Sponsored by:

Trying to upgrade my system on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 03:15 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I don't. I haven't played with an IB sub in quite a while, so I can't comfortably give a solid recommendation on one. The pitfall I mentioned remains true, however, so keep that in mind. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions, or you can check other threads.

Big Mack
I'm sorry for all the questions; but is an IB sub another name for air-free sub? Also, why would it take more power to control it properly; is it because there is no enclosure?

Thanks
Mousiee
Old 02-07-10, 07:20 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mousiee
I'm sorry for all the questions; but is an IB sub another name for air-free sub? Also, why would it take more power to control it properly; is it because there is no enclosure?
No worries, mang. How else are you supposed to learn? IB = Infinite Baffle. It is another term for free air, and yes, it is because there is no enclosure. An amplifier has to work to keep the woofer under control because there is so much air behind it. It takes a lot of movement of the cone to start to move air in a trunk - think about how much space is there. Keep at it!

Big Mack
Old 02-08-10, 01:20 AM
krazyl3gz
Driver

Is the double din a must? I'd probably get a single unless you go for navi.
Old 02-08-10, 08:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stereo

I have read all the posts and I think you should keep the current front and rears. I also read that you cant keep the stock sub working without the factory headunit. I believe thats incorrect. I will try and find the write up to where you can keep the factory sub working without the factory headunit. I had the same setup as you. I chose to rerun everything and repalce everything except for the some of the factory wiring. I even got the power antenna to work. Pm me if you would like more info on what I had done with my setup. I also chose to use two amps, and run 4 gauge wire, but I spent a little more than what I wanted. BUT in the end I was very happy with timely install. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 02-10-10, 08:08 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krazyl3gz
Is the double din a must? I'd probably get a single unless you go for navi.
Sorry I'm answering so late. Yes, I like the double din for DVD, plus imo it brings the interior up to date.
Old 02-10-10, 08:11 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I have read all the posts and I think you should keep the current front and rears. I also read that you cant keep the stock sub working without the factory headunit. I believe thats incorrect. I will try and find the write up to where you can keep the factory sub working without the factory headunit. I had the same setup as you. I chose to rerun everything and repalce everything except for the some of the factory wiring. I even got the power antenna to work. Pm me if you would like more info on what I had done with my setup. I also chose to use two amps, and run 4 gauge wire, but I spent a little more than what I wanted. BUT in the end I was very happy with timely install. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Thanks, I'll PM you. I'm entertaining all ideas.

Mousiee