBD2 ECUs), as well as changing customization settings (LPS). Those 2 things are not available through the standard OBD2 protocol that other apps/tools use. And finally, yes, there is additional functionality in the official Toyota tool (Techstream) that's not available in Carista or any OBD2 tool: namely, access to Toyota/Lexus-specific real-time data from the engine and other ECUs, some tools like TPMS display/programming, as well as slightly more customization settings. Carista covers most settings and we're working on adding the rest. We are also working on adding TPMS display and programming. We don't plan to display real-time engine data in the near future.
Old 06-05-14, 06:57 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my Mini-OBD2 ELM 327 device (v1.5). Configured and working and can scan my car for faults (2005 Lexus RX330). I knew it wouldn't work, but tried the app to see whether it would access any settings and got the message not supported .
Old 06-05-14, 04:38 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carista
Any ELM327 device should work, as long as it is a minimum of v1.2 for generic OBD2 diagnostics or a minimum of v1.4 for the Lexus-specific functionality, as you've seen on our hardware page. The Lexus-specific functionality includes diagnosing all computers/ECUs in the car (not just OBD2 ECUs), as well as changing customization settings (LPS). Those 2 things are not available through the standard OBD2 protocol that other apps/tools use. And finally, yes, there is additional functionality in the official Toyota tool (Techstream) that's not available in Carista or any OBD2 tool: namely, access to Toyota/Lexus-specific real-time data from the engine and other ECUs, some tools like TPMS display/programming, as well as slightly more customization settings. Carista covers most settings and we're working on adding the rest. We are also working on adding TPMS display and programming. We don't plan to display real-time engine data in the near future.
Thanks for your note! I'll be sure to buy at least a v1.4 ELM327 device.

Okay, so caristaapp is limited to the OBD2 ECU, no other computers can be monitored. But the Techstream tool can read other computers. Do you know what other computers the Techstream can read that are not available with caristaapp? From what you wrote, it looks like if I were to replace the TPMS, caristaapp won't be sufficient and I'll need Techstream. Anything else? (I'm not throwing down on you guys, I would just like to know what I'm getting into here... )

Originally Posted by draco
Just got my Mini-OBD2 ELM 327 device (v1.5). Configured and working and can scan my car for faults (2005 Lexus RX330). I knew it wouldn't work, but tried the app to see whether it would access any settings and got the message not supported .
Kind of curious, caristaapp identifies only 3rd gen, but what changed between 2nd and 3rd that makes it not work? Do you happen to know?
Old 06-05-14, 04:46 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... okay, yes, I'm new at this and all, but I cannot find a V1.5 specification.

Am I missing something?

Here's a reference to the ELM327

http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html#ELM327
Old 06-05-14, 10:43 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Okay, so caristaapp is limited to the OBD2 ECU, no other computers can be monitored.
That's incorrect. Carista DOES indeed communicate with all Toyota/Lexus ECUs and run diagnostics on them or change settings on them. Please re-read my previous comment.

From what you wrote, it looks like if I were to replace the TPMS, caristaapp won't be sufficient and I'll need Techstream. Anything else? (I'm not throwing down on you guys, I would just like to know what I'm getting into here... )
Correct, the current version of Carista will not be able to help you reprogram the TPMS. But hopefully one of our near-future versions will. In terms of anything else, I can't think of anything now, but I also haven't played with Techstream too much. Also keep in mind that Techstream runs on a computer and with a physical cable, so it's less convenient (especially since it's difficult to make it run on a 64-bit version of Windows, so people try to find/buy an old laptop specifically for it).

Kind of curious, caristaapp identifies only 3rd gen, but what changed between 2nd and 3rd that makes it not work? Do you happen to know?
Yes, the difference is that the electronic communication protocol switched from the older ISO-9141 to the newer CAN-BUS protocol. Carista only supports CAN-BUS for these advanced features for now. We're working on adding support for the older one as well.

Hmm... okay, yes, I'm new at this and all, but I cannot find a V1.5 specification.

Am I missing something?

Here's a reference to the ELM327

http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html#ELM327
You are correct, there's no official v1.5. That version has been "made up" by the Chinese clone manufacturers. If you get a "v1.5", it is effectively a v1.4. But for all practical purposes, it should work with Carista. The v1.4 devices out there are also clones, so there's no particular reason to get one version vs. the other. Just make sure it's not lower than 1.4. For example, the OBDLink devices will not work, since they use v1.3a.
Old 06-06-14, 11:29 AM
freal
Driver

cant wait for 2IS version!
Old 06-08-14, 09:04 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Just a quick heads-up: our introductory (low) pricing is about to expire next week when we release version 2.1 of the app. You can still get the intro pricing if you buy the Pro Package within the next few days. More details here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...e-you-can.html
Old 06-08-14, 12:47 PM
editordz
Rookie

Do you guys have a timeframe for the older model support? Would it make sense for me to purchase it now for my 2006 SC430, or is support still uncertain or too far off?

Just a quick heads-up: our introductory (low) pricing is about to expire next week when we release version 2.1 of the app. You can still get the intro pricing if you buy the Pro Package within the next few days. More details here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...e-you-can.html
Old 06-08-14, 01:35 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by editordz
Do you guys have a timeframe for the older model support? Would it make sense for me to purchase it now for my 2006 SC430, or is support still uncertain or too far off?
Well, actually, you can't buy it now because the app doesn't even offer the "Pro Package" unless it detects that you're connected to a compatible car So, that makes your decision easy.

Support is still uncertain, but highly likely. I don't wanna make promises, though, before I know for sure that it's doable. Now that we're pretty much done with version 2.1, we're going to start working on this support for the older protocol. I should have a lot more info in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-08-14, 02:31 PM
editordz
Rookie

No worries, I'll happily pay full price when you get it working. Thanks all your effort on supporting our older babies!
Old 06-08-14, 04:33 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, actually, you can't buy it now because the app doesn't even offer the "Pro Package" unless it detects that you're connected to a compatible car So, that makes your decision easy.

Support is still uncertain, but highly likely. I don't wanna make promises, though, before I know for sure that it's doable. Now that we're pretty much done with version 2.1, we're going to start working on this support for the older protocol. I should have a lot more info in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys updated.
Fingers crossed. Happy to just buy the app if and when my car is supported. Sure will miss out on the special price, but so be it.
Old 06-08-14, 06:50 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by editordz
No worries, I'll happily pay full price when you get it working. Thanks all your effort on supporting our older babies!
Fingers crossed. Happy to just buy the app if and when my car is supported. Sure will miss out on the special price, but so be it.
Ditto! I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change your own Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) with Carista app for Android