Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can I install an aftermarket sub with no aftermarket H/U?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 12:11 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I install an aftermarket sub with no aftermarket H/U?

I want to add a single sub in the trunk just so I get a little more bump but I want to keep the stock dash look. Is it possible to wire the sub to the stock amp that is already in the car or would I have to install a second amp? I know how to do wiring and stuff, I just don't know how to setup up an audio system correctly.
Old 07-27-12, 12:43 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I just got 2 kickers installed with an amp into my stock H/U. but you probably need a second amp to power the sub to make it sound good.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-27-12, 12:52 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

How would I go about hooking up the amp? Can I just piggy back it off of the stock amp?
Old 07-27-12, 04:17 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To do what you want to do I'd get an Infinity basslink or something along those lines.
Old 07-27-12, 05:52 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mdbrown
To do what you want to do I'd get an Infinity basslink or something along those lines.
Hmmm...looks about right. Where is it hooked up to? I can tackle the install myself if I have instructions or guidance as to where it's supposed to be hooked up to.
Old 07-27-12, 08:21 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Not sure what you are referring too. The input would be the speaker wire to the current sub. Run a fused power line from the battery and you can either ground it to the chassis in the trunk where it's mounted or you can run a ground wire back to the battery. For the remote turn on you have a couple of choices, best choice would be to tap into the amp remote wire of the stock unit (blue/white tracer) or tape into any acc power source. If you go with the amp trigger unit will only power up when the radio is on, if you tap into any acc source then it turns on with the ignition. Bolt it to the floor of the trunk right behind the seat and you'll be set.
Old 07-27-12, 09:42 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Not sure what you are referring too. The input would be the speaker wire to the current sub. Run a fused power line from the battery and you can either ground it to the chassis in the trunk where it's mounted or you can run a ground wire back to the battery. For the remote turn on you have a couple of choices, best choice would be to tap into the amp remote wire of the stock unit (blue/white tracer) or tape into any acc power source. If you go with the amp trigger unit will only power up when the radio is on, if you tap into any acc source then it turns on with the ignition. Bolt it to the floor of the trunk right behind the seat and you'll be set.
Hmm that seems pretty simple. Is the sub input wire easy to access and what ACC source would be best to use?
Old 07-28-12, 12:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Not sure what you are referring too. The input would be the speaker wire to the current sub.
No. Absolutely NO. You will overpower the circuit that is designed for high level signals if you run the sub out into it. It is designed to interface with low powered decks on regular speaker outputs, not an 80 watt sub line. It is also designed for stereo input, not mono.

I suggest figuring out (using search) which wires are hooked to the rear speakers of the car through the amp and tapping into those. They will not have nearly the power output, and you need to tap all 4 wires (left +/-, right +/-).

Run a fused power line from the battery and you can either ground it to the chassis in the trunk where it's mounted
Should stop here.

or you can run a ground wire back to the battery.
This is not a good plan. Ground should be as short as possible. Keep in mind that power travels from negative to positive. Shortest path is best.

For the remote turn on you have a couple of choices, best choice would be to tap into the amp remote wire of the stock unit (blue/white tracer) or tape into any acc power source. If you go with the amp trigger unit will only power up when the radio is on, if you tap into any acc source then it turns on with the ignition.
If you are recommending he use the high level input, then you should understand that the Infinity will turn itself on when it sees a signal present on the high level inputs. No RTO needed.

Bolt it to the floor of the trunk right behind the seat and you'll be set.
Agreed. I would recommend firing it back toward the trunk opening and, of course, remove the stock sub. Be sure to cap off any wires from that to prevent amp letting out the magic smoke.

Big Mack
Old 07-28-12, 01:14 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Did not think the stock sub amp was powerful enough to overload the high level inputs. Did not know about the signal sensing circuit either. I have heard an installed basslink and found them to be an adequate alternative to the stock setup but I've never installed one. Good info, thanks.
Old 08-12-12, 05:09 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to sand the paint away when you bolt your ground. I drill and bolt after sanding, then spray a thin coat of clear to keep it from corroding.