Sponsored by:

Finally installed my Vaistech MML! Still have questions though

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 07:41 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Finally installed my Vaistech MML! Still have questions though

I installed my MML today in my ls430 with Levinson. I'm pretty happy with it. It's quirky, yes, but it's more due to the fact of my ancient navi in my 05.

Now, I've been thinking about it, and I STILL don't quite get it.

The MML and MML+ are considered to be the digital interfaces in the vaistech line. They take a USB input. Okay....Got it.

But I'm reading, hearing contradictory information.

Some say it's FULLY digital, that would mean in essence that it PASSES a digital output stream to my car, and my car decodes it- where I don't know.

However,in the manual it says that the unit has a 24 bit sigma DAC!! As far as I'm concerned that means digital to analog CONVERTER, and that means that the unit converts to analog to feed the Levinson.

So- what is the real answer here?

I'm assuming that ANY signal that that comes into the vaistech MUST be digital, no analog AT ALL, so, if i'm hearing any sound at all from my iphone that it is because the iphone is outputing a digital signal..but I'm not so sure about the vaistech PASSING that digital, if it PASSED the digital signal, than why would it have digital to analog convertor?

Can anyone explain it to me? It just doesnt make sense that this thing is considered fully digital Input AND output, yet it has a a DAC which obviously delineates a conversion in the vaistech itself.

Also- It's same to say that
Old 04-15-13, 09:58 AM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late Reply

Late Reply but...

The feed into the Mark Levinson is analogue/analog. The ML has no DAC (pretty sure as I've opened it up). The CD player also feeds the ML with an analogue signal, AFAIK.

HTH

Last edited by GS430SE2; 04-15-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 01:05 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I installed my MML today in my ls430 with Levinson. I'm pretty happy with it. It's quirky, yes, but it's more due to the fact of my ancient navi in my 05.

Now, I've been thinking about it, and I STILL don't quite get it.

The MML and MML+ are considered to be the digital interfaces in the vaistech line. They take a USB input. Okay....Got it.

But I'm reading, hearing contradictory information.

Some say it's FULLY digital, that would mean in essence that it PASSES a digital output stream to my car, and my car decodes it- where I don't know.

However,in the manual it says that the unit has a 24 bit sigma DAC!! As far as I'm concerned that means digital to analog CONVERTER, and that means that the unit converts to analog to feed the Levinson.

So- what is the real answer here?

I'm assuming that ANY signal that that comes into the vaistech MUST be digital, no analog AT ALL, so, if i'm hearing any sound at all from my iphone that it is because the iphone is outputing a digital signal..but I'm not so sure about the vaistech PASSING that digital, if it PASSED the digital signal, than why would it have digital to analog convertor?

Can anyone explain it to me? It just doesnt make sense that this thing is considered fully digital Input AND output, yet it has a a DAC which obviously delineates a conversion in the vaistech itself.

Also- It's same to say that
Lust4Lexus (or anyone with a 430 and MML),

Where did you route the USB female connector to? I'm hoping there is a spot on or around the dash (for easy ipod/phone access - really want to avoid the glove compartment) to cleanly run the female connector to and avoid any cutting/drilling.
Old 05-15-14, 11:08 AM
Royal12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Usb

I just installed my VAISTech MML last weekend and debated the same question. Easiest spot would be one of the removable wood panels in the console. By removing you can see what's behind them and you can determine if there is any interference. You can measure in front (gear selector) to make sure there is nothing interfering there. For now I am holding off on drilling anything. I placed the MML unit in the glove on the second shelf and am holding it in place (for now) with two pieces of foam. I plan to buy some heavy duty Velcro strips to affix the MML to the shelf. This will allow it to be removed when servicing the cabin filter yet hold it in place when plugging in the USB flash drives. Other places I thought about having for a USB socket are the center console storage area or the ashtray (I don't smoke) yet each has shortcomings. In the storage cubby, it would need to be protected against anything stored. In the ashtray the stick would need to be small if I wanted to close the door. For now I am leaning towards leaving it as-is, with the MML in the glove and plugging the stick directly into the unit. Everything is hidden which is nice. I have tons of storage available on several USB sticks and can plug them in as needed.

I am still figuring the MML out but am so far quite pleased. I only had one issue where the stereo did not recognize the MML and restarting the car (power cycle) fixed it. Sound is good and having the radio and steering wheel controls is nice. I may cancel my XM Satellite subscription as this fulfills my music needs and eliminates incessant DJ yakking and commercials.