Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How much to make trim panels for trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 05:56 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default How much to make trim panels for trunk?

Ok, its a very vague question I know.

I've been doing car audio for a very long time and ALWAYS undercharge and this must STOP! LoL I've recently been being contracted by a local shop to do some work, I can do ANYTHING. My question is, my next project is just finishing off a trunk thats been built. Its simple trim paneling to cover what was built. 2 sides, the front (covering air system) and the trunk bottom. Sides and front quite simple, the trunk floor is just tracing and building out of mdf, however customer wants a little ice chest built into the floor. Nothing special, just a cubby hole with a door. Still waiting on what he wants it covered with; vinyl or carpet. Its all going into a 52 chevy car business coupe.

Thats it. Any ideas? The shop just asks how much I give a dumb low number and they take it. We're barely beginning to do business, I've only done a few jobs, but he likes my work and I'll be doing a lot more in the future. Please no flaming, cause I KNOW somehow people will find a way to. Just need some answers

I appreciate it.
Old 07-17-13, 06:17 AM
Billisme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find out what other shops locally charge to do the same work or just charge an hourly rate. Since you've been doing this a long time you should have some idea what kind of time is involved.
Old 07-17-13, 08:18 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

i agree with Billisme thats the best way to get pricing..either a flat hourly rate or what the competition is charging.. sometimes its as simple as how much is my time worth..
Old 07-17-13, 10:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Lol yea, thats how I do business at home. I have customers bring me a quote and go by that, thus the reason why I dont know squat about pricing, it just doesnt sink in what I see

Im good at pricing for my own customers cause I rather charge low and gain lots of business. They save a large buck, I make a worthfull buck, however, shops charge a lot so I do need a piece of that
Old 07-17-13, 11:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

all done, thanks.
Old 07-18-13, 07:09 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

better to under charge and exceed their expectations than over charge and let them down... as i saw recently another shop charged $13k for (2) JL1000/1, (1)300/4, (2) 13w7's random mids and install.. the customer brought us the car because it had charging issues.... when i pulled a basic vinyl trim panel i saw a JLprefab encl and a batt cap....(oem batt under the hood) WOW... in my wildest dreams i couldnt do that too someone..
thats almost 8k in labor for NOTHING!!!!

now it has 3 new optima reds.. new custom enclosure and amp rack with frosted plexi and backlit (and 30% more trunk room than before) for far less than 8k..not only did it look better it sounded cleaner an clearer not too mention LOUD AS HELL...

he's since bought a new set of wheels an referred 3 friends... customer satisfaction is job 1..