Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Old 06-03-12, 05:02 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sub doesn't turn on unless the other speakers are on. That, or it was never on to begin with.
Old 06-03-12, 07:45 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The2JZFTW
The sub doesn't turn on unless the other speakers are on. That, or it was never on to begin with.
The sub should play even if you unplug the front/rear speakers from the aftermarket head unit. If not then you need to review the wiring and hookup. If it's not the wiring then it might be one of the components (head unit, sub amp, subwoofer).
Old 06-04-12, 07:40 AM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Originally Posted by raine
The sub should play even if you unplug the front/rear speakers from the aftermarket head unit. If not then you need to review the wiring and hookup. If it's not the wiring then it might be one of the components (head unit, sub amp, subwoofer).
That's probably it. I happened to disconnect the RCA cables by accident from the head unit, and it made a pop (sounded ugly). And if only one RCA cable is connected, it makes a humming noise. So something probably isn't wired right...
Old 06-08-12, 05:12 PM
BradT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome write up, I was just quoted over $800 in labor to do this. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Old 06-08-12, 05:44 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BradT
Awesome write up, I was just quoted over $800 in labor to do this. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
I will PM you my Paypal
Old 06-08-12, 05:45 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The2JZFTW
That's probably it. I happened to disconnect the RCA cables by accident from the head unit, and it made a pop (sounded ugly). And if only one RCA cable is connected, it makes a humming noise. So something probably isn't wired right...
Usually a humming noise is a ground issue... more so if it changes pitch with the engine rpm
Old 06-12-12, 11:23 AM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Only hums when 1 RCA cable is connected. I think the sub is just too weak. And my speakers are too loud.
Old 06-28-12, 06:15 PM
stocksc3
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 sc300 and I am trying to install a Pioneer AVIC Z130BT head unit to replace the factory stereo. So far the head unit turns on and I have wired all 4 of speakers straight from the head unit to the trunk as you showed. I am having a real hard time with figuring out how to wire the antenna so it goes down when I switch to sd card, bluetooth audio, or cd mode. My stock harness has 3 antenna wires: ant+ (pink/black), antA (blue/white), antB (yellow/red). My head unit has one blue antenna wire. Please help.
Thanks
Old 06-28-12, 06:35 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stocksc3
I have a 99 sc300 and I am trying to install a Pioneer AVIC Z130BT head unit to replace the factory stereo. So far the head unit turns on and I have wired all 4 of speakers straight from the head unit to the trunk as you showed. I am having a real hard time with figuring out how to wire the antenna so it goes down when I switch to sd card, bluetooth audio, or cd mode. My stock harness has 3 antenna wires: ant+ (pink/black), antA (blue/white), antB (yellow/red). My head unit has one blue antenna wire. Please help.
Thanks
Was your factory stereo Pioneer or Nakamichi?
Old 06-28-12, 06:39 PM
stocksc3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raine
Was your factory stereo Pioneer or Nakamichi?
Pioneer KEX-M8886ZT
Old 06-28-12, 06:54 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stocksc3
Pioneer KEX-M8886ZT
That one has different plugs in the back compared to what my car had, you'll have to find a wiring diagram for that particular model year to compare.
Old 06-30-12, 10:54 AM
jgilk1
Rookie

aside from splicing in to ~"D"~ harness is there any way of hooking up the factory sub woofer amp to an aftermarket head unit?

meaning that i would rather cut up $80 worth of metra adapters them cut the factory wire harness

and thanks to the op for posting this was getting ground interference when the ignition was in the on position (running or not) but not when the switch was in the acc position changed from the factory harness ground and wired to a chassis ground and fixed the issue...
Old 06-30-12, 08:15 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgilk1
aside from splicing in to ~"D"~ harness is there any way of hooking up the factory sub woofer amp to an aftermarket head unit?

meaning that i would rather cut up $80 worth of metra adapters them cut the factory wire harness

and thanks to the op for posting this was getting ground interference when the ignition was in the on position (running or not) but not when the switch was in the acc position changed from the factory harness ground and wired to a chassis ground and fixed the issue...
When I get my car back I'm planning on revising this how-to to completely eliminate the OEM main amp connections, mainly to get rid of the extra baggage and wiring... and that also happens to involve directly connecting the OEM sub amp to the aftermarket head unit.

But I don't have my car back yet, so it'll have to wait
Old 07-07-12, 12:12 AM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

hey i installed the aftermarket deck but when i turn my deck on it makes a hummmmmmm sound , when i play music you really dont hear it but when its on 0 volume it makes a hummmm , its also annoying when i have the deck on 0 volume and drive my car makes a hummm sound the faster i go the louder it gets . can you tell me why im getting this hmmmmm sound ?
Old 07-07-12, 12:19 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex1992
hey i installed the aftermarket deck but when i turn my deck on it makes a hummmmmmm sound , when i play music you really dont hear it but when its on 0 volume it makes a hummmm , its also annoying when i have the deck on 0 volume and drive my car makes a hummm sound the faster i go the louder it gets . can you tell me why im getting this hmmmmm sound ?
Sounds like a grounding issue. Where did you ground the head unit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!