ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics-12/)
-   -   ohm question (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/654025-ohm-question.html)

maxx430 09-05-12 08:05 PM

ohm question

I have a 2 ohm 350rms watt amp and a 400rms watt 4 ohm subwoofer.

Should i wire the sub to run 2 ohm? i want to get the most power out of my application.

Big Mack 09-05-12 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by maxx430 (Post 7467507)
I have a 2 ohm 350rms watt amp and a 400rms watt 4 ohm subwoofer.

Need more info. Brands, models. Your amp may be stable to 2 ohms stereo or 2 ohms mono, but cannot say for sure without the info. Is the sub a dual voice coil? Again, need the info.

Originally Posted by maxx430 (Post 7467507)
Should i wire the sub to run 2 ohm? i want to get the most power out of my application.

Maybe. Can't say without more. Not being facetious, it's literally impossible to answer these questions without knowing the models and brands so that it can be confirmed as safe to operate this way.

Big Mack

maxx430 09-05-12 10:33 PM

Thanks for comment Mack. I have a mono amp mrp350 and a CVR 10 kicker(the silver one).

Big Mack 09-05-12 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by maxx430 (Post 7467792)
Thanks for comment Mack. I have a mono amp mrp350 and a CVR 10 kicker(the silver one).

That's a DVC, but are they dual 2 ohms or dual 4 ohms? Makes a huge difference.

Amp is stable to 2 ohms, so if it's dual 2, you would not be able to load it to that. If it's dual 4, just wire the coils in parallel (both + to the + on the amp, etc.).

Big Mack

maxx430 09-06-12 07:59 AM

The back of the sub said its 4 ohms.

So i guess i can connect both + to + and - to -. I then run wires from the amp to either one of th sub terminal? Does this make louder? man am i such a newbie

Big Mack 09-06-12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxx430 (Post 7468203)

Per coil? I am not overly familiar with the kicker lineup, but there should be two coils on the sub. If there are, that would indicate 4 per coil, and you run a wire from each terminal on the amp to the corresponding terminal on the sub on one terminal. Run a short wire from + to + on the sub itself, and repeat for the - side. This wires both coils together in parallel and presents 2 ohms to the amp.

Does this make louder? man am i such a newbie

Not really, no. The purpose of a DVC is to allow a single speaker to play both sides of a stereo signal. Since bass is by nature mono, both coils should operate in sync with each other. Since they're both hooked to the same cone, however, you don't really gain any volume since you are not moving more air.

Big Mack

Rozay604 09-14-12 01:52 AM

So i guess i can connect both + to + and - to -. I then run wires from the amp to either one of th sub terminal? Does this make louder? man am i such a newbie

go on the kicker website and double check. Those subs has a dot on one terminal and a non dot. if wired wrong, u can blow the sub.