Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which connection would you prefer Integrating your iPhone/iPod to your car stereo?
Wired Digital
50.00%
Wired RCA
5.56%
A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth)
61.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

!!! iPhone 4/3GS/iPod - Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) directly to ML !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 01:16 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow !!! iPhone 4/3GS/iPod - Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) directly to ML !!!

I started replying to some posts which people found it usefull, so I decided to go little more indepdth.

I have an iPhone 4.0 and my goal is to stream music, radio, audio books, iTunes-U etc. to my 3rd Generation (2007) GS450h ML (5th Gen NAV.) I prefer A2DP for haste free, out of pocket media streaming, and wired would be nice as well at times to be able to charge the device, use a cradle for streaming radio, NAV – traffic info, etc.

I have used the A2DP feature with loaner 2010 HS250h, and that was an awesome, hassle free, works on the fly, the only down side to it doesn’t transfer the control to Car Stereo.
My 2007 GS doesn’t have the A2DP feature, nor the AUX port, so here I’m.

Currently I’m researching all available products, and looking for factual inputs on “Sound Quality”, “Additional Devices” – which would do the same or better, Pros and Cons...

So far I’m narrowing down to the Music/Audio device best suited for me – MediaBridge MB1500-Toyota, and that may change with valid inputs.

I've done some extensive research on this topic and I can say that VAIS, DICE and Scosche are products that can get you there. As with most products, you get what you pay for, and it comes down to Price, Sound Quality, Convenience.

VAIS - has some great products!!
PROS: Video or Digital Audio (different products)
CONS: Wired only!!

Here are the products and features that caught my attention:

1. “VML (MultiMediaLinQ) is a beautifully engineered high-end device with spectacular clear, impressive natural, absolutely free of distortion audio.” VAIS website
a. Digital Audio
b. Ports songs/playlist into ML Screen (with limitation of ~999 songs)
c. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
d. Satellite Radio integration
e. Built in HDD
2. SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) – Allows to play Video on ML NAV screen from iPod/iPhone iTunes library only.
a. No “Digital Audio”
b. Streams Video from iPod/iPhone iTunes Library only (Can’t stream TV, YouTube…)
c. Ports Songs/Playlist into ML Screen (with limitation of ~999 songs)
d. Satellite Radio integration
e. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
Video is nice but it has limited feature-set, and comes on a device that isn’t “Digital Audio”.
Digital Audio is great, you get a build in HDD, but no A2DP  which would be awesome!!

DICE - have awesome products!!!
PROS: A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth), Digital Audio, + more (Same product)
CONS: no video

Here is the product and features that caught my attention:

1. MediaBridge MB1500-Toyota “The MediaBridge audio circuitry is designed to meet or exceed the sound quality of any premium audio system.”
“The MediaBridge is an entertainment and information connectivity device that is o˜ered in two configurations providing connectivity for Bluetooth hands-free and music streaming, USB digital connection for iPod™ and iPhone™, direct connection for USB Flash based mass storage devices and the aftermarket SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio tuner and portable radios. MediaBridge is Made for iPod (MFi) and Works with iPhone (WWi) compliant allowing a full featured iPod/iPhone experience over USB in the vehicle.” DICE website
a. A2DP and ports some level of playlist/controls to ML
b. Digital Audio (USB)
c. Ports songs/playlist into ML Screen and full level of control via wire.
d. Controlled via ML or Steering Wheel
e. Satellite Radio Integration (Sirius SAT input)
f. AUX Input
g. USB port can be used with flash-drives as well
h. USB port can be “theoretically” used with 2.5” HDD (Will update once I try it)
i. Bluetooth hands-free phone talk (kind of redundant, since I have that in already)
j. Mic input comes with a mic.
MB1500 comes out in few days from the manufacturer and now is in pre-order state only.
I found a killer price on the unit, have already placed the order, will get it in few days, and will let you know if it all sounds as good as it sounds
Ping me for the info if interested.

Scosche - has some variety of products.
PROS: Clean A2DP with Scosche Bluetooth transmitter which will plug into your iphone/ipod, transmitting to BlueFusion Reciever which connects to the back of your ML.
CONS: Limits you to no charge while you have the Transmitter plugged in.
!!Distorted A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) using iPhone’s native A2DP!!
No Wired input. No USB.

1. BlueFusion (BFTAK)
a. - Plays calls through the factory stereo system
b. - Caller ID displays on the screen
c. - Answer and hang-up buttons located on the steering wheel and stereo
d. - Voice dialing with compatible Bluetooth cellular phones
e. - Compatible with A2DP streaming audio devices
A2DP carries over a lot of distortion with iPhone/iPod and could be solved by using their BT iPhone dongle which uses its own BT transmitter. Unfortunately you can't charge the phone while playing A2DP at the same time.

Currently in testing phase of all three of these products on my 2007 Lexus GS450h, will update with results

Ping me if you have any questions, and if you like the POST by all means, feel free to rate it
Old 09-05-10, 07:38 PM
sacko999
Driver School Candidate

Serggus,

I'm just following up with your post. (it has been a while)

I too am in the same boat you were in June. I have a 2007 RX350(w/NAV) with the need to integrate a Droid X and iPhone 4.

How did your tests turn out? What product did you go with?
Old 09-15-10, 07:09 PM
clemz
Driver School Candidate

any updates ? its been 4 months
Old 01-17-11, 08:53 PM
2008rx350
Driver School Candidate

Default What did you decide?

I am dying to know what solution you came up with. You're ahead on your research and the solution I came up with was :

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...6236&js=n#tabs

You'll need to get the bluetooth addon for that which is another 67 bones.. This will allow you do do everything mentioned.. With exception of video..

You're a hero if you can get a solution for this..
Old 01-19-11, 01:08 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

you can use BlackBerry Remote Stereo Gateway! works great with the iphone 4 / ipod touch
Old 01-20-11, 09:02 AM
2008rx350
Driver School Candidate

Default Great solution... but...

Looks fantastic.. cheap.. does exactly what I want. The only problem is. How do I connect it to my 350 RX without buying one of the above mentioned expensive contraptions? That's a line in, I don't know if we can hardwire it to the car?

Ideas?