Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 08:31 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big thanks to the original poster, poster with the test lead discovery and all input on this thread. I followed the above posts and ended up doing this to my 2002 LS 430, non nav. I looked at the Vaistech but wanted to be able to see my playlist and song info but could not find any info on their website to verify I could do that. I considered an aftermarket HU but decided against it. I considered removing the CD player and putting a small tablet behind the CD door with slideouts and decided against that option too.
The test leads on my cassette player circuit board were not labeled L-C-R so I had to do trial and error to get the connections correct(The center was NOT the common lead on my circuit board.). I used the connector mentioned above and wired it to a 3.5mm plug and ran it through the holes in the console to where you see it coming out into the music player.
Pic 1-Connector on my circuit board.

Pic 2-Wires connected.
Pic 3-Wires coming out the HU.
Pic 4-Two gang electrical box, Cassette adaptor and green sticky for holding music player.
Pic 5-Plastic cut to size.
Pic 6-Glues to adapter.(Black mark on left is where I had to drill off to avoid part of metal.
Pic 7-Fitting.
Pic 8-Test fit.
Pic 9-Cut and painted.
Pic 10-In place with rubber on back to hold when pressing music player(There are two rubber stoppers, one midway down).
Pic 11-Operational.
I plan on making another one and cutting it to the exact size of the player to make it look like it is floating in front of the HU.
I haven't had any humming but if I do, I'll put a line isolater in the circuit.
My 3-in-1 plug just came in today so I will run the power cord behind the HU and put it in the accessory tray on the right of the ECT button. The 3-in-1 has lighting, micro usb and 30 pin connectors with usb common connector. If I decide to use my phone on it the 3-in-1 will power it.
There is no stress on the cassette and I doubt if a phone resting on it will stress it either.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11
Old 04-22-15, 02:10 AM
jeremylamb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello everyone this is my actual first post on this forum. I have a 99 SC with a Nakamichi system can I gotta tell you the inside looks completely different than the pioneers. I was able to find the test points they're marked R-ch and L-ch no third post for the ground. no big deal though. my question is will I need to add capacitors when I wire it up this way? secondly will this work with my android? I don't see what the problem would be but somebody seem to run across one.
Old 05-11-15, 09:17 PM
jeremylamb
Driver School Candidate

Ok so im confused...ive seen the insides of atleast four lexus sc radios pioneer and Nakamichi and they all look diffrrent than mine!!! Ive got a 99 sc400 and i dont see the three testing pins everyone was talking about...what i do see is these two connector spots that are labled RcH & LcH on the right side of the unit...i can only assume these are the test points.. the inside looks nothing like any of the photographs ive seen...again this is from a 99 sc400 with Nakamichi...
Old 07-12-15, 11:49 AM
wth98sc
Driver

Ok I'm either a moron or blind... I cannot seem to find any of these cables to do this write up... can someone help me
Old 09-03-15, 08:25 AM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the diy!
Old 10-07-15, 03:37 PM
DrewL
Driver School Candidate

I completed this mod in my 1995 SC300 with the Pioneer stereo using a cable I purchased from MicroCenter in the computer parts section. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my ash tray and installed a 3.5mm input port. My tape deck is DOA, but I discovered that if I leave my CD changer open in the trunk, it makes a constant clear channel when I select the CD changer button that I need to play music through the Auxiliary input jack. This is much better than having a fake tape running all the time.
Old 01-26-16, 05:27 PM
Blutarsky0
Driver School Candidate

I completed this mod in my '95 SC300 as well.
I re-purposed a 3 pin cpu fan cord from an old dead desktop, and it popped right on the pins in the pioneer ("premium sound") unit.

fan power cord plugged onto the test header

I used the 5 pin radio shack stereo plug, this was the proper way to solder the wires to it

routed the cord through the side, tape holds it in place. I left this plug behind the dash to alleviate wear and tear on it. Plug the cord in and forget it.

I routed the cord through the ash tray. It tucks away out of sight when it isn't in use. I put a CD that the changer doesn't read anyways upside down in slot 12 to get the ERR message and a silent channel to play music over. I attached my binder clip phone mount to the flip out cupholder since it's useless for holding drinks and it keeps my phone in an easy to see and use spot. Also, I took a call from my wife while it was plugged in, and the phone mic was able to pick up what I was saying just fine while playing the call audio over the car speakers.
Old 02-01-16, 08:33 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nakamichi

Has anybody been able to figure a way to do something similar with the Nak's head unit yet?
Old 02-06-16, 08:57 PM
sc300300
Driver School Candidate

Did this today. Didn't read as carefully as I should have and popped the front face off, which was fine, gave me more access. Everything went as planned, but when I put it back together

1. the lcd lights up but doesnt display anything
2. none of the EQ or fader/balance ***** respond
3. sound only from the driver front speaker and sub

any ideas? I pulled the head unit out, rechecked the ribbon for the faceplate and for the ***** on the faceplate board, nothing seems wrong.
Old 02-25-16, 02:12 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone had the chance to pull their NAK unit out and see if this is possible?
I've got time off from work and will be tackling this, would just like to see if anyone has at least attempted it with the NAK head unit. Thanks!
Old 02-26-16, 06:12 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

So I took out my NAK unit this morning. There is NO three pin hookup.
So at this point I've got a tape player that plays extreme static when a tape is in, and a CD changer that only plays a specific CD that I'm not fond of. Haha. So I'm thinking of having the tape player repaired by a local shop so I can use a tape adapter. I don't have the skills to tackle the NAK hack. Does anyone else have any ideas for the stock radio to play an auxiliary input? Thanks.
Old 04-07-16, 04:35 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Any comment on volume level, if line-out level (not the head-phone) is used. The CD output hijack aux-in needed headphone out .. or reduced volume through the line out.

Reason I am asking is that I custom built an amp .. single to dual rail to feed the cd-in. I would like to remove that if the volume level via the tape is good.

Salim
Old 04-12-16, 08:24 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Post Line/Tape In

I'm sorry but I wasn't able to follow what you're saying but on my Nak system, but when I was using the CD in lines for my MP3 player, I had to use an Amp I bought on Ebay but there were too many problems with keeping the CD player working so when I went back to using a tape adapter, I didn't need to use the amp again, the tape part of the head unit raises the volume well enough on it's own.
Old 04-21-16, 11:11 AM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to attempt this. Wish me luck.
Old 04-24-16, 11:10 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Ok then, I will pull out the amp I built and tidy up the things a bit more. I just have to insert the pins back in the connector.

Tempock, please share your after surgery experience.

1. Level of signal .. as you switch from Radio, CD to aux-in ... I assume you will be feeding pre-amp level signals (where the you do not have any volume control on the output from your external device).

2. Charger noise/hum of the external device.

Salim

Quick Reply: DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC