Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Audiophile/Spl Sub Advice Needed ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 04:42 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audiophile/Spl Sub Advice Needed ASAP!!

Wassup everyone i usually dont need advice or help in this department but recently i found myself to be a little overwhelmed with my choices, a few days ago i noticed that one of the terminals on my image dynamics idmax 12d2 detached itself from the coil, so its a one coil wonder at the moment and instead of getting it reconed or buying a recone kit i decided its time to try another brand of sub, some of the subs ive gone through and in no kind of order are,

jl 12w6 (first version)
oz audio 300h and oz audio 300l (very old school for those who remember)
infinity kappa perfect 12dvq
mtx 8500 and 9500 12
rockford fosgate power 3 12 (very first power series sub)
infinity beta 10 and beta 12 (also very old school)
pioneer impp 12 and premier impp 12 (old school)
and ect, ect, ect..

So with that being said i need a new sub, im looking for something that can get down as well as play a pretty flat response when it needs to, the box im using is a 1.25 cube sealed enclosure and ill have 1000 real rms watts going to it, so with those specs in mind im looking into my options and would love to hear what other people have to offer as far as advice in a sub decision, thanx for everyones help in advance and thanx for bearing with the long read
Old 12-11-10, 07:48 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Alright well with no responses ive kinda made up my own mind, i was debating between an old school jl 12w6 an eclipse ti 12 or a elemental designs 13av.2, i ended up going with the eclipse for various reasons including price, so thanx anyway everyone and if anyone has audio questions just shoot them my way and ill see if i can help you out...

P.S. anyone ever feel like they were having a conversation with themselves???
Old 12-12-10, 12:08 AM
aznaznazn
Driver

i havent read much on some of those subs. but i have a w6v2 and its more for SQ then spl. your idmax is a very good sub Strong SPL with good SQ. sucks that it died :/
good luck on your new sub. tell us how it sounds :]
Old 12-12-10, 06:22 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznaznazn
i havent read much on some of those subs. but i have a w6v2 and its more for SQ then spl. your idmax is a very good sub Strong SPL with good SQ. sucks that it died :/
good luck on your new sub. tell us how it sounds :]
thanx man, yeah it sucks that it bit the dust , but being the trooper that it is its still bumpin in the ride as we speak, that one good coil is doing double duty so to speak, but yeah the w6v2 ive installed in a few cars had a nice sound to it really neutral with nice low extension in a sealed enclosure, but at the same time the newer jl stuff has an iphone feel to it (no offense to anyone with an iphone or newer jl stuff), what i mean is everyone who has one thinks its the best thing out and instantly becomes a rep for the company, anyway without rambling ive heard good reviews on the eclipse sub so im gonna give it a try, also being designed by tc sounds is a plus all together,
Old 12-12-10, 10:15 AM
egggy
Driver School Candidate

There's nothing spl about any of those subs u listed

u want a flat response, and u have a small sealed box

You sure u want spl?
Old 12-12-10, 10:32 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by egggy
There's nothing spl about any of those subs u listed

u want a flat response, and u have a small sealed box

You sure u want spl?
mtx 8500/9500, idmax12, rockford power 3, whats not so spl about any of those? also i could have titled it differently because certainly I'm not looking to win any comps but i wanted to be able to dump lows when i need it to, but for reference my current semi busted idmax hit 145db using a termlab in a 1.25c sealed enclosure, so i was trying to look for something with similar qualities as the id
Old 12-12-10, 11:17 AM
egggy
Driver School Candidate

145? legal? sealed up with the mic on the dash? yeah, i don't believe that.

But anyway..it may be time to go ported.

as far as drivers go

check out the

jbl gti
ssa icon
fi q/bl/ssd
dc lvl 3/4
sundown sa
sundown nightshade
Old 12-12-10, 12:21 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by egggy
145? legal? sealed up with the mic on the dash? yeah, i don't believe that.

But anyway..it may be time to go ported.

as far as drivers go

check out the

jbl gti
ssa icon
fi q/bl/ssd
dc lvl 3/4
sundown sa
sundown nightshade
Not sure if it was legal and no they didn't seal it on the dash it was rigged on this suction cup that extended down to the driver shoulder area (it was a local event sponsored by circuit city when i worked there), anyway i pondered on the idea of getting a fi bl but didn't want to wait for the build time, as for the jbl gti i get them as well as every other jbl/harmon/infinity product under accommodations for a very good price, i never had a thing for anything jbl besides there old school stuff that was somewhat decent (amps), no real experience with there subs either so i didn't want to take a chance on something i wasn't to familiar with, Ive also heard good things about the sundown nightshade as well as there amps but every one of he two cars Ive heard that had SD subs in it were large ported boxes that helped them get loud but very muddy at the same time, but if i were to go ported i would have went with a juggrnaut or dreadnaut for price reasons as i get those cheap too... thanx for the input though knowledge is power
Old 12-12-10, 12:35 PM
egggy
Driver School Candidate

Those sundowns u heard were in a poorly designed box. The sa is a far superior woofer in sq than the whole ID line(tons of reviews to back this up on diyma) and they crap all over em in spl.

The jbl is probably the perfect blend between sq and spl..the funky ohm loads are usually a deal breaker, though.

In your case, i'd consider the sundown sa's or the ssa icons/dcons

either 2 10's, 2 12's, or a couple 8's