Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

will an aftermark stereo sound better than the stock one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 11:57 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Weidmark.... sorry computer glitch.......
3) Purchase at least a single ten-inch subwoofer, a single 12 or a pair of ten inchers. These will provide enough air movement to keep you satisfied. A single ten in a well made enclosure with 500 watts of clean power will make you very happy and will surprise you with its output.

4) Buy a set of good one-inch dome tweeters and replace the factory tweeters. You can simply splice the wires into the existing car wiring. The reason for the new tweeters is that they will clean up your high end quite a bit as well as provide much more output than the factory Nakamichi tweeters which are mylar domes. You will need the extra output and clarity up top once you add the subwoofer. The extra bass output will make your system seem unbalanced and the treble will seem weak. Thus, the new tweeters will help out immensely.

5) Listen to your system and play around with it for at least a few months. Play all of your favorites discs and listen to how much better they sound. After you have gotten used to your new system then make more changes if you still think that there is something lacking. Do everything a little at a time and don't get into a rush to purchase things that you may not even need. Remember that there is not a right or wrong in the audio game. Ultimately, your ears are the only ones that you have to please. That is, if it sounds good to you then it is perfect.

As far as equipment recommendations: I have used Infinity, Nakamichi, Boston Acoustics, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony ES, JL Audio, Soundtream, Audiocontrol, MB Quart, Velodyne, etc... in my cars over the last 20+ years. Thus, I have experimented quite a bit.

To replace the factory tweeters I would recommend a soft dome one-inch tweeter set. The Boston original Pro series are outstanding but hard to find. Infinity Reference series is a silk dome that sounds pretty good. You will do fine with a one-inch silk or copolymer dome from any reputable manufacturer. The reason I am recommending a soft dome as opposed to an aluminum or titanium dome is because you will be mounting them high in the door. The metal domes tend to sound too bright in that location and you will probably think that they are too much. Also, the factory equalization done by Nakamichi/Lexus has likely boosted the treble in order to compensate for the factory mylar domes.

Subwoofers: JL audio are very good, easily found used and very reasonably priced. Boston Pro Series or Competitor series are a bit older but sound great and require small boxes.

Amplifier: The JL Audio 250/1 or 500/1 are excellent amplifiers and are readily available on ebay for a good price. The 500/1 is particularly good and has a great set of crossover/tuning tools in order to fine tune the sound of your subwoofer. Also, it has a remote bass level control that you can use from the driver's seat.

I apologize for the long post...........However, I hope that it helps you.
Again, PM me if you have more questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by lev00221; 07-09-09 at 12:03 AM.