Sponsored by:

looking for new set up in the GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 08:22 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default looking for new set up in the GS

After installing a new head unit within the car for a while now, I've been noticing that the stock speakers in the GS are very bad, sound like junk, and need upgrading.

That said, I know NOTHING about speakers.

I don't want to do anything too crazy, maybe an amp and a box in the back along with upgrading all interior speakers. Does anyone know where I would start for a new set up or best bang for the buck on speakers, amps, etc.
Old 06-10-12, 10:17 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

here some pics of my old gs... but this is going 1off custom... 2nd thread is what another CL member did.. 2gs is a great platform for audio... skys the limit (as long as u can afford it)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-lexus-gs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...e-in-a-gs.html
Old 06-10-12, 10:59 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fairly sure someone under this section did a full write up on brands and quality speakers/subs/amps and such. I personally am I fan of Kicker and made my whole car kicker. But I also like alpine, polk audio, and infinity. Good quality and price.
Old 06-10-12, 11:25 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
here some pics of my old gs... but this is going 1off custom... 2nd thread is what another CL member did.. 2gs is a great platform for audio... skys the limit (as long as u can afford it)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-lexus-gs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...e-in-a-gs.html
Originally Posted by irishcharm
I am fairly sure someone under this section did a full write up on brands and quality speakers/subs/amps and such. I personally am I fan of Kicker and made my whole car kicker. But I also like alpine, polk audio, and infinity. Good quality and price.

thanks to both of u

i guess thats the problem with any audio. there are so many possibilities and you can mix and match and noone really has the "perfect" set up.

i myself wanna do it right the first time so i dont have to regret my purchase or do it all over.

i've heard a lot of good things about focal and or jbl w7.
Old 06-10-12, 12:07 PM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have heard good things about focal but have no personal experience to my knowledge. i really am not a fan at all with JL or JBL. just my $0.02.

selecting a setup can take some time if you want to do it right. my biggest gripe are people who want it all but won't allow the financial budget for it. step one - figure out your budget and what you are willing to spend (factor in if you are doing the labor yourself or taking it to an audio shop. step two - take everyones' advice, including myself, with a few grains of salt. step three - search for sales and deals. you dont need to spend money at retailer A if retailer B sells the same thing for less. just be careful that they are an authorized dealer. as a side note: if the prices all seem to be the same for your items, see who has extras like free shipping or speaker brakets/instructions/ect. Just get the best bang for your buck.

for example. my kicker stuff I bought from sonicelectronix.com and the main part of it directly from stillwater designs. so I know my warranties are valid. where as ebay stuff is not an authorized retailer. I will also rep kicker forever but I'm not saying they are the be all end all, they are just great for me and the music I listen to as well as price point.

there are a lot of people who will claim one thing and others who will try to influence your decisions, take it as advice only. I love people that say Sony Xplod stuff is the best stuff ever at 1300 watts for an amp that costs $120. its not good stuff anymore and is mostly junk. that being said quality = value = cost. feel free to PM me if you need any input with selections. As an active member of the PennState University Performance Auto Club I get a number of messages about audio selection and such so I don't mind helping. Cheers.
Old 06-10-12, 02:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Before you jump into a decision on a set of speakers for your car, the best advice anyone can give you is to listen. Listen to as many sets of speakers as you can that are in your price range, and maybe some that are just outside it. If you like the ones that are in your range, good. If you like the ones that are just outside your price range more, save and buy them. You will be glad you did. Everyone hears differently and likes different things when listening. Some like a lot of mid so that voices are clear. Some like metal tweeters, others find them shrill.

When shopping, don't go in with the intent of purchasing that day unless you've done your homework already, and be honest with the salesperson. If you're there to listen, you're there to listen. Ask for patience, what they would recommend, and if they have any sales on. There may be an opportunity to build a relationship there - especially if you're going to be relying on someone to install it for you, which most companies require in order for you to get the maximum warranty, so that's something else to consider. On a $100 set of speakers, probably not a huge concern. On a $900 set of speakers, it should be.

The budget advice is good, too. You want to ensure that you have a realistic expectation when the time comes. Equipment has come down significantly in price in the last 10 years, but you cannot expect a set of speakers that cost $80 to sound like a set of $800 ones.

Big Mack
Old 06-10-12, 03:56 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Big Mack has it dead on...LISTEN to as many different brands as possible..(may need to find custom shops as big box stores usually dont keep high end products in stock or on display) find the ones u like..then get them... do your homework.. read reviews (from varying sites and sources) that goes for installation too.. i've seen super high end products sound horrible due to shoddy installation..

good luck