Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Removing CD changer from glove compartment

How had is it to do this? Thanks.
Old 10-25-02, 10:21 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GLOVEBOX CD CHANGER REMOVAL

It is not hard to remove. Depending on what model you have there are 6 to seven screws to remove and it drops the glove box and the changer held in with easily removed 9 0r 10mm nuts.
Here are some other tips when deinstalling the changer. The cd changer cable unplugs from back of cd changer and remains in the vehicle plugged into a dummy receptacle on the air ducts behind the glove box. There is no separate wiring harness that stays with cd changer when removed. The cd changer connector is part of the main wiring harness but is hidden in a dummy plug if the car doesn’t come from with a cd changer from the factory. If you cut off the cd changer wiring harness then a cd changer could not be installed when a future Lexus collector puts the original stereo equipment back in the car. So just disconnect the wiring harness from the plug on the changer. If you need exact instructions you would have to give year and model of the Lexus vehicle. Each model has a different glove box and a different non-compatible cd changer. In fact each Lexus model have 2 cd changers one for the nakanmich system and one for the pioneer system but they are both made by pioneer. Nakamichi doesn’t make Lexus glove box changers or speakers or headunits for that matter. The only thing made by nakamichi in the nakamichi system is the amplifier.

EDIT: Please do not type in all caps.

Last edited by pcmw; 02-28-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 11:29 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude.......caps lock
Old 10-26-02, 03:33 PM
Neo
The One

Sorry about that. I have a 98 GS300 with the Pioneer system.

Last edited by Neo; 10-26-02 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 07:03 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here some pics. Use a flat head screw driver and pop out the lower cover of the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails Removing CD changer from glove compartment-dsc00843.jpg  
Old 10-26-02, 07:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Then remove 2-10mm bolts from the lower part of the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails Removing CD changer from glove compartment-dsc00845.jpg  
Old 10-26-02, 07:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Then remove 3- philip head screws from the upper part of the glove box. And use a flat screw driver gently pry behind the glove box to release it from the clips.
Attached Thumbnails Removing CD changer from glove compartment-dsc00846.jpg  

Last edited by VVT-i; 10-26-02 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 07:09 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Now, you'll see the CD changer and then remove 3 or 4 of 12 mm nuts. I hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails Removing CD changer from glove compartment-dsc00850.jpg  

Last edited by VVT-i; 10-26-02 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 09:21 PM
Neo
The One

Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-27-03, 06:34 PM
GSjason
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Can someone post a pic of where the CD Changer stays plugged into the car? I was told that every car comes with the cable prewired.

I have a 98GS with the Lexus Premium System and had no changer. I purchased the correct Pioneer changer and can not find the plug for it in my car? I have the glove box off right now and can not located the plug!!

Help!!!!
Old 03-01-03, 12:34 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

since the october 02 thread i have helped many gs owners install their gs changers.apparently there is not a prewired gs cd changer cable from 98 up gs cars. only if gs came ordered from the factory with a cd changer is the prewired cable there.the es, rx, and ls glovebox changers are all prewired from the factory.
Old 03-03-03, 05:36 AM
Tom_ES300
Rookie

Originally posted by lexusaudio
since the october 02 thread i have helped many gs owners install their gs changers.apparently there is not a prewired gs cd changer cable from 98 up gs cars. only if gs came ordered from the factory with a cd changer is the prewired cable there.the es, rx, and ls glovebox changers are all prewired from the factory.

Yep, that matches what I see in my 2000 ES300. I ordered it without the CD. I have a pair of connectors with caps on the connectors, for the CD, tucked in behind the glovebox.

Tom
Old 03-11-18, 03:09 PM
ezryder
Driver School Candidate

Default Removing 5 disc player

just thought I’d check- if I remove the 5 disc player from the glove compartment can I simply plug a blue tooth player into the same cable or is it not that easy? Thank you!
Old 10-18-20, 08:56 PM
Lige
Driver School Candidate

Default I have a 1997 es300 and have no clue how to uninstall the deck.

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
It is not hard to remove. Depending on what model you have there are 6 to seven screws to remove and it drops the glove box and the changer held in with easily removed 9 0r 10mm nuts.
Here are some other tips when deinstalling the changer. The cd changer cable unplugs from back of cd changer and remains in the vehicle plugged into a dummy receptacle on the air ducts behind the glove box. There is no separate wiring harness that stays with cd changer when removed. The cd changer connector is part of the main wiring harness but is hidden in a dummy plug if the car doesn’t come from with a cd changer from the factory. If you cut off the cd changer wiring harness then a cd changer could not be installed when a future Lexus collector puts the original stereo equipment back in the car. So just disconnect the wiring harness from the plug on the changer. If you need exact instructions you would have to give year and model of the Lexus vehicle. Each model has a different glove box and a different non-compatible cd changer. In fact each Lexus model have 2 cd changers one for the nakanmich system and one for the pioneer system but they are both made by pioneer. Nakamichi doesn’t make Lexus glove box changers or speakers or headunits for that matter. The only thing made by nakamichi in the nakamichi system is the amplifier.

EDIT: Please do not type in all caps.
My cd changer in my glove box got stuck and the cartridge won’t come out so I need to know how to uninstall my cd changer.