Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

It is neccessary to drill holes in my LS430 to modify the audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 05:35 PM
Mekare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile It is neccessary to drill holes in my LS430 to modify the audio system?

I have a stereo mod question (two actually). I want to swap out my stock non-nav stereo for one that allows me to use Bluetooth with my android phone and USB flash drives for music. I have this one on my wish list: JVC-KW-XR810

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-XR810-W...=2YDP7ZW5JALAR

It does what I want without hundreds in bells and whistles I don't want. I also wanted to add my boxed set of 10" woofers and amp I have from my previous car and leave all else be at this point with some consideration towards upgrading the other speakers down the road.

Every car stereo professional I have spoken to says the car is sealed up so tight they have to drill holes under the back seat, in the car body, to accommodate the wires for the added woofer and amp. Is this true? I've perused all other posts regarding aftermarket systems and see no one else mention this. I worry this will compromise the sound proofing of the cab or otherwise have undesirable results.

My secondary question is will I lose any use of my steering wheel functionality. I would really like to keep everything fully functional. Again, the stereo shops in the Portland, Oregon metro area cannot answer this question...the best I get is a maybe.

Thanks in advance for any comments and help.
Old 12-26-11, 08:36 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

They are incompetent if they tell you they have to drill holes in the rear deck to put an amp in. You must drill a hole if an accommodating grommet cannot be found in the firewall, but I'm pretty sure there is one on the driver's side next to the steering shaft (IIRC). That should be the only hole needed, since you ground the amp in the back and run the cables from the dash and under the carpet. It's certainly not a cake walk since the job likely means taking out the interior for the easiest access to everything, but a good technician should be able to do this job without a huge issue. Back at my shop, we'd have asked for 2 days with the car just to make sure it was done slowly and correctly. Why rush it, you know? Of course, we'd also work with you to see what future upgrade plans might include and run extra cables if it was going to be beneficial. No sense taking the car apart twice if you can spend an extra few bucks and make it upgrade ready.

And no, you cannot keep your steering wheel controls, unfortunately. They do not make an interface for the Lexus that will allow you them to operate a new unit. Bummer, but that's the breaks.

Big Mack
Old 12-27-11, 07:46 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

And no, you cannot keep your steering wheel controls, unfortunately. They do not make an interface for the Lexus that will allow you them to operate a new unit. Bummer, but that's the breaks.
Not even PAC?
Old 12-27-11, 12:19 PM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currenty there are no steering wheel, aftermarket controls, available for your car from Axxess or PAC.

and yes those installers are lazy and incompetent and need to be in other fields then car audio. I mean with the exception of a honda 2000 I had to drill a hole in the firewall due to the inability to access a grommit. But i made my own grommit during the process.
Old 01-02-12, 12:10 PM
Mekare
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your responses. I want to clarify one aspect though. They did want to drill multiple holes, and I believe you answered the one well enough regarding wiring an amp. They also claim they need to drill holes to wire the box though; stating there are no holes behind the back seat. I think, from what I am reading in your current responses, if I found someone willing to disassemble the seats, this would not even be necessary. I wanted to clarify however.
I'm debating on asking the Lexus dealer if they can do it. I seriously doubt they know anything about stereo installation though.
Once again, I appreciate your input.
Old 01-02-12, 03:13 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Mekare
Thank you for your responses. I want to clarify one aspect though. They did want to drill multiple holes, and I believe you answered the one well enough regarding wiring an amp. They also claim they need to drill holes to wire the box though; stating there are no holes behind the back seat. I think, from what I am reading in your current responses, if I found someone willing to disassemble the seats, this would not even be necessary. I wanted to clarify however.
I'm debating on asking the Lexus dealer if they can do it. I seriously doubt they know anything about stereo installation though.
Once again, I appreciate your input.
RUN!!!!

The gas tank is right behind the rear seat, so unless they plan on removing that in order to drill some holes in the metal, it's not happening. Removing the rear sub from the factory should allow for plenty of sound to pass through, and has been done by countless members here who didn't want to tear up their nice luxury cars simply to get more bass. Removing the rear seats is necessary in order to get the wiring back there since you have to find a space for it (what can I say, the cars are tightly made...). Beyond that, you shouldn't need extra holes since you certainly don't come across as a basshead who wants to drop absolute bottom all day long.

Find a qualified and competent installer and go from there. And no, the dealer won't do this work. They don't have installers on staff, nor do they want the liability.

Big Mack
Old 01-02-12, 05:09 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

i've done 2 or 3 430's an if memory serves theres a large grommet in the upper corners about where the shock towers are just under the rear deck...it'll take some work but they are there... yes the gas tank is an issue.. so find a high shop to do your work..the last thing u want is some id10t wiring around the gas tank an screwing up!!!
Old 01-03-12, 08:26 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shibumi your correct. its covered by a pre cut rubberish grommet.

OP - shop around for installers. I know a local shop around my house (Audio Se%$@!!0*$) and don't require their installers to have any professional experience nor certifications. Which is fine but they aren't known for quality work. just choose your shop wisely and attempt to get feedback from others in the meantime.