Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Best Component Speakers? Audison? Hertz?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 11:36 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
isn't MB quartz stock speakers for BMW or MB cars...I'm looking for TOP OF THE LINE component speakers to replace the stock speakers. I'm willing to spend TOP Dollar. AUDIOPHILES, no recommendations!?
Dynaudio. Bar none. I've had a/d/s/, MBQ, BA, Alpine, etc etc. They all paled when compared to Dyn for the audio accuracy. Even Morel speakers won't come close.

If you want THE top end for audio accuracy, Dynaudio ESOTAR 2 series. I use these at home for audio monitoring w/ Sound Devices equipment. If you're also willing to go all out insane on custom crossovers, look into Duelund components. Fantastic stuff. Expect to pay about a grand for ONE Duelund Cast capacitor. Their resistors are quite a bit more affordable and make a huge difference in transparency, etc.

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/car_hifi/esotar.php

http://www.duelundaudio.com/CAST_Capacitor.asp

http://www.duelundaudio.com/Resistors.asp

Last edited by Percy; 04-19-14 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 08:04 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
Dynaudio. Bar none. I've had a/d/s/, MBQ, BA, Alpine, etc etc. They all paled when compared to Dyn for the audio accuracy. Even Morel speakers won't come close.

If you want THE top end for audio accuracy, Dynaudio ESOTAR 2 series. I use these at home for audio monitoring w/ Sound Devices equipment. If you're also willing to go all out insane on custom crossovers, look into Duelund components. Fantastic stuff. Expect to pay about a grand for ONE Duelund Cast capacitor. Their resistors are quite a bit more affordable and make a huge difference in transparency, etc.

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/car_hifi/esotar.php

http://www.duelundaudio.com/CAST_Capacitor.asp

http://www.duelundaudio.com/Resistors.asp
Don't mind my misinformed statement from early on in this thread. Before I started this thread, I didn't know how complex the car audio game was/is. I didn't realize what top dollar really was. After so much spent, I'm still nowhere close to it! Says so much about car audio...amazing really

Last edited by Lex Luga; 04-20-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 07:45 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lex Luga,

No worries. You should have seen the car audio industry back in the mid 1990s to early 2000s. Just insane at the selection and no less than 5 audio mags, both U.S. based and Brit, writing lots of articles and reviews. Certainly it's peak back then.

Sad thing is that McIntosh is no longer in the game for car audio amps. A shame. At least Dyn is still in the speaker market.
Old 05-06-14, 06:44 PM
aporozco
Driver

Lex Luga:
How did you like that Audison 5.1k amp for the short period of time you had it? I'm thinking of picking it up.

Glad you're alive, sorry to hear about your car.
Old 05-09-14, 08:14 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aporozco
Lex Luga:
How did you like that Audison 5.1k amp for the short period of time you had it? I'm thinking of picking it up.

Glad you're alive, sorry to hear about your car.
First of all thank you. Secondly, the Audison Av 5.1K amp paired with the Audison Voce AV K6 components were extremely clean sounding. Highs were clear and bright and mid bass was very good. Instruments were extremely clear and sounded like they were being played live in the car. Vocals sounded like the singer was in the car with me, singing from the dashboard lol. This may be more about the components than the amp lol. But the Amp provided nice stable power, never any disruptions, cut outs, etc, and it sounded all very clean.
Old 06-13-14, 10:37 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Hi guys, quick update. Some of you that are active on the 3GS forum know that unfortunately early last month I was rear ended at very high speed and my car was totaled. I was able to retrieve my whole sound system set up minus one pair of components and tweeters.

Earlier this week I purchased a 03 honda accord Coupe. 80k miles, Mint condition and everything stock. I bought this so I could learn to drive manual transmission and also to replace my rusted up 98 camry daily driver with 279k miles (it's still running strong). This will hold me off until I decide the time is right to buy a newer, fast, weekend sports car.

I would like to put my old sound system from my 3GS into my accord. But I have some questions.

(PS I put this same thread up on the diymobileaudio.com forum as well, but I know CL is very active and I always get prompt responses)

#1 What head unit could I integrate into my center console. I'm looking for great digital sound and great SQ. I have an Ipod touch with all my music, 4th generation i believe? It has the original ipod dock/connection and it has the screen set up like an Iphone to give you guys an idea. So i would like a physical cable or usb port so I could connect and charge my Ipod. Lastly, if possible I would like Bluetooth Streaming, so I could stream music directly from apps like Soundcloud, Pandora, Youtube, etc from my Android phone.

#2 Would a JLw7 be overkill for this car. The 3GS was Big Body and the sound set up sounded amazing. The audio shop tuned everything great and the sub was just right.

#3 If the sub is overkill, What sub would give me good SPL and match the watt output of the Audison AV 5.1K amplifier?

Last edited by Lex Luga; 06-13-14 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-13-14, 11:25 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Head Unit: Pioneer 80PRS or Alpine HD149BT

No sub is ever an overkill for any car, there is a member on DIYMobileAudio with 2 12" Illusion Audio C12 XL in his Smart Car!
Old 06-13-14, 11:56 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I knew you "that boy" would answer me! lol thanks. Ok so I guess I'll keep the JLw7 then...if it still works, haven't actually tested it since the accident, but the car shop looked at it real quick and they said it looks good....we will see. More money down the drain real soon since I'm itching for good sound! Not to mention no music besides radio since I don't burn CD's anymore, not since 2006? lol
Old 06-13-14, 03:58 PM
shahir18
Instructor

lol, I am an audio enthusiast

I recently picked up the Pioneer 80prs to add to my collection of Head Units. I still burn audio cd's just because it's the pure quality you get - mostly for adjusting and testing. Other then that, I use my trusted iPod.

I will make a thread soon of the sub channel I am adding to my IS F - so far just in equipment I have spent $2500

Last edited by shahir18; 06-13-14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 09:00 PM
ranma21
Driver School Candidate

I have had MB Quartz back in the day and running diamond audio Hex, Pioneer ts-c720prs on both of my car now. Powered by old school power series PPI amp, very nice and clean sound. The new Pioneer Stage 4 has great review as well.
Old 06-16-14, 08:12 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by "that boy"
lol, I am an audio enthusiast

I recently picked up the Pioneer 80prs to add to my collection of Head Units. I still burn audio cd's just because it's the pure quality you get - mostly for adjusting and testing. Other then that, I use my trusted iPod.

I will make a thread soon of the sub channel I am adding to my IS F - so far just in equipment I have spent $2500
My audio shop quoted me $349 for that Pioneer 80PRS head unit, they say in terms of sound quality, that one tops the Alpine you recommended. I also read reviews that one is really great in terms of sound quality. I'm a tiny bit disappointed it doesn't have the HD radio capability standard. But I am happy with all the features and functions I'm about to get in my car that is 11 years old.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 06-16-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 08:38 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ranma21
I have had MB Quartz back in the day and running diamond audio Hex, Pioneer ts-c720prs on both of my car now. Powered by old school power series PPI amp, very nice and clean sound. The new Pioneer Stage 4 has great review as well.
Pioneer Stage 4 head unit is crazy $$, for me atleast lol
Old 06-16-14, 10:09 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
My audio shop quoted me $349 for that Pioneer 80PRS head unit, they say in terms of sound quality, that one tops the Alpine you recommended. I also read reviews that one is really great in terms of sound quality. I'm a tiny bit disappointed it doesn't have the HD radio capability standard. But I am happy with all the features and functions I'm about to get in my car that is 11 years old.
You can get it cheaper online from sources like abtelectronics
Old 06-16-14, 10:37 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by "that boy"
You can get it cheaper online from sources like abtelectronics
True but I don't know how to install myself, I won't get warranty, and I would save only about $80 at most if i purchased off the internet. Also I'm just wondering, is there a double din version of this head unit?
Old 03-17-17, 01:16 PM
willneil
Driver School Candidate

I think Herts better than Audison . I have HERTZ HSK 165 . In it, you will find two-way speakers with big 6.5 inches and tweeter and remote crossover controls. The power is decent 250 Watts peak and 125 Watts of RMS which is enough. It has an impedance of 4 Ohms which means it can play wide arrange of high and low sounds and with good construction it will deliver clear sound and precise bass.

Quick Reply: Best Component Speakers? Audison? Hertz?